Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I honestly think it's his lack of confidence. He looked extremely nervous most of the time this season, and that's probably down to the coaching/management. Last season, near the end he looked very decent and I had high hopes for him this season.

I think injuries and lack of playing time have ruined him. When he was fit when we first got him he just sat on the bench and since then he has been injured most of the time. Sucks that it happened but its the risk of young high potential players.

I expect we'll sell him this or next summer and he might go on to be a decent championship player.

I honestly think it's his lack of confidence. He looked extremely nervous most of the time this season, and that's probably down to the coaching/management. Last season, near the end he looked very decent and I had high hopes for him this season.

I'd agree with this. Definitely looks like he's playing with a bundle o nerves, but there's a talent in there. Don't forget he's still very young and, with injuries, manager changes and loans, he's hardly had a settled time of it.

We have put Delph back a few years in the way we blooded him into the team. I mean that in the sense that we didnt do any blooding at all. He was left to rot on the bench for far too long. Other clubs would have been putting him straight in the team, especially after his showings in pre season when he first arrived. Hes got a bit more playing since Ged came here and then Mcleish but the damage had already been done a long time ago.

Its a long way back for Delph. I hope he can do it here but its looking unlikely now

I suspect that we didn’t pay £7 million straight, but a fee and a series of add ons. A great deal of the criticism is done with hindsight; at the time the fact that we beat Man City (yes Man City) who had bid more to him seemed like we had pulled off a great deal.

Well he’s turned out to not be so great (in part through injury), but I don’t think he’s the real problem here. Sure we over paid, sure he hasn’t turned out so well, but he’s not even a 1/100th of why we are in this position...

Mostly this but I still think there is a decent player in there waiting to come out if coached consistently and correctly

I suspect that we didn’t pay £7 million straight, but a fee and a series of add ons. A great deal of the criticism is done with hindsight; at the time the fact that we beat Man City (yes Man City) who had bid more to him seemed like we had pulled off a great deal.

Well he’s turned out to not be so great (in part through injury), but I don’t think he’s the real problem here. Sure we over paid, sure he hasn’t turned out so well, but he’s not even a 1/100th of why we are in this position...

Mostly this but I still think there is a decent player in there waiting to come out if coached consistently and correctly

not gonna happen any time soon.

I think he is easily Premier League quality. I think his 'enthusiastic' style of play has hampered his development because his slight frame means he has been injured more than he needed to be. I think if anything he has been trying too hard. That's a coaching thing (gulp). I think he has more than enough about him once he finds a tempo that suits him. He has shown on occasion (Fiorentina) that he can do it all in midfield. He can be box to box or attacking or defensive.

He had a decent game in a pre season friendly where fiorentina didn't turn up. a good game against man utd and he had a good game against brighton in the fa cup. the other 20 times he has played he has been awful. he can't tackle can't pass and generally can't control the football. i would get rid of him ASAP. he is also injury prone

against blackburn in the cup he was MOTM until O'Neill subbed him.

He played well at LB, when I saw him play one of the best passes of the season too Albrighton, down the left wing.

He can pass & can shoot. He just hasn't shown it very often in the last 2 years. Maybe with a few better players around him he would be more confident, or have less defensive work to do.

I think he is easily Premier League quality. I think his 'enthusiastic' style of play has hampered his development because his slight frame means he has been injured more than he needed to be. I think if anything he has been trying too hard. That's a coaching thing (gulp). I think he has more than enough about him once he finds a tempo that suits him. He has shown on occasion (Fiorentina) that he can do it all in midfield. He can be box to box or attacking or defensive.

He had a decent game in a pre season friendly where fiorentina didn't turn up. a good game against man utd and he had a good game against brighton in the fa cup. the other 20 times he has played he has been awful. he can't tackle can't pass and generally can't control the football. i would get rid of him ASAP. he is also injury prone

against blackburn in the cup he was MOTM until O'Neill subbed him.

He played well at LB, when I saw him play one of the best passes of the season too Albrighton, down the left wing.

He can pass & can shoot. He just hasn't shown it very often in the last 2 years. Maybe with a few better players around him he would be more confident, or have less defensive work to do.

The thing with Delph is lots of ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ and ‘maybes’.

I think they were relying on big things from Delph this year.

How else can you justify the lack of depth in CM this year?

However it has not gone well for Fabian and as lots have suggested the jury is very much out on whether it ever will.

For my part I had high hopes for him when he signed now with injuries and poor form my hopes are rapidly diminishing.

My view is that if he makes it now it will be a big bonus because I don't have the expectations I once did.

I forgot he even played for us, thats how disappointing he's been......... for me far too slow in the head to be a top flight midfielder..... very very overpriced - think he will drift down the leagues and end up back in league 1

I think Delph is fairly mediocre myself, a jack of all trades utility player who isn't particularly good at one aspect of the game.

I think part of the problem is that he's been treated as such, stuck at defensive mid, on the wing, left back, but rarely has he been permitted to play as a more attacking left-sided CM. He looked his best at Leeds when he was allowed to burst forward at will, rather than being shouldered with so much defensive responsibility. As we've seen, he can't tackle and doesn't have the physicality required to play a defensive role in a Premier League midfield, so, imo, he needs to be used as an alternative for Ireland/Bannan (if he sticks around) at the point of a central 3, with Herd holding and Gardner or, uh, someone providing more box-to-box support. If he can grab a goal or at least start making some positive contributions to the attack, I think we'll see his confidence and form start to return.

He looked his best at Leeds when he was allowed to burst forward at will, rather than being shouldered with so much defensive responsibility.
Which is correctly identifying that Delph looked better against 3rd division opposition.

There are SO many areas where he has to improve before even being considered for a starting place.

I say sub him in Ireland's spot for a few games and see what he can do there. When playing next to Petrov he looked out of his comfort zone but that probably had to do with McLeish telling him to defend more than attack.

I say sub him in Ireland's spot for a few games and see what he can do there. When playing next to Petrov he looked out of his comfort zone but that probably had to do with McLeish telling him to defend more than attack.

my guess is not a lot

Â