dudevillaisnice

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

Partly because the punishment is because of the same year of overspend.

Extreme example:

If you make zero loss in year 1 and 2 and £130m loss in year 3, then the 3-year rolling figure for FFP is a £130m loss. This is over the £105m allowed, so a 10 point penalty.

Then Y4 you make zero loss again. The 3 year rolling period Y2-4 shows a £130m loss again, so again a 10 point penalty.  

So whilst that should technically apply, they are being penalised twice for the same bit of overspend.

Then when you look at Y3-5, same issue again! Which would then be a 30 point deduction for breaking the rules once in one year.

4 hours ago, Adman said:

I'm ok with them being hit 3 times.  Otherwise a team could overspend £300 mill in one season, but a new team, win the league then get the equivalent of 3.3 points per season knocked off them (10 point deduction) as a penalty.  The rules are there, if they didn't understand them that's their problem.

I'm also fine with them being hit twice. They had the opportunity to fix their overspend from the last calculation period, with the latest year's income and failed to do so.

The issue is that they changed the deadlines, so they're being punished twice in the same season, when historically the new punishment would have landed next season under the old deadlines. 

It's a bit of an exceptional year as the deadline change will apply going forwards,  but they just happened to fail two lots of 3 year assessment periods in the one year when both those periods were assessed in the same season.

Edited by MrBlack

51 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

They had the opportunity to fix their overspend from the last calculation period, with the latest year's income and failed to do so.

Actually i'm not sure they did have an opportunity to fix it.  They were charged for 21/22 after May 2023 and before this they assumed everything was fine. 

But by that time, they couldn't improve 22/23 because that accounting period had already closed. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Actually i'm not sure they did have an opportunity to fix it.  They were charged for 21/22 after May 2023 and before this they assumed everything was fine. 

But by that time, they couldn't improve 22/23 because that accounting period had already closed. 

They knew at the start of the 21/22 season that they needed to sell to meet future ffp. They would have been ok if they pocketed the Richarlison money but decided to spend big on Onana, Maupay and McNeil plus the Tarkowski, Alli and Coady wages.

Is part of Everton's problem the removal of the 'sponsorship' income that their Russian owner had planned to put into the club before Putin invaded Ukraine and Russian owners became an impossibility?

I seem to remember him having set up a self-sponsorship arrangement for their training ground that was worth a inordinate amount and then didn't happen.

If there's a need for extra vigilance in football finance, perhaps teams with incredibly dodgy sponsorship deals might be a starting point? 

• Like 3

On 17/01/2024 at 10:40, OutByEaster? said:

Is part of Everton's problem the removal of the 'sponsorship' income that their Russian owner had planned to put into the club before Putin invaded Ukraine and Russian owners became an impossibility?

I seem to remember him having set up a self-sponsorship arrangement for their training ground that was worth a inordinate amount and then didn't happen.

If there's a need for extra vigilance in football finance, perhaps teams with incredibly dodgy sponsorship deals might be a starting point? 

Yes, that was definitely mentioned on the program I was listening to the other day. 

• Like 1

Bit of misleading headline that electricians are walking out of site, but really all they're saying is that they're not doing overtime and clocking off after doing 8 hours work.

Electricians working on the Bramley Moore Dock stadium walked off site yesterday due to "issues over pay and working overtime".Several electricians working on the new Everton FC stadium claim around 150 members of staff had walked off the site yesterday, Wednesday, January 24, at 3.30pm.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2024-01-25/electricians-working-on-new-everton-stadium-walk-out-over-pay

Still, with the financial woes at the club, and the cost of the new ground, relegation for Everton this season or next would be ruinous. Pay disputes with the people building their new stadium will not be helping. The results of the appeal for the first points deduction, and the results of the second charge are going to be crucial for them.

On 18/01/2024 at 08:42, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, that was definitely mentioned on the program I was listening to the other day. 

Sounds like they were relying on that income to keep afloat/function. Once the accounts were frozen and that sponsorship was a no go, they don't appear to have a plan B.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Was harsh, I await the explanation for the reduction from the Premier League.

They are scousers, they deserve everything they get 🤣

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

6 points is nothing.

Lets sign Mbappe and Osimhen in the summer and take the points hit on the chin.

To be fair they were only £20m over and that was apparently due to interest payments on the new ground, not gaining massive advantages because of it either. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, villa89 said:

no surprise its been reduced. Should be enough to keep them up.

It’s only been reduced to 6, because them and Forest are awaiting punishment for their breach of FFP (Everton’s second). They will be given another 6, so in total they’ll be deducted 12.

• Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

6 points is nothing.

Lets sign Mbappe and Osimhen in the summer and take the points hit on the chin.

Wouldn't be allowed to play in Europe thou. You need Man C owners leverage and influence to get that pass.

• Like 1

They really need to set some proper rules for how many points you will be deducted because they just seem to make it up as they go along right now.

Maybe something like 1 point per million over FFP?

Edited by villan95
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

6 is too little that's literally two wins. 

What a joke. 

20m breach being 6 points seems OK.  For 20m, you aren't signing a player that guarantees you two wins.

As long as they're proposing a sliding scale that ramps up quickly and significantly then it should be OK. 

• Like 1

Â