Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: Mark Hughes will quit Fulham this morning to take Villa job #ffc #avfc

MirrorFootball

Unless they have a leak from Fulham end, then I'd still trust Kendrick over the Mirror anyday... he's usually spot on.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with Hughes though as I've posted before he apparently was one of Lerner's top targets when MON left.

If he could get Warnock and Ireland playing the way they did when he was managing Blackburn and Man City, then that could only be good for the club.

Ancelotti or Moyes Id be chuffed about!

Ancelotti would enable us to bring in a better level of player on his name alone, something we have missed nationally since MON left and something we were starting to enjoy with GED outside of these shores.

Moyes would be the best option to offer a lot more long term solidity, as well as the ability to take us forward.

Hughes Id be comfortable with too.

Mark Hughes was this morning preparing to resign as Fulham boss in order to succeed Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa, according to sources.

The former Blackburn and Manchester City manager has emerged as Randy Lerner's No.1 target since the American decided to pay Houllier off over health fears.

Though Fulham were bullish about keeping Hughes yesterday, he is understood to be ready to step down in the next few hours.

Sparky, 47, has a clause in his Fulham deal, which he was able to activate from June 1, which allows him to walk away for a relatively small amount of compensation should a bigger club come calling.

He is thought to relish the idea of managing a club with bigger spending power than the Cottagers' modest resources.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Mark-Hughes-to-quit-Fulham-for-Aston-Villa-this-morning-article743740.html#ixzz1O6ktJXVB

Randy and the board need to look at this thread. ~Its quite clear that only a minority wants Hughes as manager.

Well I'd hope that they are picking the manager that they believe will do the best job at the club, who will work well within whatever restrictions on player wages and transfer are set and who plans on staying here for a few years rather than who the fans want.

Also 3rd in the pole hardly suggests that only a minority want him, just might mean that some would prefer Moyes or Ancelotti to him

I take it you voted for Hughes then

Sorry if this has been asked, but why are people so keen on Ancelotti?

Ive been asking the same question for the last week. Not got a clear answer yet though so i wont hold my breath

If Hughes is the best Lerner can come up with we can forget about ever challenging for a CL place. What a thoroughly uninspiring appointment.

I don't get this. I think Hughes is a well respected managers who IMO is as good as Villa can attract at this moment. Being realistic, we are not the most attractive prospect right now, especially if our two most influential playmakers are leaving and we don't have the financial backing of certain other clubs. Hughes could be a great fit here, he's a players manager and passionate. I'd rather have had Carlo but back in the real world Hughes is as good a man as we could have hoped for.

If he comes that is. If it turns out to be McClaren, then I'll agree with you!

It's gonna be Hughes isn't it. He'll get players back on side and playing to the best of their ability, the tactics will fit the squad and there will be no revolution to continental football.

See I don't get this! Hughes will shape the side to where it was but his sides do actually play football and do not get this revlolution continental football which only seems to be attached to foreign managers.

Birmingham Mail Exclusive: Carlo Ancelotti is a leading contender for Aston Villa job

EXCLUSIVE By Mat Kendrick OUR MAN AT VILLA

Aston Villa are going to launch a bold swoop for Carlo Ancelotti, with the sacked Chelsea boss well ahead of bookies’ favourite Mark Hughes and fans’ choice David Moyes in Randy Lerner’s thinking.

The American billionaire has yet to decide on a definitive shortlist of contenders for the Villa Park hotseat after finally agreeing the terms of Gerard Houllier’s departure on health grounds.

The official statement confirming the Frenchman’s exit, revealed exclusively in Tuesday’s Birmingham Mail, was issued last night and now Lerner is ready to step up the search for his successor.

Ancelotti’s sizable wage demands would not deter Villa from an audacious move for the Italian even though the sacked Chelsea boss earned £5 million in his last year at Stamford Bridge. Villa are believed to prefer Ancelotti’s European credentials to those of Moyes and Hughes and are obviously wowed by his double-winning introduction to English football just a year ago.

However, the claret and blues know Ancelotti would have to be sold on the club’s ambitions to seriously challenge for Champions League football during the course of his contract. Having sanctioned the record breaking signing of Darren Bent in January, Lerner has the financial clout to afford Ancelotti even though the playing wage bill must be managed closely.

But Villa also have their eyes on alternative candidates, including Wigan’s Roberto Martinez and out-of-work duo Steve McClaren and Martin Jol.

As reported in yesterday’s Birmingham Mail, Moyes would take some persuading to swap Goodison Park for Villa Park and is believed to be content to bide his time at Everton and wait for an even bigger job.

Hughes is the evens favourite among many bookies to replace Houllier but there is doubt over whether he will activate a timely get-out in his Fulham contract or use it to negotiate a better deal at Craven Cottage.

Both Hughes and Moyes, who topped our exclusive online poll of who Villa fans want to see as the next boss, will be given consideration by Villa.

But Ancelotti, a double Champions League winner as AC Milan manager, is seen as a stand-out candidate with the experience, contacts and personality to reignite Villa’s top four challenge.

Ancelotti, 51, who also won two European Cups as a player with Milan, would have to be prepared to drop his wage demands from the salary he commanded during his two year stint at Stamford Bridge.

However, Lerner is prepared to spend big to attract the right candidate and the timing of Ancelotti’s dismissal following his trophy-less season at Chelsea could be too convenient an opportunity for Villa to pass up.

He has been linked with QPR if the newly promoted club dispense with title-winning manager Neil Warnock, while Tottenham has also been suggested as a potential destination if Harry Redknapp replaces him at Chelsea.

But it is believed Ancelotti could be persuaded to leave London for another Premier League challenge outside of the capital.

Villa plan to make an appointment before the end of June to give the new manager plenty of time to assess the squad and set in motion necessary transfers in and out of the club in time for pre-season in early July.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/06/02/birmingham-mail-exclusive-carlo-ancelotti-is-the-man-aston-villa-want-to-replace-gerard-houllier-97319-28807143/2/#ixzz1O6mHetJV

BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: Mark Hughes will quit Fulham this morning to take Villa job #ffc #avfc

MirrorFootball

Unless they have a leak from Fulham end, then I'd still trust Kendrick over the Mirror anyday... he's usually spot on.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with Hughes though as I've posted before he apparently was one of Lerner's top targets when MON left.

If he could get Warnock and Ireland playing the way they did when he was managing Blackburn and Man City, then that could only be good for the club.

Although I understand your point about Kendrick and his sources, it's worth pointing out that the Mail is owned by Trinity Mirror :winkold:

It's gonna be Hughes isn't it. He'll get players back on side and playing to the best of their ability, the tactics will fit the squad and there will be no revolution to continental football.

This,

Appointing Hughes will be the second biggest disappointment I've suffered as a villa fan , Signing Heskey being the first

Ancelotti's odds are falling reasonably fast. That would be a massive coup if we can bring in a manager like that.

Presumably because people have read Kendrick's article and have started backing Ancelotti.

Hughes will just do another MON..

All his signings at City came in on high wages and some high trans fees.. He hasnt got the skills to find better and cheaper options.

He will sign the obvious..

We wont go forward under him.