Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

To say he can't pass a ball is absolute nonsense. He's one of the best at the club.

did you watch any of his games last season? was outshone by Bannan who gets a lot of stick on here but has shown a lot more for 1st team

What, all those games he played last season when he was out injured for most of it? Sober up mate.

Delph started well (arguably our best player in the first few games, not that its saying much) but then had injury problems for the rest of the season. I like Bannan too for the record and dont give him stick. They're different players though. Bannan isn't going to get stuck in and you cant rely on him to break up play and protect the back four. Delph can do that and support an attack. They're both great passers and I'd like to keep both in the squad. But Delph offers more all round, no question.

The only thing holding Delph back is his injury record which, sadly, might become a terminal issue in regards to his career. At least at Villa.

He has the ability in my opinion. Easily.

Don't know what games your watching. Everytime I've seen him he's looked below par and way off the pace. He keeps losing possession.. and somehow Makoun gets more stick in 7 games.. yet Delph has had so many chances and failed to deliver. Only thing he has going is his age.

Ive never had a go at Makoun so I don't care.

And presumably you missed Delph's debut where he bossed the game against Fiorentina as a 19 year old and was our best midfielder in spells when breaking through. Then again under Houllier where he started the season well and again last season where he began the season in fine form. Each time he had a run of a few games before getting injured and then a few games during rehabilitation where he was clearly still injured.

So I dont know where you're getting "so many chances" from. He's had limited chances, due to injuries.

I have no problems with questions over his injury record which is hardly his fault. Few players recover fully from the type of injury he had.

But I have no doubts over his ability. And there is no way, no way at all, he has had enough time in the first team to show his true potential.

I just hope he gets that chance so he can shove it down his critic's throats.

I thought he looked really good against Chicago. Bossed the game and passed the ball well. One of the more impressive players in that game, along with Baker, KEA and Lichaj.

I thought he looked really good against Chicago. Bossed the game and passed the ball well. One of the more impressive players in that game, along with Baker, KEA and Lichaj.

So did I - was truly boggled to see him getting stick for his performance.

And presumably you missed Delph's debut where he bossed the game against Fiorentina as a 19 year old and was our best midfielder in spells when breaking through. Then again under Houllier where he started the season well and again last season where he began the season in fine form. Each time he had a run of a few games before getting injured and then a few games during rehabilitation where he was clearly still injured.

So I dont know where you're getting "so many chances" from. He's had limited chances, due to injuries.

I have no problems with questions over his injury record which is hardly his fault. Few players recover fully from the type of injury he had.

But I have no doubts over his ability. And there is no way, no way at all, he has had enough time in the first team to show his true potential.

No. I saw that game. But it was a friendly. I saw his first Premier League debut where he looked out of his depth.

I dont think he started well last season.. i thought he looked poor. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Would love to be proved wrong but i wont hold my breathe.

Though Fabs has been given an unfair rap, just as soon as he hits a bit of form.. start of the last two seasons, he has been injured and its has staggerd his preformances and appearances for us, Give him some time in the first team with players who can pass a ball around (Ireland, El Ahmadi) and I really think he will shine, he's got a cracking engine,is very athletic and has the ability to boss a game.

Give him time and he will come good in my opinion

Yeah, Lambert showing he can motivate. But I do think giving him the captaincy does at least hint that Lambert rates him to some degree too. Just stay fit Delphy. You could be ... (cliché alert) ... like a new signing this season.

It's true though, he could be like a new signing. He's only had cameos so far.

As he says himself, he has hardly had a month injury free in 3 years.

Which is it why it amazes me that anybody thinks he's had any sort of chance.

The player we bought was one of the brightest young prospects in the country. He was courted by some big clubs and chose us.

Having that player injury free for a season would not only be great for us but could save money better spent elsewhere.

@SikhInTrinity : You're right wrt him seeing him in League One. The season that led to us buying him (08/09) was the one where Lambert managed Colchester in that league, so he'd have seen first hand what the lad was at.

@Mazrim : Yeah I wasn't messing when I said like a new signing. On paper I think the kid potentially has it all. He can pass, tackle, score, dribble and run all day from box to box. In my view, if anything, he has so far lacked discipline; by which I mean in how he has applied his skills. This in my view is why he has been injured and suspended. He has been reckless. That can be to do with his age and inexperience. If they can quell that slightly, then he could be exactly what we've been missing. It is after all why we bought him.

Have to agree with mazrim. I think potentially we have a good player in delph. He has a lot of good attributes but injuries, morale and confidence seems to have effected them.

I would like to see both delph and gardner given a real chance under lambert this season.

I totally agree, Delph needs a run of games injury free under a manager who will allow him to play football as he is capable of playing it.

The positives will soon outweigh the negatives and we will have a really effective attacking CM for the next few seasons.

Delph, KEA, Gardner and Bannan all have the technical ability to play Lambert's preferred style of football. Give them time without criticising each misplaced pass and tackle, and they could do very well in the next couple of years.

Looks to have beefed up a bit as well. Absolutely vital if you ask me.

For the way he plays, yes vital. He couldn't keep going into tackles like a freight train weighing what he did and expect to go more than 2 or 3 games without damaging something.

Something we've lacked is a midfield player with the ability to bring the ball forward at pace.

I think Delph has the attributes to be this sort of player. I remember when he was playing in some cup games early on and just being incredibly impressed with his touch, his dribbling and range of passing.

I really think we could still have a top player with him in the squad.

Â