Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Baker is developing nicely, I'd agree - I think he's physically a better prospect than most of our younger players, he's big and he's quick. Hopefully he's grown out of his injury prone-ness and can keep on the field, I'd like to see more of him at CB.

Blocked more shots than anyone else, good with the ball only KEA completed more passes than him and I just read only Shawcross and Crouch have one more aerial duels than him in the last two games. He's a far better CB than Clark.

I obviously have not seen a lot of him, but he does remind me of Cahill.

He's a brute and wasn't intimidated by the likes of Fellaini and Distin at set pieces and that last ditch tackle on Naismith was brilliant.

I really hope Lambert gives him a chance because the thought of Clark being first choice makes me incredibly nervous.

From the front side article.

Filling in at left back, Nathan Baker was statistically amongst the top 20 players playing at the weekend and was Villa’s best performer. Winning 8 aerial duels against a physical West Ham side was impressive and the 2nd best in the league at the weekend, he also contributed with 5 tackles and 4 clearances. One area that Baker could statistically improve on was his passing; he completed only 63% of his passes (the lowest in starting lineup) but on the flip side attempted only one long ball.

I though he did ok at FB myself - but yes looked far more at home at CB. He reminds me of a 1970's CB - 6ft something and built like a brick shit house, Ken McNaught if you like. If he is 21 he should be given a goat CB

If he is 21 he should be given a goat...

You are strange :mrgreen:

Amazed it took so long ! - It should read:-

if hes 21 he should be given a go at CB

......But I am sure Randy can finance a goat for load .....1 per clean sheet perhaps !

Looks like a great centre back, not a left back, doesn't seem to have the right mentality for the attacking aspects of that position but definitely possesses the defensive intelligence to not make a pigs ear of it.

very raw at the moment still, another one who needs an experienced player who is willing to teach him to learn from.

Although i think he is a better option than Clark at CB there were moments of stupidity against Everton...

did people see the Miralles offside goal?

Baker followed the ball and completely left his man unmarked...

what made it worse was that he turned around and realised this but still refused to mark him...

if that goal had been allowed it would have been his fault for sure.....

he is young so will improve but Dunne needs to hurry up and come back IMO

I obviously have not seen a lot of him, but he does remind me of Cahill.

He's a brute and wasn't intimidated by the likes of Fellaini and Distin at set pieces and that last ditch tackle on Naismith was brilliant.

Yes, I enjoyed seeing him push Fellaini down to the ground and knee him, with Fellaini's face reading "What? It's me that does that to everyone else..."

Not getting carried away.

Remember last year he did play 6-7 games in a row and struggled in a fair few of those, against Chelsea he tried to head it instead of clearing and against Bolton he struggled when Davies came on and bullied our defence.

Of course there were difficult circumstances then as they were now. Baker strikes me as a Collins type defender, someone who's decent in the air and will block shots all day long but a bit of forward movement and he gets found out.

Not getting carried away.

Remember last year he did play 6-7 games in a row and struggled in a fair few of those, against Chelsea he tried to head it instead of clearing and against Bolton he struggled when Davies came on and bullied our defence.

Of course there were difficult circumstances then as they were now. Baker strikes me as a Collins type defender, someone who's decent in the air and will block shots all day long but a bit of forward movement and he gets found out.

If hes decent in the air and can block shots - he must be one of our best defenders. Think Clark will start myself.

Â