Alan Hutton

Rich_D

We still have to pay him his wages even when he's with the reserves so we may as well just use him.

He's likely to have incentives added into the contract so by not playing him they won't run the risk of additional costs.

Having said that win bonuses have been a bit thin on the ground recently.........

Edited by Robbie09
  • Like 1

A ridiculous set of circumstances - whilst hardly setting the world on fire, Hutton certainly isn't the worst right back I've seen at VP in over 40 years of watching them. He seems to have decent games whenever I see him in a Scotland shirt and to my knowledge, has never moaned to the press about his predicament other than the usual agent-led article to remind people he's still alive. He wouldn't be my first choice, but with Lowtons demise this season and the Bacuna experiment at right back being a spectacular failure, I'm not sure why he hasn't at least had a look-in in Cup games to get him in the shop window ? To now hear that because he's on £40k a week means he won't get games is frankly laughable.....we've been paying Gabby more than this for best part of a decade for his 15 game seasons without a second thought.....and for some of the clowns on here to say that he should just leave to make it easy for us, is equally laughable. In most other walks of life, the seeds of a constructive dismissal claim would have been well sown by now - I'm sure Hutton would go almost anywhere to be part of a first team squad by now, but why should he piss money down the drain to help a toy town outfit balance the books, considering the way he's been treated?

What?

• Like 1

I too think there could be grounds for constructive dismissal.

I was never in favour of him in the first place and I have empathy with the club not wanting to pay his wages for what we have got from him, but contracts are contracts....we should have researched him better. The fact that the manager who signed him us no longer with us don't help.

However, I have some sympathy with the player too.

I thought AVFC was a bit above this.......poor judgement is our own fault.

We offered him a 4 year contract, so he is entitled to stay for the duration. I would do the same in my job, as would most people. 

The club can't moan at all when they've handed out stupid contracts to him, Given etc

Just got to take the hit for a couple more years, and move on. Amateur!

I think we should just play him! Sod it. Or if not just buy him out of the contract and give him the compensation for terminating it early. Either way we are going to be paying out for him anyway. One way we get use out of him, the other we can just move on.

Lambert has clearly said he is available and needs games etc etc. but there isn't going to be a club out there that will match his wages. The guy is gonna stick around, get the most amount of money that he can because he knows this is going to be the highest paid job that he will have until he retires. As soon as he leaves us he will be on half what he is now, probs less.

• Like 1

I too think there could be grounds for constructive dismissal.

I was never in favour of him in the first place and I have empathy with the club not wanting to pay his wages for what we have got from him, but contracts are contracts....we should have researched him better. The fact that the manager who signed him us no longer with us don't help.

However, I have some sympathy with the player too.

I thought AVFC was a bit above this.......poor judgement is our own fault.

He hasn't been dismissed though, and is getting paid full wages.

• Like 1

God mcleish is awful. But the given contract. It's unfathomable. 5 years. Why. Would. That. Be. Offered.

I guess that you need to point the finger at Faulkner for that one. The O'Neill resignation/dismissal* was a dispute about control of such things, so we can assume that Faulkner had complete control by the time that the Hutton contract was negotiated.

*delete as per your point of view

Although Hutton has shown he has been mainly rubbish for us, there is no way in hell the owner should have been allowed to meddle in team selection like this. I mean, what if Hutton actually showed he was capable in training, like that waste of space Tonev? Surely he'd be in line to be considered, even though he was on 40k a week. Also, its not as if 40k is a huge wage in this league anyway. Sadly, that's about average these days.

This makes us look like a pisspot cheapo outfit.

• Like 1

Although Hutton has shown he has been mainly rubbish for us, there is no way in hell the owner should have been allowed to meddle in team selection like this. I mean, what if Hutton actually showed he was capable in training, like that waste of space Tonev? Surely he'd be in line to be considered, even though he was on 40k a week. Also, its not as if 40k is a huge wage in this league anyway. Sadly, that's about average these days.

This makes us look like a pisspot cheapo outfit.

