Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Should play left back.

Was it United he played left? I thought he was having a decent game until he came off. This is an option, but I would imagine Saturday is too soon for him?

Swansea Hutton played left back.

I'd consider it. Richardson to me is a liability against pace and Lennon will be running at him this weekend which concerns me.

I think as long as he gets minutes in the next few weeks he'll start the cup final as I think the Sherwood plan will include conservative full backs otherwise Arsenal will rip us apart with the space we'll leave behind as we saw at the Emirates.

Hutton back in unbalances Sherwood's current approach I think. I'd stick with Bacuna.

I think Hutton is pretty decent getting forward.

He really isn't though is he. Does he even have an assist this season? 

Compare that to Bacuna who has played far less games....

Edited by sexbelowsound

Hutton back in unbalances Sherwood's current approach I think. I'd stick with Bacuna.

Same amount of goals though..... ;-p

Technically Hutton has more, Bacuna's was in the cup.....  ;)

• Like 1

Technically Hutton has more, Bacuna's was in the cup.....  ;)

We'll I didn't like to say! For what it's worth I think Bacuna is well worthy of keeping his place.

I wouldn't have Hutton at lb, I hate having right footed players at left back, having to cut back on their right foot all the time. We didn't concede as many goals when Hutton played under Lambert because we were so negative. If he played now he wouldn't be any better than Bacuna defensively. Bacuna is improving all the time as a right back. He has pace to burn, is a far better crosser of the ball than Hutton.

Hutton is good at literally going forward.

But he lacks a final ball when he gets there, imo.

• Like 2

Exactly my point. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Hutton a lot as a defensive player but he offers very little in attack.

Plus Bacuna and Benteke seem to have connection, would be madness to take that away at this stage of the season.

He's probably not as good as bacuna but he's still decent going forward.

He's also much less likely to cost us a goal.

Exactly my point. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Hutton a lot as a defensive player but he offers very little in attack.

Plus Bacuna and Benteke seem to have connection, would be madness to take that away at this stage of the season.

Was the problem before not that he had no runners from midfield supporting him? Nor, in fact, bodies in the box to aim at. So his surging runs were ultimately aimless.

His final ball is not the best granted, but given the situation and the way we now attack dynamically I think he deserves a bit of a fair shot to show if he can adapt to this. 

So would you say they are pretty much equal then?

Bacuna better going forward, Hutton better defensively?

Yeah in that sense they probably are.

I guess for me I'm confident we will score even without bacuna, whereas I'm not confident we will be solid at the back with him.

For a massive game like Saturday I'd feel more comfortable with the solid defender playing

• Like 1

I guess for me I'm confident we will score even without bacuna, whereas I'm not confident we will be solid at the back with him.

For a massive game like Saturday I'd feel more comfortable with the solid defender playing

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I actually think Hutton's driving runs will be much more of benefit under this current system than they were under the drab shite the previous management served up and as much as I like Bacuna, I have been disappointed with him defensively these past few weeks. 

I agree, Hutton definitely makes me feel more confident in us keeping teams out.

Either way its a plus point for us. Hopefully they can both be used effectively when needed.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Big Hutton fan, considering our situation he needs to be in. Without Ciaran he gives us that big crunching tackle defensive steel that can make opponents double think.

Think Bacuna has done a good job, but Sherwood has even said that he doesn't think of him as a right back. Maybe push him up a bit and make room for both?

Â