Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Never going to cut it at city, if he didn't have that release clause city wouldn't have looked twice at him, expect him to get a loan to a club like Everton in January

Edited by Jimzk5

He was literally only bought because he was a cheap way for City to meet the criteria of having enough English players in their squad. 

He has wasted a year and half of his career now. He was starting for England while he was playing for us and he was making at least 60k a week. He got cocky and thought he could actually make City's XI or at least their subs, but that is not how City works. City's fans and board are not happy to have a player like Delph starting for them when they are competing for titles and cups. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

He was literally only bought because he was a cheap way for City to meet the criteria of having enough English players in their squad. 

He has wasted a year and half of his career now. He was starting for England while he was playing for us and he was making at least 60k a week. He got cocky and thought he could actually make City's XI or at least their subs, but that is not how City works. City's fans and board are not happy to have a player like Delph starting for them when they are competing for titles and cups. 

I bet his wife/gf is buzzing though.

Never thought he had quick enough feet to be top class.....also his gait was a bit ungamely, tended to look untidy in his work.....He had good moments, but not enough for the top.

for us now, he would be fine....I'm nit picking in relation to reaching the top.

just disappointed we got mugged for him....it was lose/lose all round....with the exception of Mrs Delph's Harvey Nick's account.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Never thought he had quick enough feet to be top class.....also his gait was a bit ungamely, tended to look untidy in his work.....He had good moments, but not enough for the top.

for us now, he would be fine....I'm nit picking in relation to reaching the top.

just disappointed we got mugged for him....it was lose/lose all round....with the exception of Mrs Delph's Harvey Nick's account.

I think that's a bit harsh.  He may not have been good enough to make it at the very top, but he was good enough for someone at the top to at least try him out, and use him the odd time.  He would be good enough for all bar the elite in the Premier League and he would certainly be more than fine for us right now.  With England he never looked out of his depth either.  I think he's a very good centre mid and worth a lot more than the paltry £8m that we got for him (which I know is £8m more than we would have got only for that clause).  I think in the end he was even curtailing his rate of yellow card accumulation too.  What I will agree with is that all in all, it's disappointing how it panned out for all 3 parties.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think that's a bit harsh.  He may not have been good enough to make it at the very top, but he was good enough for someone at the top to at least try him out, and use him the odd time.  He would be good enough for all bar the elite in the Premier League and he would certainly be more than fine for us right now.  With England he never looked out of his depth either.  I think he's a very good centre mid and worth a lot more than the paltry £8m that we got for him (which I know is £8m more than we would have got only for that clause).  I think in the end he was even curtailing his rate of yellow card accumulation too.  What I will agree with is that all in all, it's disappointing how it panned out for all 3 parties.

apart for my "Craig Revel Horwood" bit ....I agree with you.

I meant the very top.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

he's been a sub in the champions league though...and earned a few million more than we'd have paid him...and since when did not playing for a top 4 team mean you didnt get an england call up, IIRC he made the 30 man squad and withdrew with injury

id say thats the surprising thing about him there, based on the pic of him taking his shirt off from last season they've bulked him up and got him doing something different, not saying its causing all the niggly injuries but something is

and he'll be the same as the likes of rodwell and richards when he leaves city, it wont be anything to do with him not being good enough or chasing money or failing to get out when he should have done, it'll be that injuries kept him from getting a good run in the team

that 1st part really an achievement. he could do that at Celtic

never rated him when he was here and said it at the time. looked better when playing with shit here but hasnt got the brain, tackling ability or passing ability for top 10 in Premier League. said it at time he wasnt even as useful as Sidwell or Reo-Coker

will end up at West Brom if he is lucky

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

never rated him when he was here and said it at the time. looked better when playing with shit here but hasnt got the brain, tackling ability or passing ability for top 10 in Premier League. said it at time he wasnt even as useful as Sidwell or Reo-Coker

will end up at West Brom if he is lucky

I can't agree with that. At 27 he'll be a great purchase for someone if he moves in Jan or even at the end of the season. 

I could see him doing really well in a diamond midfield with Barry, Gana & Barkley at Everton. He's definitely above the level of Pulis's West Brom and as for being less effective than NRC.. well now you're just having a giraffe. :D

Actually if we were in amongst the play-offs come January I think it would be fantastic to try and bring him back on loan with a view to a permanent.

Edited by TheAuthority
Added last paragraph

8 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I can't agree with that. At 27 he'll be a great purchase for someone if he moves in Jan or even at the end of the season. 

I could see him doing really well in a diamond midfield with Barry, Gana & Barkley at Everton. He's definitely above the level of Pulis's West Brom and as for being less effective than NRC.. well now you're just having a giraffe. :D

Actually if we were in amongst the play-offs come January I think it would be fantastic to try and bring him back on loan with a view to a permanent.

he will go same way as people thought Sinclair be a good signing for us or Rodwell a good signing for Sunderland

Reo-Coker was a hell of a lot more useful than Delph at least he put his foot in and not pick up stupid yellow cards

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he will go same way as people thought Sinclair be a good signing for us or Rodwell a good signing for Sunderland

Reo-Coker was a hell of a lot more useful than Delph at least he put his foot in and not pick up stupid yellow cards

I would argue that Delph had done more than Sinclair & Rodwell before all of their moves. Sinclair had a great season in the championship but had never really done it the premier league and Rodwell was basically bought all on potential (and being English.)

Delph was captain of Aston Villa, had been a major factor in helping us get to the final of the FA Cup and was a regular for England. I think he will do much better than the other 2 when he leaves City

NRC - 102 apps 19 yellow cards = 1 card per 5.36 games
Delph - 123 apps 25 yellow cards = 1 card per 4.92 games

So Delph picked up less yellow cards than NRC over his Villa career, 'stupid' or sensible ones.

Edited by TheAuthority

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I wonder if he could take it back, would he?  The flip side to all of the above is the no doubt enormous wage and the CL experiences he has had a taste of.  But you're right that as of now his prospects of playing any football at all are slim, and consequently of picking up any medals along the way.  He'll no doubt see his team-mates pick up the odd one here and there.  I do feel bad for him a bit.  I know I shouldn't.  But I don't think what he did was outrageous in modern football.  Yes he made a balls of his U-turn but I think he did it initially for the right reasons and then gave his head a wobble and did what he felt was right for his career.  Hindsight eh?

I wonder whether the slithering snake feels a bit bad about how last season went for us without him? I knew rats desert a sinking ship but it seems snakes also play a big part in sinking it. He put money ahead of playing football and as I said at the time he would lose his international place and sit on a bench at best as a result. I feel as sorry for him as he feels for us.       

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

. . . is all that needs to be said really.

25 minutes ago, John said:

I wonder whether the slithering snake feels a bit bad about how last season went for us without him? I feel as sorry for him as he feels for us.       

I doubt he took any particular pleasure in seeing us go down. I'd hope and think that he's a bigger man than that. 

Â