Where has it been said that the owner has 'meddled'?

Before Paul Lambert set foot in Villa Park, he said that Hutton's career with the club was over. Why was that?

He has picked Agbonlahor, Given, Bent, Delph and N'Zogbia, the first four of whom earn more than Hutton, with Charlie being on about the same. Why is that?

It's all smoke and mirrors. Lambert has a problem with Hutton that pre-dates his (Lambert's) arrival at Villa Park. His 'softening' statement is all about ridding himself of a millstone, and absolutely nothing to do with sympathy for the player, because there isn't any.

What disappoints me the most is that we are being made to look like a bad club.

In the Summer, we turned down 3 bids to take him on loan due to a failure to agree terms. We shouldn't really turn down terms for player who isn't going to play for us. Even if they only want to pay for 10% of his wages! it's 10% we are saving and it's putting Hutton in the shop window.

Instead, we have said no and just let him rot in he reserves...and this isn't a guy who has bad mouthed the club, this is a guy who STILL has been a model professional about the situation and has never bad mouthed the club.

I always liked to think we were the type of club that would except a bit of a bad deal if it meant that a player, a 'loyal' player (by loyal I mean not bad mouthing us and just doing as he is told), was given a chance to play football. Instead, we just look like a penny pinching bunch of arseholes.

I wonder whether this has an effect on Hutton's mental well being, I know everyone would love to be paid to do nothing, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. In my previous job, I received a (quite handsome) salary, but the winter meant I spent a lot of time sitting on my arse doing nothing. To start with it was great, I played a LOT of Skyrim, I spent a lot of time in the gym, but after a few weeks, I started to become extremely depressed, I felt useless, I had no reason to get out of bed, it was pretty rough. I now work in a different job, I work all year round...I wouldn't change back to what I had before. Yes, I know Hutton gets £40k a week, but mental health issues don't look at payslips, they just happen, money doesn't buy happiness as they say...I hope that our cracking medical team have got an eye on this player who is now part of the development squad.

One confusion for me is, does Lambert actually think Hutton is not good enough, or is it just a financial thing?

• Like 1

Alan Hutton has played 31 games for us.  I don't believe for a second that this shambolic position is due in anyway to appearance fees or similar.

No, I don't think it is either.

Lambert had a 'bomb squad' philosophy for a number of high earners he didn't see in his plans, not just this player. I doubt they were all on the verge of a pay rise. 

I think the policy makes it harder to move unwanted players on as they are not in the shop window, the counter argument might be that Lambert wanted a tighter knit dressing room of enthusiastic young players without the rejected players hanging around and complaining about a lack of match time etc. 

• Like 1

A ridiculous set of circumstances - whilst hardly setting the world on fire, Hutton certainly isn't the worst right back I've seen at VP in over 40 years of watching them. He seems to have decent games whenever I see him in a Scotland shirt and to my knowledge, has never moaned to the press about his predicament other than the usual agent-led article to remind people he's still alive. He wouldn't be my first choice, but with Lowtons demise this season and the Bacuna experiment at right back being a spectacular failure, I'm not sure why he hasn't at least had a look-in in Cup games to get him in the shop window ? To now hear that because he's on £40k a week means he won't get games is frankly laughable.....we've been paying Gabby more than this for best part of a decade for his 15 game seasons without a second thought.....and for some of the clowns on here to say that he should just leave to make it easy for us, is equally laughable. In most other walks of life, the seeds of a constructive dismissal claim would have been well sown by now - I'm sure Hutton would go almost anywhere to be part of a first team squad by now, but why should he piss money down the drain to help a toy town outfit balance the books, considering the way he's been treated?

What?

Yes, the 'Lichaj effect' where a player suddenly becomes good enough - and their many faults no longer exist once they are not in the team.

• Like 1

Hutton is incredibly shit.

That's why he isn't being played.

No it isn't.  He was bombed out before he'd even played a game.  And if we didn't play all of the players who were incredibly shit, we'd have to play five-a-side.

• Like 1

Â