Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

1 minute ago, John said:

He played a big part in how badly this season has turned out for me. His decision was motivated by money alone and my feelings towards him are unchanged at best. He is and always will be a snake!  

I don't see how a move from relegation battlers to title challengers can be said to be only due to money. 

If he had decided to move to the Chinese league then you could say it was only about money. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don't see how a move from relegation battlers to title challengers can be said to be only due to money. 

If he had decided to move to the Chinese league then you could say it was only about money. 

He was our captain as well as a first team regular for us and he had made his way into the England team with us. He left us shortly having said he would stay. He had no guarantee he would play first team football on a regular basis for Citeh and therefore risked his England place by moving.

When players move they often claim to do so for medals and/or to further their career in football. In most cases I suspect they do so for money rather than for medals or to enhance their prospects of international call ups. There are many players who have moved but have seen their career take a nose dive as a result although their bank balance compensates them for this in the short term at least. I think this was a risk the snake decided he was willing to take after a couple of days thought. You may be right that it was not all about money or I might be right that it was. It may have been 99% - 1% about money. But what for me is 100% sure is that he is nothing but a snake.          

Edited by John

You might be right John. What a disgusting thought that a player would stifle his own athletic growth and footballing expressiveness in oder to make a few million more. You have to be really cynical to sign off on that kind of approach to life. 

• Like 1

I dont blame him for leaving how can you but the way he went about it was completely wrong. He should have said I need a new challenge come summer and put in the performances until then. But he spat in every fans face when he did what he did. 

• Like 2

I think it was about money and I don't blame him for that but they way he went about it was wrong. Still i don't have bad feelings about him because he always gave his all for Villa and that for me counts more than words.

as others have said its not the fact that he left its the fact that he pissed us about and much like everyone else over the last 5 years he kicked us while we were down and the club just took it without so much as a squeal, our marketing team and lerner's vow of silence again doing us no favours

one thing about this i do hate is how sterling is put alongside him, i havent got a problem with what sterling did, liverpool offered him silly money, he rejected it to sign for a better team for a figure, the media dragged him through the mud and he said a couple of silly things, nothing compared to what delph did though IMO people are still stuck in the idea that players only join city for money

• Like 1

Yes but Sterling did it during the season which i think is worse and also Man City was only a minor step upwards whereas Villa to Man City is a massive step upwards.

Edited by PaulC

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but Sterling did it during the season which i think is worse and also Man City was only a minor step upwards whereas Villa to Man City is a massive step upwards.

a team that won 2 titles in 3 years for a team that has challenged for the league twice in 25 years is a huge step up ;)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe he was also keen to play for a manager who saw him as a bit more than an auxiliary full-back.

I'm still slightly puzzled that people are still so mad about this. I do wonder if nobody else in this thread has ever made a mistake or changed their mind about something.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm still slightly puzzled that people are still so mad about this. I do wonder if nobody else in this thread has ever made a mistake or changed their mind about something.

I've never made a mistake or changed my mind! 

Oh wait, actually... Yeah I have, sorry, my mistake ;)

• Like 1

I don't hold any anger towards Delph, the way he left annoyed me at the time but I don't blame him for wanted to move to a successful club on more money with a chance of winning things. We can all create reasons why he would've been better staying at Villa but if we take our claret and blue raybans off then we'd probably do the same. 

• Like 2

No way he did it for money only. Sure, the way he did it was snake-ish, but ultimately he chose wisely. He wouldn't have been the difference between Villa staying up and going down. What good for his career would have been captaining a train wreck? 

That said, imagine what Veretout must be thinking about such choices :D poor schmug should sack his advisors immediately.

20 hours ago, maqroll said:

Ok, here's a question for you-and I'm on the fence- Does Delph come across any better now than he did when he was at the receiving end most of the vitriol that came his way?

Does his flip flopping reveal a player struggling between loyalty to the club and the increasingly clear understanding that the club was in even worse a state than most of us knew at the time?

His conduct remains poor, nothing changes that.

But does he deserve a little less stick at this point, knowing what we know now about the complete shitshow going on behind the scenes at Villa Park....

I never had a problem with the choice of club.

It's not like when Barry move and at the time you could make a decent argument there was little between the clubs. Even last summer there was a huge gulf and it's only going to get bigger now and in the next few years.

My problem was him changing his mind 500 times, it messes up people's emotions and feelings.

We had him staying in January, then deciding to leave in early July, then deciding a week later he wanted to stay and put his statement on the O/S...and then a week later he completely backtracked and went for his medical.

Felt pretty non-plussed on that Friday and it certainly set the tone for this disastrous seasons. Ultimately we just didn't replace him well enough, same for Benteke. 

Â