Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Just now, sne said:

Would leave us very fragile in the CB department as I have some doubts about Terry's ability to handle a full 46 game season, and even bigger doubts about Samba's ability. Both regarding injuries and actual ability.

The less said about Richards and Elphick the better.

Would definitely mean we won't be playing with a 3 CB formation.

Unless we have someone else on the way in...

Don't forget about Suliman, maybe Bruce is putting some faith in him. Either way, I'd much rather Baker stayed, bit gutted tbh.

• Like 1

I like Baker, and I would be sorry to see him leave.

I am kind of hoping he bumps his head on the way in and fails his medical.

Be sad to see him go and I definitely wouldn't want to sell him but I think he's good enough for first team football, so it's understandable why he might want out. 

Shades of Cahill here - obviously not of the same magnitude - but shades nonetheless. 

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

At the age of 26 Cahill signed for Chelsea... Baker at 26 is signing for Bristol City.

Love the guy, but this isn't even shades of the Cahill situation for me.

Well it is - he's generally rated at the moment as being a part of the future and a good option, stuck behind arguably better CBs and doesn't want to be 3rd or 4th fiddle.

Annoyed about this. Would have been a perfect rotation option if JT isn't able to play all games. Gives 100% and is one that's come through the youth system.

Don't see the point in selling him at all - unless we really are struggling that much for money?

So just read that Aiden Flint is off to Leeds which must be why Baker to Bristol has happened out of the blue.

I hope we have a plan for this, ideally a CB to come in to replace him as 3rd choice or a youngster ready to step up.

2 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

Annoyed about this. Would have been a perfect rotation option if JT isn't able to play all games. Gives 100% and is one that's come through the youth system.

Don't see the point in selling him at all - unless we really are struggling that much for money?

He didn't want to be 4th choice. Which I get. I don't think he should be. Samba has done well but against lower league opposition in friendly games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well it is - he's generally rated at the moment as being a part of the future and a good option, stuck behind arguably better CBs and doesn't want to be 3rd or 4th fiddle.

Cahill wasn't stuck behind better CB's though.  He was stuck behind Zat Knight and Curtis Davis.  I don't think I'l ever get over MONs decision to sell Cahill to Bolton.

• Like 1

Could be that Bristol made an offer. That offer was put to the player. Player then asked for assurances as to his first team place and didn't get them hence the transfer?

Controversal one though as I don't think Terry or Samba are fit enough to be relied upon for the whole season but De Laet and Jedinak can play at CB if needed.

That's a real shame if it's true.

I hope if it is true that it's driven by the player and not by the club. 

At this level he's a perfectly capable centreback. Yes he'd be behind Chester and Terry but with Terry's age there's no reason Baker wouldn't be getting regular game time.

That being said, the silver lining is that Baker was a huge cause of our hoofball last season. He has very little passing ability out from the back. Perhaps this is another move towards getting rid of that.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

That's a real shame if it's true.

I hope if it is true that it's driven by the player and not by the club. 

At this level he's a perfectly capable centreback. Yes he'd be behind Chester and Terry but with Terry's age there's no reason Baker wouldn't be getting regular game time.

That being said, the silver lining is that Baker was a huge cause of our hoofball last season. He has very little passing ability out from the back. Perhaps this is another move towards getting rid of that.

This is Steve Bruce we are talking about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Now this is shocking i didnt expect to see this happen. It better be  a bloody good fee.

We need another cb now sirely as cant count jedinak and that oaf Richards as cbs

A relative to to Count Dracula?

Â