Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

Even if you are the sort of person to be so heavily swayed by stats alone, I don't see how you can claim that goals, appearances and some nominal idea of his position on the pitch is sufficient to make a judgement that is more valid than one based on assessment of his skills and performances.

I like weimann, like him a lot. No, he's not progressed like we all thought he would and as one of his biggest fans, I can only be honest and say he's not playing well.

That said, I think the way some of the criticism on here is put forward is a little unfair. What he is is someone who always gives 100%. I can't think of another villa player who has worked harder for the team for sometime. He also, is quite unique in that he has come through the academy and actually offered something to the cause. Which you can't say about many, including those that have been tipped to be great.

My point is, as I keep saying, that he often ends up in the middle of the pitch and often ends up in front of goal, regardless of what WhoScored say about his 'position'. Even when he is out wide, he is still essentially a striker, never a winger. We see Benteke out wide a lot and always have done since he joined us, however we also see him in the middle of the pitch and in front of goal, just like Gabby and Andi.

The fact he is our top scorer and our top assist maker, with 3 goals and 2 assists in 16 games, says more about how poor we are rather than how good he is.

I like weimann, like him a lot. No, he's not progressed like we all thought he would and as one of his biggest fans, I can only be honest and say he's not playing well.

That said, I think the way some of the criticism on here is put forward is a little unfair. What he is is someone who always gives 100%. I can't think of another villa player who has worked harder for the team for sometime. He also, is quite unique in that he has come through the academy and actually offered something to the cause. Which you can't say about many, including those that have been tipped to be great.

As I said, I love that he gives 100% and I love that he worked his way up into the first team, I just don't think he is good enough for a team that apparently wants to be aiming higher up the table.

Edited by samjp26

I could play for Villa and put in 100%. Doesn't make me any good.

Who said anything about him being good? In fact I said quite the opposite.

Would rather players giving 100% and not being any good than players giving less than 100% and not being any good of which we have/have had plenty.

Unfortunately he's turned into a prat. It seems to happen a lot to us players sign a new contract then get a big head and let it affect them badly. I still hope he can get back to the levels of a couple of years ago but doubt it.

Unfortunately he's turned into a prat. It seems to happen a lot to us players sign a new contract then get a big head and let it affect them badly. I still hope he can get back to the levels of a couple of years ago but doubt it.

A prat?

What the more likely issue is is that football clubs continue to invest heavily in players on the back of a handful of performances, despite the vast majority of players not being able to continue that consistency over a period of time. A decent World Cup buys you a whopping pay rise nowadays.

I think some of you are being overly harsh on Andi.

On the rare occasion that he has been played as a striker it has been within a team that creates very few chances. For the most part though he has been asked to play as a wide midfielder with much of his emphasis on defending. I actually think more often than not he has done okay in that role. He will always put a shift in and work his bollocks off to help out our fullback something, which considering he is a striker, must be pretty alien to him.

He is 23 years old and given the role he has been asked to play and the lack of creativity in the team he has played in I wouldn't write the lad off just yet.

Great post

Really can't understand the hate here. Without him, we're in deep trouble right now. And you guys call him names? Unbelievable.

Absolutely. Don't rate him, fair enough but insults? He doesn't deserve them.

One of those who least deserve them.

Yes  two of the goals he's scored has gained us 4 pts. I'd like to see him given a run down the middle. Out wide he's just running himself into the ground. Its not getting the best use of him. Even Rooney never scored many goals out wide.

Edited by PaulC

Insults?

I see one person calling him a prat.

Well there's more than that, but even so, the point stands.

You were quite quick to highlight that it was unnecessary for me to call lambert a clown a few weeks back.

Edited by Woodytom

Having met him several times and seeing how he is at times both on and off the pitch i think he's got an attitude problem. This has developed IMO since he signed his contract. There's countless words to describe him but thought prat covered it. He is hard working but in a headless chicken sort of way. I do think he'd be a lot better through the middle but he can't play on his own up top so unless we change tactics he's knackered. I believe him and Gabby think they're as good as Benteke which they're no where near and this hinders our attacks as we lose width a lot as they both want to be the goal scoring hero. Being guaranteed a start also can't be good for him but that's not his fault.

A few weeks on you can remember that?

Fantastic :D

Especially considering I haven't insulted Andi whatsoever.

Eh? What you on about now?

What has you not insulting andi got to do with me remembering it?

I never said you had insulted him. I was merely highlighting that it was fair to challenge one insult, just like you did with me.

And I remember it, because I responded immediately, agreeing that you were right. Not that I expected you to notice/nor remember it. Not given the amount of nonsence you chat on here ;):P

Having met him several times and seeing how he is at times both on and off the pitch i think he's got an attitude problem. This has developed IMO since he signed his contract. There's countless words to describe him but thought prat covered it. He is hard working but in a headless chicken sort of way. I do think he'd be a lot better through the middle but he can't play on his own up top so unless we change tactics he's knackered. I believe him and Gabby think they're as good as Benteke which they're no where near and this hinders our attacks as we lose width a lot as they both want to be the goal scoring hero. Being guaranteed a start also can't be good for him but that's not his fault.

I've also met him several times and doesn't come across like that at all.

Â