James Collins

AngelGabriel

Is it sad that I'm as excited, if not more, about who we're getting rid of this summer than who we're bringing in?
I think it is, woody. I don't get the recent posts about Collins from a lot of people. He's not Paul McGrath, but for me he gave his best in the shirt. It always seems a shame when players are metaphorically shoved out the door by fans with a boot up their backside, on the way. He played for Aston Villa, which is a) an honour and B) something that unless the player concerned behaved appallingly kind of gives them a bit of kudos and respect in my book.

Some leave having never been remotely good enough, some having been excellent and most, somewhere between those two extremes.

Personally I wish him well.

Pretty much where I am at.

Can't fault the effort he put in and I wish him well.

Id prefer dunne out over Collins purely because of there respective ages and cus dunne is consistently average whereas as Collins is average with the occasional blinding performance.

All the best JC. Only 2 players remain of mons legacy now.

Is it sad that I'm as excited, if not more, about who we're getting rid of this summer than who we're bringing in?
I think it is, woody. I don't get the recent posts about Collins from a lot of people. He's not Paul McGrath, but for me he gave his best in the shirt. It always seems a shame when players are metaphorically shoved out the door by fans with a boot up their backside, on the way. He played for Aston Villa, which is a) an honour and B) something that unless the player concerned behaved appallingly kind of gives them a bit of kudos and respect in my book.

Some leave having never been remotely good enough, some having been excellent and most, somewhere between those two extremes.

I wish him well as well, I think despite most being happy he is moving on would do the same.

The problem is that Collins while not having behaved appallingly hasn't really behaved all that great in the last 2 seasons, there have been at least 3 drink related issues/stories. This coupled with his and the rest of the defences poor form leaves people thinking there has been an element of a lack of professionalism.

This combined with the whispers of bad influences in the dressing room has on top of his average form pretty much done for Collins in most fans eyes.

Combine that with the fact we seemingly need to sell him to sign a new defender that people presume/hope is better and it is I think easy to see why people are eager to see him depart.

Personally I would sooner see Dunne depart than Collins but I'm pleased to see Collins depart because it signals the end and start of something or at least I hope it does. It signals the end of one of what for 2 years has been just about the worse defence I've ever seen in our colours.

I wish Collins no ill, I hope he does okay in the remainder of his career but I can't pretend I'm not happy at his pending departure.

That's a vary fair comment. My gripe, such as it is, is that a number of comments have seemed to me to be rather more based around the bad and completely overlooked the less good/bad parts. He's a decent, but no better, defender. He was the peacemaker in one of the drink related incidents, where another more lauded player let themselves down (as we all do from time to time).

Yes his reported attitude to Sid, a genuine legend and a gentleman, was out of order and for that he deserves a deal of the stick he's had.

He's not been well managed in the past couple of seasons, but then none of the first team players seem to have been. He was fine under MO'N. Maybe that's a reflection on the last 2 managers as well as on the players.

I think we're all happy that the squad is getting rebuilt by a manager who looks like he's on a mission and knows what he's doing.

I think he can pass a ball well, and in his first season he did so. I think it was more the manager's style of football that led to the hoofing last season.

I suspect Dunne's staying because he's more of a leader and is older and a better player. My hope is Ciaran Clark comes on a bundle more, same for Nathan Baker, and that Vlaar and Dunne are there to tide them through/find a partnership that works. Collins and Dunne never sustained any good form between them.

I wish him well as well, I think despite most being happy he is moving on would do the same.

The problem is that Collins while not having behaved appallingly hasn't really behaved all that great in the last 2 seasons, there have been at least 3 drink related issues/stories. This coupled with his and the rest of the defences poor form leaves people thinking there has been an element of a lack of professionalism.

This combined with the whispers of bad influences in the dressing room has on top of his average form pretty much done for Collins in most fans eyes.

Combine that with the fact we seemingly need to sell him to sign a new defender that people presume/hope is better and it is I think easy to see why people are eager to see him depart.

Personally I would sooner see Dunne depart than Collins but I'm pleased to see Collins depart because it signals the end and start of something or at least I hope it does. It signals the end of one of what for 2 years has been just about the worse defence I've ever seen in our colours.

I wish Collins no ill, I hope he does okay in the remainder of his career but I can't pretend I'm not happy at his pending departure.

I think that's my view too Trent. I think he always gave his (limited) all on the pitch for which he deserves credit but I cannot forget the sight of him outside Gatecrasher when he was clearly completely pissed. He should have been calming down Herd not standing by looking like he might fall over any minute. I suspect he was one of the bad influences in the dressing room.

My gripe, such as it is, is that a number of comments have seemed to me to be rather more based around the bad and completely overlooked the less good/bad parts.

That is also fair comment. I will refer back to an old footie coach of mine who had a theory which basically consisted of the following. Have a great first half and a poor second half and people will think you had a poor game, have a bad first half and you can still turn it around and people will think you played well.

I think this is the problem for Collins or rather peoples views on Collins. For the 1st year he was pretty good, for the last two he has been pretty bad and that is how he will be remembered, rightly or wrongly.

He's a decent, but no better, defender. He was the peacemaker in one of the drink related incidents, where another more lauded player let themselves down (as we all do from time to time).

Agreed on all points. He was though yet again one of the ones in there in the mix, most went home after the end of season do but not him. Considering he had previously got into trouble for boozing it isn't exactly the smartest move or one that conveys an image of a professional and dedicated player.

Yes his reported attitude to Sid, a genuine legend and a gentleman, was out of order and for that he deserves a deal of the stick he's had.

To be honest you could make a case for saying for that reason alone he doesn't deserve much respect ahead of his departure.

