James Collins

AngelGabriel

As a footballer I've seen far worse play for Villa.

The man is a decent enough stopped and in games against equally limited attacks then he does a fine job.

He really is crap on the ball though and with Lambert looking to play more of a passing game he really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Against attackers with a little guile or pace he is also shown up to be the big lump he is.

Added to the fact that he sounds like a poor dressing room influence and crap professional by all accounts we are doing well to get rid.

ps I am sure Vlaar will be on lower wages - so all good in my opinion. Just need someone to buy Hutton and Warnock!

Someone was telly me the other day of a time when our back four was

Wright

Aitken

Arsey

Hole

I think Mike Mooney can confirm that

I can confirm that it's a myth.

As Pilchard said, the only feasible trio was Brown, Arce, Hole, but I'm pretty sure they never actually lined up together. Shame, really.

Wouldn't it have been Mick Wright, Oscar Arce and Barrie Hole who were in the squad in 1968/9? Jimmy Brown didn't play in the first team until 1970 IIRC. Mick Wright and Barrie Hole were straightforward football pros. This it the story about Oscar Arce that I remember: He was - according to himself - an Argentinian under 23 international who had travelled to Glasgow to be with his Scottish girlfriend. He was running an antiques shop in Glasgow but fancied getting back into football and wrote to Villa asking if he and his bro, Hector, could have a trial. They were put on the books and proved to be hopelessly out of their depth (although Hector was a bit better than Oscar as I recall) and never got anywhere near the first team.

Oscar became a Salifou type figure - worshipped by the fans for being an exotic character but a footballing no-hoper. Both brothers were dispatched by Tommy Docherty when he took over from Tommy Cummings in 1969. Around that time Villa were desperately bad and were on the slide that ended in Division 3. The joke was invented that, if either Oscar or Hector had made it into the first team, we would have had the trio of Wright, Arce, Hole on the team sheet.

Someone was telly me the other day of a time when our back four was

Wright

Aitken

Arsey

Hole

I think Mike Mooney can confirm that

I can confirm that it's a myth.

As Pilchard said, the only feasible trio was Brown, Arce, Hole, but I'm pretty sure they never actually lined up together. Shame, really.

Wouldn't it have been Mick Wright, Oscar Arce and Barrie Hole who were in the squad in 1968/9? Jimmy Brown didn't play in the first team until 1970 IIRC. Mick Wright and Barrie Hole were straightforward football pros. This it the story about Oscar Arce that I remember: He was - according to himself - an Argentinian under 23 international who had travelled to Glasgow to be with his Scottish girlfriend. He was running an antiques shop in Glasgow but fancied getting back into football and wrote to Villa asking if he and his bro, Hector, could have a trial. They were put on the books and proved to be hopelessly out of their depth (although Hector was a bit better than Oscar as I recall) and never got anywhere near the first team.

Oscar became a Salifou type figure - worshipped by the fans for being an exotic character but a footballing no-hoper. Both brothers were dispatched by Tommy Docherty when he took over from Tommy Cummings in 1969. Around that time Villa were desperately bad and were on the slide that ended in Division 3. The joke was invented that, if either Oscar or Hector had made it into the first team, we would have had the trio of Wright, Arce, Hole on the team sheet.

Reminds me of the other one not so long ago, was it....

Given

Herd Collins Dunne Warnock

??

The frustrating part with Collins, is that on his day he is a very very good centre half.

Agreed, which is why someone would want him.

Â