Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Injuries have really taken their toll on Delph. He's half the player he was when he joined.

Saying that people blame the fact he's been played out of position on his lack of form. Irrespective of where on the pitch he is played, not being able to control the ball or pass to a team-mate 10 yards away is unforgivable.

• 4 weeks later...

He had 1 good game for villa at left back when he covered due to injuries. Houllier then started him at left back and he was that shit he got subbed at half time.

He should never ever be a left back, he is worse at left back than he is in midfield :lol:

I'm glad he's got a long contract, I think he'll do well under Lambert. Say what you want about his first touch and his short passing, he WAS hampered by playing in a defensive role.

2 years ago he put in some decent performances but was again halted by injury. You can't conpletely lose your abilities by picking up a few niggles. Before he was injured, I remember a number of games where he was the only player on the team with the will & confidence to run at the opposition. We need players like that.

I reckon we'll see him feature this year, hopefully alongside someone like KEA, who can let him attack.

He had 1 good game for villa at left back when he covered due to injuries. Houllier then started him at left back and he was that shit he got subbed at half time.

He should never ever be a left back, he is worse at left back than he is in midfield :lol:

Hou played him at LB? I don't recall thàt, I'm pretty sure MON put him on at LB in the past, may have been again united I think.

I rembember him playing decently at LB, but this was before all his injuries took they're toll on him, his sure touch, and crisping passing was the thing that made him look quality.

Injuries/lack of confidence has robbed him of this.

So Im sure if Delph can stay injury free, Lambert will bring the best out of him IMO..

I agree with that but the bit in bold is something he hasn't managed to do yet. It's the one limiting factor with him and it's very limiting indeed.

He played LB vs Fulham in 10/11, I remember because he had a great game and he was the player who passed the ball to Bannan for *THAT* pass for Albrightons goal

Yeah that didnt sound right to me as I was at the game.

So I checked and I was right he didnt play in that game.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/match/46111/fulham-vs-aston-villa/report

Pretty sure he was injured at that point.

I have real high expectations for Fabian Delph under Lambert. It will be like a new signing in the right sense of the word, since he has contributed nothing since he came from Leeds. That is mostly due to injuries, and I think people are unfair when they write him off as a bad player. Much liker Anderson at Man Utd, who has shown to be a player worthy of every team in the world when playing 10 games on the trot - only for his reputation to plummit when he sustains an injury. Of course, you have to factor in the injuries when they come back every season, but let us hope young Delph is now rid of them and that he is not a new Michael Owen. Robin van Persie was long written off as a player who would never make it because of injuries but we all saw what happened when he managed to stay fit. Above all, Delph is 22 years old and that is nothing. If he was 25 it would look a bit crap, but he has a lot of time to develop into a fine player. Imagine if he has a decent season this year, and next year he suddenly has a very good season, he would only be 24 years old and still a young player. Like I said, way too early to write him off and all he needs is to stay away from injuries. I have myself been a footballer all my life, but injuries started to appear when I was in the best shape of my life and that does something to you. If he comes on the pitch and knows something is going to happen within two weeks in terms of a strain or something else, that is going to kill your optimal game no doubt about it. Delph had a one-off injury that put him back completely, now let's just hope he can carry motivation from it and work 100% to become a great Premier League-player.

So Im sure if Delph can stay injury free, Lambert will bring the best out of him IMO..

I agree with that but the bit in bold is something he hasn't managed to do yet. It's the one limiting factor with him and it's very limiting indeed.

Yeah I should have emphasized the IF, and its a very big IF. Just hope his injuries are behind him now.

Â