James Collins

AngelGabriel

The frustrating part with Collins, is that on his day he is a very very good centre half.

Its just his last "day" was in January 2010!!

I also find it interesting that he cannot get in the Wales team at the minute.

this to me is quite damning that he cant get into the Wales team

I wouldnt say he is a very very good centre half. He is a good centre half. His day is usually when he is facing a big burly striker with no pace. Or when we are on the back foot and he is flinging his body everywhere. I don't think he is terrible, I just think he is not what we need under the new PL era. Obviously he seems a bit of a dick too.

He suits MON's style. And I don't mean that as a back-handed compliment. Collins is good at certain things and bad at others. He doesn't suit a side who now plan on passing it out from the back. He does suit a fast counter-attacking side who are not in the least bothered by possession stats and who have to do more than their fair share of desperation-defending. He is blood and guts. He is all heart and you know what you get. They're buying all of that. Whereas we're selling a hoofer who has a tendency to over-commit and who has the touch of a struggle-snuggler.

I don't think James Collins is the bad ass that people are making him out to be....

he was trying to calm down the incident at the night club for a start....

after the first year of playing for us he was freakin awesome and the fee we got him for seemed an absolute bargain...not to mention he busted his bollocks every single game and i think he did that right to the end...

nobody expected much and MON got truly the best out of a limited defender...

since then hes got steadily worse and now is definitely the time for him to move on....

thanks for the first year James.....

and for the inevitable own goal on the opening day of the season :)

The frustrating part with Collins, is that on his day he is a very very good centre half.

Agreed, which is why someone would want him.

Also agree. Collins has his strengths which is certainly his aerial ability, but against small, quick strikers he can get pulled all over the place and obviously isn't the quickest.

He really isn't, not even close but some games and some opposition are well matched to his strengths.

You can't though have the deficiencies in your game that he has and ever be labelled a very good centre half.

BOF

He suits MON's style. And I don't mean that as a back-handed compliment. Collins is good at certain things and bad at others. He doesn't suit a side who now plan on passing it out from the back. He does suit a fast counter-attacking side who are not in the least bothered by possession stats and who have to do more than their fair share of desperation-defending. He is blood and guts. He is all heart and you know what you get. They're buying all of that. Whereas we're selling a hoofer who has a tendency to over-commit and who has the touch of a struggle-snuggler.

A fantastic way to look at it and I think it's bang on.

Colin's biggest weakness for me is diving in. He's always trying to reach a ball that he has no chance of eating, instead of just standing his ground and not allowing the forward to turn, he'll dive in a try and nick it and the forward is in on goal. I lost count the number of needless fouls he gave away by doing this as well.

Â