Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I didn't know snakes had [insert latest injured body part here}

You've embarrassed yourself. He injured his tongue.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

So fair to say that this move to City has only succeeded in lining his pockets and nothing more? word removed.

Wasn't that the whole point of the move. Sit on the bench, collect the odd medal, play the odd league cup game, watch the money roll in. Doesn't sound to bad to me. Certainly better than playing for a terrible manager (Sherwood) and getting relegated.

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

Wasn't that the whole point of the move. Sit on the bench, collect the odd medal, play the odd league cup game, watch the money roll in. Doesn't sound to bad to me. Certainly better than playing for a terrible manager (Sherwood) and getting relegated.

yep

collect the money, collect a few winners medals*, get a guaranteed england call up**, play a few cup games and CL dead rubbers, play in 25 games a season*** and claim that you made the right choice

* i think they've changed the rules in the cups, sure it used to be the match day squad that got medals, now i think its anyone who plays a game in any round

** he would have made the squad, roy likes him, if he'd had played so few games for villa this season he wouldnt have got a sniff

*** it sounds like he does play regularly because he will get 25 games a year but that represents half of citys games, the argument "he never plays" is weakened because they play so many times, its when you look at the magnitude of the games that it becomes apparent

• 1 month later...

from the Sport Bible so prob bullshit but this would be too funny if its true. his positioning was shocking in midfield

Pep Guardiola is only in the door five minutes at Manchester City and he's already trying to imprint his very specific philosophy of how to play football - by turning Fabian Delph into a centre-back.

The Spanish coach officially took the reigns at City last week, and has been coaching the Premier League club's array of stars to play football the way he likes it to be played.

And there are suggestions that could involved Delph - and possibly fellow midfielder Fernando - making the move from the middle of the park into the back four.

During training this week, Guardiola has been separating his squad into their corresponding positions; the defenders all training together, the midfielders training together etc.

Rather than joining in with the midfield group, Delph and Fernando have been put with the defenders:

At Barcelona, Guardiola developed midfielder Javier Mascherano into one of his first-choice centre-backs, and he did the same at Bayern Munich with Xabi Alonso at times.

http://www.thesportbible.com/football/news-pep-guardiola-is-training-one-of-his-players-to-be-a-centre-back-20160719?utm_campaign=TheSportBible-Post-Engagement&utm_medium=paid_social_external&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=The-last-person-you'd-expect...&utm_term=M-18-35

• Like 1

Can you imagine Delph at center back? If I was a manager and saw that, I would sub on my biggest forward or even center back immediately and just tell him to stand next to delph all match and cross into him. 

Benteke would probably have 6 goals by the 20th minute. 

• 3 months later...

I think he must regret the move, even though we've been relegated. Captain of the club, loved by the fans for being 'loyal', regular starter for England. Now he's injury prone, can't get a look in at City, and noway near making the England squad. 100% he'd of been on the plane to France had he stayed at Villa. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I think he must regret the move, even though we've been relegated. Captain of the club, loved by the fans for being 'loyal', regular starter for England. Now he's injury prone, can't get a look in at City, and noway near making the England squad. 100% he'd of been on the plane to France had he stayed at Villa. 

he's been a sub in the champions league though...and earned a few million more than we'd have paid him...and since when did not playing for a top 4 team mean you didnt get an england call up, IIRC he made the 30 man squad and withdrew with injury

id say thats the surprising thing about him there, based on the pic of him taking his shirt off from last season they've bulked him up and got him doing something different, not saying its causing all the niggly injuries but something is

and he'll be the same as the likes of rodwell and richards when he leaves city, it wont be anything to do with him not being good enough or chasing money or failing to get out when he should have done, it'll be that injuries kept him from getting a good run in the team

38 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I wonder if he could take it back, would he?  The flip side to all of the above is the no doubt enormous wage and the CL experiences he has had a taste of.  But you're right that as of now his prospects of playing any football at all are slim, and consequently of picking up any medals along the way.  He'll no doubt see his team-mates pick up the odd one here and there.  I do feel bad for him a bit.  I know I shouldn't.  But I don't think what he did was outrageous in modern football.  Yes he made a balls of his U-turn but I think he did it initially for the right reasons and then gave his head a wobble and did what he felt was right for his career.  Hindsight eh?

• Like 2

Â