He's not been well managed in the past couple of seasons, but then none of the first team players seem to have been. He was fine under MO'N. Maybe that's a reflection on the last 2 managers as well as on the players.

Granted he has been poorly managed for 2 seasons but that in my book doesn't excuse his conduct as a senior pro so for me at least that doesn't really come into it.

For me it says more about the players than the managers and it wouldn't surprise me if had O'Neill stayed we would still have had the same issues.

I think he can pass a ball well, and in his first season he did so. I think it was more the manager's style of football that led to the hoofing last season.

I think we will have to disagree on that one although I'll accept that the managers haven't helped.

I suspect Dunne's staying because he's more of a leader and is older and a better player.

I think he is staying because nobody would take him and his wages off our hands at his age and he will be off to the US this time next year.

My hope is Ciaran Clark comes on a bundle more, same for Nathan Baker, and that Vlaar and Dunne are there to tide them through/find a partnership that works. Collins and Dunne never sustained any good form between them.

Agreed on all points.

As I've said before. Collins is not at the top of my list of defenders that should be traded. I know I'm a minority, but I would prefer to keep him. IMO he's not the slow, clumsy, panicky, hoofer some pretend he is.

All those who think Collins is so bad should, IMO, question why we received an offer for him, but not for hutton, warnock, or dunne.

I watched live in Chicago and I thought Collins was the best center back we had. Apparenly at least some of our opposition feel he is good enough to make an offer while we apparently have no offer for Dunne, Warnock, or Hutton.

But that said, I understand the need to sell and the wires don't appear to be burning with strong offers for others. So I see why the club would want to accept this deal.

I do genuinely think Collins' positioning is extremely poor, as is Dunne's (less so). When defenders are constantly making last ditch tackles and throwing their bodies in the way of the ball that's mainly due to them not being where they should be in the first place. I know football isn't as black and white as that but you rarely see quality defenders throwing their bodies at the ball as much as Dunne and Collins.

Always seemed brave and 100 % committed, so I wish him well, and am sure he will do well.

Think he was a pretty good defender, but nice to think we are moving in a slightly different direction now.

I wonder if in fact the whole of last seasons' back four will go. Dunne, Warnock and Hutton will follow, it's just happened Collins was the first to go?

That it's not a decision on quality or being wanted by other clubs, just coincidental order, the first deal to get done.

I wouldnt say he is a very very good centre half. He is a good centre half. His day is usually when he is facing a big burly striker with no pace. Or when we are on the back foot and he is flinging his body everywhere. I don't think he is terrible, I just think he is not what we need under the new PL era. Obviously he seems a bit of a dick too.

Agreed with this totally.

Collins is fine against the long ball teams like Stoke, Blackburn and Sunderland when it's just heading away throw ins all game but he can't read the game at all.

One of the most bizarre things imo over the last 3 season and one I still can't work out is why 3 managers have preferred Collins at centre half and moved Carlos to CB or left on the bench. Really can't work it out at all.

Collins and Dunne are just too similar for me. it seemed to work first season, but faded after that. I think either would look a much better player with a different style defender alongside them.

I have to say that I felt Collins was our best defender last season (i know that's not saying much!!!!!) I'd have been happier keeping him and being rid of Hutton, Warnock and Dunne. Although I feel Dunne may yet have a good season left in him.

Collins will go to west ham and they'll think he's great. All action, throwing his body in. good luck to him. I honestly think if he hadn't been a bit of a prick off the pitch, we'd all be sorry to see him go. That said, he's probably on stupid "MONey" (see what I did there?)

West Ham wants to pay 2.5 mill, but we are looking to get more, according to Daily Fail.

Link

Lambert was less than keen to take a financial hit on James Collins. Villa were trying to negotiate more than the £2.5m West Ham wanted to pay for the Wales international. However, Collins was due to have a medical ahead of finalising talks.

It doesn't surprise me at all that he's the first (or only one) to go. James was the best of our regular back four last year. If we ranked him, Dunne, Warnock, and Hutton, I would guess that most would put him first and the rest would have him second. (although any comparison with Hutton and Warnock is a bit skewed to be honest). He's prone to the hoofball, but with the midfield and management we had last year, I can't say that I blame him. Best wishes to him at Wet Spam.

Dunne will be harder to shift due to his age and probably higher wages.

I'd just keep him for this last season and let him go on a free as at his best he can give better performances than Collins.

It's vital we retain a centre half who's decent in the air and knows the league while Vlaar settles in. Remember Bolton at home last season. 1-0 up and Kevin Davies comes on and bullies our central defence, think it was Carlos and Baker that night.

We'll be playing those shite but physical strikers like Jason Roberts and Carlton Cole so would rather have Dunne still there while Vlaar gets used to it all.

I wonder if in fact the whole of last seasons' back four will go. Dunne, Warnock and Hutton will follow, it's just happened Collins was the first to go?

That it's not a decision on quality or being wanted by other clubs, just coincidental order, the first deal to get done.

Cuellar was first to go....and I thought he was shocking too! Seemed a really nice decent bloke, but never even looked like a footballer to me

West Ham wants to pay 2.5 mill, but we are looking to get more, according to Daily Fail.

Link

Lambert was less than keen to take a financial hit on James Collins. Villa were trying to negotiate more than the £2.5m West Ham wanted to pay for the Wales international. However, Collins was due to have a medical ahead of finalising talks.

Hmm hope that isn't true. There is trying to get money back and then there is pushing your luck. Lambert needs to consider the possibility of West Ham pulling out and possibly jeopardising the Vlaar deal. If we are trying to offload dead wood before bringing in Vlaar then we need Collins gone no matter the cost.

For me it's quite simple, all the politics aside: he's just a rubbish footballer and how someone of his unbelievably limited ability got to a level this high is absolutely baffling.

Â