Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Hes been the best midfielder in pre season so far from what Ive seen. A real driving force at times that is capable of opening things up. Really hope he keeps up the good performances and I can see him being one of our most important players for the future.

• Like 2

Delph impressed in a defensive role, which includes carrying the ball forward to give it on (although he passes a long way backwards too often).

Delph seemed to have a decent shot on him at Leeds and scored a few, I'm hoping he can knock in 5 or 6 next season from midfield .

This is the completely unreasonable, groundless, expectation that I think needs a correction.

Delph is not that kind of player. He won't out-score Craig Gardner, Adam Johnson, Aaron Lennon, James Milner and David Silva. I'd set his target at 1 goal. That is equivalent to Gareth Barry or Michael Carrick.

Barry used to score a few more than 1 as he was our pen taker.

Could be his year, such strange attributes for the role he has in the team but when he's on form like he was at the end of last year and thus far in pre-season, he can be a huge asset. His quick feet and sharpness have really impressed me in possession and that bodes well, finally showing his quality hopefully and just now needs to stay off the injury table!

I really enjoy midfielders who can drive forward, it can be such a strength on the counter attack and when under the cosh if a player can pick up the ball and burst past someone and open up space or win a free-kick. I don't expect him to score or create that many goals because I think Lambert will push the full backs on like usual and leave Westwood and Delph to sit deeper and cover the counter but when the opportunity arises, I hope he's given the freedom and shows the bravery to try to make something happen like a step over and beat a man to open something up around the opponents final third.

Exciting one for next year anyway. Finally!

• Like 2

Could be his year, such strange attributes for the role he has in the team but when he's on form like he was at the end of last year and thus far in pre-season, he can be a huge asset. His quick feet and sharpness have really impressed me in possession and that bodes well, finally showing his quality hopefully and just now needs to stay off the injury table!

I really enjoy midfielders who can drive forward, it can be such a strength on the counter attack and when under the cosh if a player can pick up the ball and burst past someone and open up space or win a free-kick. I don't expect him to score or create that many goals because I think Lambert will push the full backs on like usual and leave Westwood and Delph to sit deeper and cover the counter but when the opportunity arises, I hope he's given the freedom and shows the bravery to try to make something happen like a step over and beat a man to open something up around the opponents final third.

Hope your right, needs a bit of bulk, if you could put Delph in NRC's body he'd be twice they player.

I think if he can stay free of injury for once we'll see him at his best this season. At the start of last season i one of those bashing his performances but he really surprised me the way he came on in leaps and bounds in the end.

He changed my opinion of him as a footballer in a big way. He also seems to have alot of pride to play for the shirt - a quality Lambert has now instilled in most the squad. I remember him and Milner having a spat i think 2 or 3 seasons back when we played City in the cup, was good to see his passion as if he was pissed that Jimmy jumped ship.

Delph, Sylla, Westwood first choice in the middle again this year? Hopefully

Same as with our defenders and the other midfielders he needs to turn his top level performances from last season into this seasons average level and find a new even higher top level. Can he do it? Let's hope so...

Still think we need to add both guile, strenght and composure to our  midfield if we are to become a stable midtable team, but not sure we have the money to do that

He is still learning, but what I like about him is he gets after the opposition, he is effective, He disrupts their play as one poster wrote he is like a blue arsed fly.

He needs to bring a bit of structure/composure to his game and stop the unnecessary bookings...but I like him a bit of a Des Bremner at times.

He turns defence in to attack...essential in my book, for winning the ball and switching in to the ascendency.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

love that post...ditto

ps don't tell ghost, I pressed the quote button, else I'm dead.

mmmmmmmmmmmm I am yet to be convinced by Delph. Flashes of ability no doubt, but he cannot shoot for sod all and does like to dive into a challenge every so often. I don't think he will ever be the guy to open up teams with a killer pass on a regular basis, or chip in with 10 goals a season year in year out - but I do think he could be the midfield 'sitter' and just keep things ticking over with the odd foray forward.

My problem with that is (in my mind) puts him directly in competition with Westy.

Edited by AshVillain

One of the first names on the team sheet for me. I get the impression he is a Lambert type player. I think there is much more to come from Delph.

I'm inclined to agree. The lad has a fantastic attitude and is very much Lamberts type of player. Given all his injury problems over the last 4 years it is all credit to him that he performed so well in the second half of last season and we got to see the player we all hoped he would be when he arrived.

I am expecting big things from him this season when hopefully he can reproduce the form he showed over the last 4 months of last season when he was excellent.

mmmmmmmmmmmm I am yet to be convinced by Delph. Flashes of ability no doubt, but he cannot shoot for sod all and does like to dive into a challenge every so often. I don't think he will ever be the guy to open up teams with a killer pass on a regular basis, or chip in with 10 goals a season year in year out - but I do think he could be the midfield 'sitter' and just keep things ticking over with the odd foray forward.

My problem with that is (in my mind) puts him directly in competition with Westy.

In your mind but evidently not on the pitch. On the pitch he's been doing just fine in the roaming role.

Regardless he's not disciplined enough to "sit". 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Loved his interview, he's hilarious. I think he explained why it took him a while to reach the heights he's at now. He said it takes a while after a long term injury to get back to playing the way you used to. Which makes perfect sense as when he came back during McLeish's season, he couldn't even trap the ball properly and now he's skinning 2/3 Chelsea players in a row. It's only upwards from here and I'm looking forward to seeing him flourish next season.

Â