Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Whilst I don't disagree with your general point (that Hutton hasn't been given a chance under Lambert)

I do think there's been a fair amount of revisionism in here by some (not necessarily you) in terms of just how terrible Hutton was for us.

I can't see any revisionism going on, and I certainly haven't argued that Hutton was any good at all . 

But here's the thing.  We're paying his wages anyway.  What have we got to lose by letting him train with the first team and seeing if he's improved?  If he's still dire, or a trouble maker, then fine, pack him back off to bomb squad central.  We won't have lost anything, because as I say, we're contracted to pay his wages anyway.  I've yet to see one remotely decent reason why we're treating him like we are.  If it's true that there's some sort of "previous" between Lambert and Hutton, then the manager needs to get over himself and realise the state we're in.  It's entirely possible that Hutton would still be as bad as we all recall, but if we don't look at him, we'll never know.  Just imagine if he did come back in and played well, it's not impossible.

• Like 2

Whilst I don't disagree with your general point (that Hutton hasn't been given a chance under Lambert)

I do think there's been a fair amount of revisionism in here by some (not necessarily you) in terms of just how terrible Hutton was for us.

I can't see any revisionism going on, and I certainly haven't argued that Hutton was any good at all . 

But here's the thing.  We're paying his wages anyway.  What have we got to lose by letting him train with the first team and seeing if he's improved?  If he's still dire, or a trouble maker, then fine, pack him back off to bomb squad central.  We won't have lost anything, because as I say, we're contracted to pay his wages anyway.  I've yet to see one remotely decent reason why we're treating him like we are.  If it's true that there's some sort of "previous" between Lambert and Hutton, then the manager needs to get over himself and realise the state we're in.  It's entirely possible that Hutton would still be as bad as we all recall, but if we don't look at him, we'll never know.  Just imagine if he did come back in and played well, it's not impossible.

There is blatant revisionism going on (But as I said, not by you). Hutton was pretty much universally derided for being awful for us. Now plenty of people seem to have forgotten that. His spell out of the team seems to have raised his stock with Villa fans (hence the Salifou syndrome quote)

As for your big paragraph, like I said, I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Hutton was poor and was certainly a player the fans wanted out.

We let in 59 league goals last season though. Could it have been much worse if he was given a chance?

I don't disagree with your general point (that Hutton hasn't been given a chance under Lambert)

If Lambert is supposed to be a better manager than McLeish, then shouldn't he do a better job of getting the best out of players?  He certainly hasn't managed it in a number of cases.

• Like 3

Fact is Lambert has clearly stated he is not playing due to money and yet we are still paying his wages and the RB he brought has been dropped from the squad so essentially we have 2 RB's one of which got a new contract in the summer not playing and which as well as wasting cash has meant Bacuna a midfield option has had to be played there..

The Bomb squad is a joke it's basically taken assets and made them worthless to the club.

• Like 1

No revision here, Hutton was not the worst player in the world but his lack of judgement meant he was a liability, a red card in the making in an awful lot of games.

Do you really want to go back to the days of watching last gasp challenges through your fingers?

I know players get better once they have been out for a while but with him its getting ridiculous.

Hutton Adebayor was poor and was certainly a player the fans wanted out.

big difference in skill level though, Adebayor is lazy while Hutton is just poor

Agreed. But also big difference in expectations - Adebayor has had to step in for a 26 million striker and Hutton would only need to cover for a makeshift right back when he's needed to be moved into midfield, so that we're not forced to play a sunday league footballer there. 

Bacuna certainly makes bad challenges/decisions during games. I would say about the same amount as Hutton (OK so Hutton looks like he will end someone's career every other game) and is a liability at times because he is not a right back. Hutton was at times cringeworthingly awful  and I didn't want to see him playing anymore so I suppose I shouldn't change my mind because he hasn't played for us for 18 months.

I do not understand why we have him with the kids though that's just disrespectful to the guy?

There was an interview with Lambert in the Mail last week where he said the only reason Hutton wasn't involved was because of his high wages.

Bacuna certainly makes bad challenges/decisions during games. I would say about the same amount as Hutton (OK so Hutton looks like he will end someone's career every other game) and is a liability at times because he is not a right back. Hutton was at times cringeworthingly awful  and I didn't want to see him playing anymore so I suppose I shouldn't change my mind because he hasn't played for us for 18 months.

I do not understand why we have him with the kids though that's just disrespectful to the guy?

he's not in our 25 man squad so there's no point having him training with the first team squad. 

plus, as you mention, he has habit of reckless challenges. I wouldn't want to risk him breaking someone's leg in training!

It's impossible for us to play him in the league this season though, because he isn't eligible. 

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/squad-lists/Premier-League-Squad-Lists-January-2014.pdf

we had option to change our 25-man squad after January transfer window, but Hutton was not added. the only changes were Holt & Bertrand in place of Stevens & Steiber (yep Steiber was picked over Hutton at the start of the season, which shows just how lowly Hutton is ranked).

The last time I can remember Hutton playing under McLeish, he nearly broke someone's leg. He is the definition of a meat head.

was it not the other way around. am sure last thing in a Villa jersey was Danny Rose smashing him up

I can't see any revisionism going on, and I certainly haven't argued that Hutton was any good at all .

But here's the thing. We're paying his wages anyway. What have we got to lose by letting him train with the first team and seeing if he's improved? If he's still dire, or a trouble maker, then fine, pack him back off to bomb squad central. We won't have lost anything, because as I say, we're contracted to pay his wages anyway. I've yet to see one remotely decent reason why we're treating him like we are. If it's true that there's some sort of "previous" between Lambert and Hutton, then the manager needs to get over himself and realise the state we're in. It's entirely possible that Hutton would still be as bad as we all recall, but if we don't look at him, we'll never know. Just imagine if he did come back in and played well, it's not impossible.

Reason why he isnt training with senior squads is because we are trying to force him out. No club is going to give him 40k a week so ball is being put in his court. Take a pay cut to play football or rot at Villa.

Terrible terrible player and people seem to forget his performances when it suits

No revision here, Hutton was not the worst player in the world but his lack of judgement meant he was a liability, a red card in the making in an awful lot of games.

Do you really want to go back to the days of watching last gasp challenges through your fingers?

I know players get better once they have been out for a while but with him its getting ridiculous.

Show me where anybody has said that he's got better for being out of the team?   Has anybody defended on him based on the fact that he's a great player?

Or are people just questioning the logic behind paying a player £40K a week and completely ignoring him?

Â