Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Hutton for me has more idea how to sync with the central defenders....he has the height and presence too to defend the far post when play is on the other flank.

However Bacuna is much better at adding offensive presence.

Tough call, just glad I'm not a Football manager.

• Like 1

Hutton for me has more idea how to sync with the central defenders....he has the height and presence too to defend the far post when play is on the other flank.

However Bacuna is much better at adding offensive presence.

Tough call, just glad I'm not a Football manager.

Different options for different opposition really

Hutton always built his reputation at Rangers, Scotland and Spurs as being excellent going forward, nothing he did as a one-on-one defender or anything defensively at all.

From what I've seen Hutton has had a good season but Bacuna is much better going forward so I think bar any disastrous games between now and the end Leo will start the cup final.

Now who starts at left back, I think that's a far more interesting question. 

Edited by VillaChris

Bacuna is at his most dangerous when he plays right back.

It's really a difficult situation at RB. Hutton was very good under Lambert, but now Bacuna is important going forward. At the same time we're weak at left back. Not easy choices for Tim.

Edited by AVTuco

Best case scenario for me is drop nzogbia, Hutton in at right back and bacuna pushes further up. Far more consistency on the right side from that I think.

I don't know what more people want from Zog. Did you see the way he created the space for Cleverley's goal? He's an integral part or our attack. No way could Bacuna do what he does. Bacuna is an attacking wing back with a lot to learn. Madness to move Bacuna out of the position he's been growing into and drop N'Zogbia for no good reason.

• 1 month later...

What exactly has Hutton done wrong to see his stock fall so greatly over the last couple of months??? Seems a great need for a new right back if media reports are correct and also seen bits of negativity on here about him. Really don't get it???

Up into Christmas he was tremendous. Really bloody brilliant. Easily our best player along with Clark and arguably one of the most in form right backs in the premiership at that time. Injury and suspension later he struggled to get back in the team with Bacuna's good form. Fair enough. He didnt look as good the second half of the season but still pretty decent. Why has opinion changed so much???

I'd be happy going into next season with Hutton and Bacuna. I think the latter could be a good long term option there. 

I'm not saying it's impossible to improve on them but we have much more problematic areas of the squad to be sorting out. 

• Like 3

bacuna prefers central midfield though doesnt he? not sure he would be happy being the main right back

He's not good enough to be a regular for us in that position and never will be. He could make an excellent full back with the right coaching though, I really do believe that. 

• Like 1

Love Hutton...for villa and Scotland. He's excellent going forward, perhaps even more so than Bacuna. Difference is Bacuna has a much better final ball. I'd like Bacuna further forwar but I like both of them in the team

What exactly has Hutton done wrong to see his stock fall so greatly over the last couple of months??? Seems a great need for a new right back if media reports are correct and also seen bits of negativity on here about him. Really don't get it???

Up into Christmas he was tremendous. Really bloody brilliant. Easily our best player along with Clark and arguably one of the most in form right backs in the premiership at that time. Injury and suspension later he struggled to get back in the team with Bacuna's good form. Fair enough. He didnt look as good the second half of the season but still pretty decent. Why has opinion changed so much???

My take is that he didn't come back from injury as strong and as motivated as he went off. He seemed to be lazy sometimes, and being played on the left side didn't help at all. During the fall he was able to get forward quite a bit, and made those crazy runs up front, none of that was seen in the spring.

Anyway, I think he's good enough for us, but I'm not sure if he fits Sherwood's system so well.

Â