Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

He played LB vs Fulham in 10/11, I remember because he had a great game and he was the player who passed the ball to Bannan for *THAT* pass for Albrightons goal

Yeah that didnt sound right to me as I was at the game.

So I checked and I was right he didnt play in that game.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/match/46111/fulham-vs-aston-villa/report

Pretty sure he was injured at that point.

I stand corrected, was convinced it was the Fulham game

The hope is that it was a growing phase. Players who take a stretch can be injured more easily while they do it. He's approaching 23 now though so that has to be over. I'd tend to think his playing style is too agressive for his slight frame though. You can't be going into tackles like a freight train if you have nothing like the bulk to back it up. You are just going to be injured far too frequently; not to mention suspended. We love him for his tenacity but he's a yellow card and/or an injury waiting to happen. So that's something he & PL would have to look at. There must be a happy medium to be found because there is clearly a good player in there.

The hope is that it was a growing phase. Players who take a stretch can be injured more easily while they do it. He's approaching 23 now though so that has to be over. I'd tend to think his playing style is too agressive for his slight frame though. You can't be going into tackles like a freight train if you have nothing like the bulk to back it up. You are just going to be injured far too frequently; not to mention suspended. We love him for his tenacity but he's a yellow card and/or an injury waiting to happen. So that's something he & PL would have to look at. There must be a happy medium to be found because there is clearly a good player in there.

I remember a few years back he was sat next to NRC in the team photo and his legs looked tiny compared to Nige.

Agreed, well said.

Delph is a cracking player and just needs a bit of luck, when we signed him he didn't have this terrible injury record, it was just the fact he nakered his knee and then had a few set backs! Hopefully he'll get a good pre season under his belt and impress PL.

I have my fingers crossed but if I was PL I would be looking at Delph in same way as Albrighton i.e. if we get good things from them next season it will be a bonus rather than something we are relying on.

This time last year there were many similar positive/hopeful posts to this and Delph did get a fair few games early on and failed to produce any great form.

Maybe it was the manager, maybe it was his previous injuries I don't know.

All I know is that if we are to see the best of him it's as the box to box player we bought from Leeds not the DM we have been trying to turn him into ever since.

Cracking player? Christ, there were no excuses for some of his performances last season (when he was supposedly fully fit!)

To be fair you could count on one hand how many times last season any of our players had a good game. We were that woeful 95% of the season!

I'd love to live in a parallel universe to watch a Delph without all his horrendous injuries, to see what he is like then, but since I obviously can't I worry the tragedy of his injury problems will prevent us from ever seeing him at his best.

I think he was a good player Kiwivillan, he was whole-hearted with a great engine, busy and determined, he really shook the game up and took it to the opposition, got in their faces and made things happen. Unfortunately, his tendency to throw himself in to challenges (And he could be rash, always needed to be partnered with an experienced calm head, like Petrov, to tell him to calm down now and again) was the reason his career has been hampered by so many injuries.

I would definitely sell him. I know he has been unfortunate with injuries, but from what I have seen when he has been fit; nothing has convinced me that he is, or will ever be Premiership quality. I just don't rate the kid I'm afraid. I don't understand the fuss over him to be fair.

Â