Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Not yes. We end up with Benitez or McLaren and it will be an absolute disaster.

Come on give Benitez a bit of credit. I don't see how it would be a disaster, he's clearly got a good record as a manager?

He **** up with Liverpool in the end but a lot of that was due to the tension between him and those clueless owners.

Hmmm.

He messed up at Inter as well. Admitdely Mourinho hard act to follow but even so he messed up there.

No denying Benitez's has pedigree but he has seems to have lost the plot football wise recent years.

He left a worse Liverpool squad than arguably Houllier did.

Seems to alienate ppl and tbh think he'd be wrong fit for us .

Yeah I can see that point of view. Personally he's not my first or second choice but I don't think it would spell disaster.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Ancelotti. The poll was who you'd 'want' after all. I think the posters questioning his experience in managing a club of our stature and problems have a valid point, but he is obviously a world class manager. What I don't understand are those expecting Wilkins as his number two. Ancelotti previously had a different assistants at Milan and Juventus and Wilkins was clearly chosen to be his assistant at Chelsea due to his previous connections with the club. If, amazingly, Ancelotti did join, I really doubt he'd bring Wilkins. Has he made comments that he'd like to bring Wilkins with him to his next managerial role? Why are people so sure they are a double act?

Realistically, I think it will be Hughes. Which in my opinion is a solid choice. Moyes would probably be preferable and Deschamps perhaps more exciting. But I still believe Hughes has the credentials to be a success here. A post in the 'VT post of the year 2011' thread on Hughes made very persuading reading.

Finally, I would like to question the clamouring for Rafa **** Benitez. I may have only seen a few of his Inter Milan games last season, but two of those games included some of the most incredible examples of tactical naivety I can remember. Maicon defending from inside his own half against Gareth Bale two games running beggars belief. A NO to Rafa. Oh, and a NO to Steve McClaren too.

Does Ancelotti have that clause in his contract about managing another PL club? I'd like to think he'd come here if he was serious about taking the west ham job.. would be a great appointment imo.

I don't think he was really serious about West Ham. He was just being polite.

McClaren is a NO, come on where's the link to our club on such appointment?

Hughes and Moyes will stay at their clubs.

This leaves;

Deschamps = strong links with Duverne/Houllier and that he wants a Premiership club over Roma.

Ancelotti = Wants to stay in England although would prefer London..Im sure a top club in the mould of Villa could suit.

Benitez = The successor of Houllier at Liverpool, desprately wants a return to the Prem and will no doubt blag his way through any potential interview.

Deschamps. Has managed big clubs, enormously well connected and respected by footballers of a generation that knew how good he was as a player. Not to mention the number of young French players with talent that he could attract. We might need a 'no signing any players he played with type clause' to prevent a 'Pires' incident though....

Why haven't we appointed a manager yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid Villa always taking their **** time!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems bad news on Ancelotti

http://tinyurl.com/5wt7o6v

Ancelotti faces a year's gardening leave after Chelsea axe

Published 23:01 16/05/11 By Martin Lipton

Carlo Ancelotti is set for a year on the sidelines when he leaves Stamford Bridge - because of a clause in his contract.

Ancelotti is preparing himself for the Stamford Bridge axe, 12 months after becoming the first manager in the club’s history to win the league title and FA Cup Double.

While the Italian wants to stay in England and is set to turn down the chance to return to former club Roma, Ancelotti will not be able to go back into management in this country unless there is a change of heart by the Chelsea hierarchy.

It's understood that under the terms of the three-year deal Ancelotti signed when he joined Chelsea in 2009, he is not allowed to work for another Premier League club within 12 months of leaving Stamford Bridge.

That will force ­Ancelotti to either return to the continent or accept an enforced year of gardening leave.

Ancelotti is still awaiting confirmation of his fate from owner Roman Abramovich. No meeting with a board member is yet scheduled, but the Blues boss anticipates it will come early next week - following Sunday’s final game of the season at Everton.

“We have to wait to see what happens and what will be the decision of the club at the end of the season," said the £6million-a-year Italian.

“We have one more weekend and we just have to wait. I think it will happen after Everton.

“It’s not my decision and I don’t know when the club will take its decision.

"I would like to stay, but if that’s not possible I will find another solution.”

Just reading on Twitter that Pat Murphy (friend of MON!) THINKS that we SHOULD go for Steve McClaren...

Ancelloti is out of our finances he also said apparently.

Why would we not want Rafa?

People will quickly question whether a manager has won anything. In the same breath, people will quickly discount everything that Rafa has won: two league titles in Spain; a Champ League title; and a UEFA Cup. He had a dire final season in England, but that was on the heels of a second-place finish and in the midst of a crisis in ownership. Common knowledge says that he stinks in the transfer market, but the evidence says otherwise: he made some clever signings while at Liverpool and even turned a profit there in the transfer market.

He should be the man.