Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Warnock and Hutton had chances in the pre season to impress, neither did.

Not really sure what that means, when we have just had a statement from the manager saying the reason he isn't playing Hutton is that he is paid too much. Seems the only way he would have "impressed" Lambert would be to offer a pay cut.

Hutton is incredibly shit.

That's why he isn't being played.

No it isn't.  He was bombed out before he'd even played a game.  And if we didn't play all of the players who were incredibly shit, we'd have to play five-a-side.

Apart from the previous season where he spent a lot of time giving away goals, fouls, free kicks. Not one game played.

A ridiculous set of circumstances - whilst hardly setting the world on fire, Hutton certainly isn't the worst right back I've seen at VP in over 40 years of watching them. He seems to have decent games whenever I see him in a Scotland shirt and to my knowledge, has never moaned to the press about his predicament other than the usual agent-led article to remind people he's still alive. He wouldn't be my first choice, but with Lowtons demise this season and the Bacuna experiment at right back being a spectacular failure, I'm not sure why he hasn't at least had a look-in in Cup games to get him in the shop window ? To now hear that because he's on £40k a week means he won't get games is frankly laughable.....we've been paying Gabby more than this for best part of a decade for his 15 game seasons without a second thought.....and for some of the clowns on here to say that he should just leave to make it easy for us, is equally laughable. In most other walks of life, the seeds of a constructive dismissal claim would have been well sown by now - I'm sure Hutton would go almost anywhere to be part of a first team squad by now, but why should he piss money down the drain to help a toy town outfit balance the books, considering the way he's been treated?

What?

Which part of that didn't you understand ?

Hutton played under lambert in pre-season.

ONE game.  One pre-season game.  Are you suggesting that's enough to make a sensible decision about a player's ability?

To be fair - I was there and Hutton was dreadful. Three times he was given a simple pass and unable to trap it he let the ball roll over his foot for a throw.

Back up a bit here to the time Lambert took over, the 3 players almost everyone wanted gone on here were Collins, Warnock & Hutton because they were all not just shit, but clearly none of them had any interest in playing for Aston Villa. It was painful watching that back four of hutton dunne Collins Warnock, all 4 of them looked like they wanted to be anywhere but here.

What's happened with Hutton, the day we signed him Fulham tried to hijack the deal, we offered a lot more cash than they did so he come here, and has admitted since that he didn't want to come here (in the Birmingham mail he described the move as a mistake and he should have thought about it).

The people who sanctioned this deal, from the manager to the chairman need to take the blame here, bit if hutton really wants to play, cancel your contract.

God mcleish is awful. But the given contract. It's unfathomable. 5 years. Why. Would. That. Be. Offered.

My take on the Given contract goes like this:

We had a very reliable keeper in Brad Fredel who was great for us up until he was 40 years old. McCleish came in and needed a new keeper to replace Fredel who had signed for Spurs. 

Given was high profile but was on massive wages as Hart's backup at City, in order to temp Given off his big City contract we needed to offer him a long deal so he didn't lose money in signing for us. 

The club probably thought they had solved our keeper position for 5 years because our last keeper had performed up until he was 40 so Given could also do the same.

As it turned out we got a new manager who promoted Guzan instead and we are stuck with Given warming the bench on big wages until 2016.  

Back up a bit here to the time Lambert took over, the 3 players almost everyone wanted gone on here were Collins, Warnock & Hutton because they were all not just shit, but clearly none of them had any interest in playing for Aston Villa. It was painful watching that back four of hutton dunne Collins Warnock, all 4 of them looked like they wanted to be anywhere but here.

What's happened with Hutton, the day we signed him Fulham tried to hijack the deal, we offered a lot more cash than they did so he come here, and has admitted since that he didn't want to come here (in the Birmingham mail he described the move as a mistake and he should have thought about it).

The people who sanctioned this deal, from the manager to the chairman need to take the blame here, bit if hutton really wants to play, cancel your contract.

You'd have to be a pretty big moron to cancel a £40k per week contract just to play a few footy matches of a weekend :P

ONE game.  One pre-season game.  Are you suggesting that's enough to make a sensible decision about a player's ability?

To be fair - I was there and Hutton was dreadful. Three times he was given a simple pass and unable to trap it he let the ball roll over his foot for a throw.

That's fair enough, and I'm in no way saying that Hutton is great right back at all.  But I've seen Lowton and Bacuna at right back this season, and both have been utterly hopeless.

Don't get me wrong, Hutton is a poor defender, but so is Joe Bennett. The difference would be that Bennett makes more mistakes due to inexperience. (I know they aren't like for like replacements)

I'm not saying Hutton should play. I just cannot agree that his is any worse than what we are currently stuck with.

Plus, as a few of us have said, I think the way we have treated him makes us look like a bunch of rocket polishers.

Edited by AVFCAM

God mcleish is awful. But the given contract. It's unfathomable. 5 years. Why. Would. That. Be. Offered.

We had a very reliable keeper in Brad Fredel who was great for us up until he was 40 years old. McCleish came in and needed a new keeper to replace Fredel who had signed for Spurs.

Given was high profile but was on massive wages as Hart's backup at City, in order to temp Given off his big City contract we needed to offer him a long deal so he didn't lose money in signing for us.

The club probably thought they had solved our keeper position for 5 years because our last keeper had performed up until he was 40 so Given could also do the same.

As it turned out we got a new manager who promoted Guzan instead and we are stuck with Given warming the bench on big wages until 2016.

That's probably what happened, it's just horrible logic.

That's fair enough, and I'm in no way saying that Hutton is great right back at all.  But I've seen Lowton and Bacuna at right back this season, and both have been utterly hopeless.

Whilst I don't disagree with your general point (that Hutton hasn't been given a chance under Lambert)

I do think there's been a fair amount of revisionism in here by some (not necessarily you) in terms of just how terrible Hutton was for us.

Salifou Syndrome I guess. But I'd take Lowton and Bacuna over the Hutton that played for us any day of the week.

As I recall Spurs offered Friedal a 2 year deal and we wouldn't go that long ..so instead we gave a 5 year 60k a week deal to a 35 year old and paid £3.5mil.

The transfer was epic cock up from the get go.Same as Houiller being appointed , same as Mcliesh being appointed , same as Ireland being brought ..the list is endless

Â