Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I've had my current phone well in excess of two years now. I too got a cover (and a screen protector), I've dropped it probably hundreds of times (yes I'm a clumsy get) and when the cover is off, it's immaculate, not a single repair. The cover is much better than insurance. You aren't phoneless whilst its being repaired under insurance because it didn't break in the first place and the cover is far cheaper than the insurance

That's fine if the phone case is perfect. As above, it doesn't always work.

if I had a phone that was 2 years old I wouldn't bother either but if you've got a new one and it's a couple of quid then it's probably worth it.

Also depending on the insurance, they can fix it while you wait. When my screen got smashed I handed it in, went and got a coffee and read the paper, came back 45 minutes later and it was done

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

IS it true that if your home is a leasehold, the holder of the lease is responsible for the buildings insurance (and the dweller for contents)?

Depends on the lease, it should specify who insures the buildings.  Can work both ways.  I only deal in commercial insurance but 90% of the time the owner insures the buildings.  Occupier will always be responsible for his own contents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2021 at 14:27, blandy said:

IS it true that if your home is a leasehold, the holder of the lease is responsible for the buildings insurance (and the dweller for contents)?

I know when housing associations are the leaseholder (well the one my Mrs works for anyway) Owners have to pay for building insurance through the housing association, which is included in their service charge. 

• Thanks 1

On 22/09/2021 at 13:04, bickster said:

Saved me a small fortune and gives me a much wider range of material

TIP: Subscribe direct with Readly and not through your APP store, you save money and they earn more

That's what I did. Direct with Readly. First month free.

Really impressed. Read about 6 magazines over the last couple of days. Had downloaded them to my device, which was ideal as I didn't have a wifi signal in the pub I was stopping in!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

That's what I did. Direct with Readly. First month free.

Really impressed. Read about 6 magazines over the last couple of days. Had downloaded them to my device, which was ideal as I didn't have a wifi signal in the pub I was stopping in!

Where did you go in the end?

On 22/09/2021 at 14:27, blandy said:

I live live in a leasehold flat. The landlord sorts and pays the insurance then bills the leaseholders their share. I've just paid mine- £221 for 12 months including terrorism cover. Thats gone up from about £95 when I moved in eight years ago, but I know less insurance companies will cover flats post grenfell. People in cladded high rises have seen their insurance increase 1000% over the last couple of years and in some cases, some blocks can't even get cover any more. Its a mess. 

Bit more info:

Residents of flats with cladding and other unsafe building materials are facing skyrocketing insurance bills, new Which? research reveals. Leaseholders from 16 apartment blocks are paying an average of over 500% more for buildings insurance than they were one year ago, adding thousands to their annual service charges. In one of the most extreme cases we’ve heard about, leaseholders living at The Decks, Runcorn, contacted Which? to say their premium had risen from £34,000 in 2019 to £254,000 in 2020 and £525,000 in 2021 – that’s a 1,448% increase in just two years.

Wicker Riverside in Sheffield wasn’t even fortunate enough to secure the privilege of paying through the nose for insurance. When its policy came up for renewal, it was unable to secure cover from any insurer. The lack of insurance means leaseholders will have to pay for any damage to the building themselves. Not just from possible fire, but from other risks like flooding. It is also likely to make switching mortgage difficult. We spoke to Jenni, a leaseholder from the building, just after a flood warning had been announced for South Yorkshire. She was worried the building, which backs onto the River Don, would be damaged, and leaseholders would be billed for the repairs. ‘People think leaseholders in this situation are being overdramatic. But I cry every day about this situation and my friends would describe me as a strong person,’ Jenni said. ‘It’s just too much for people to be able to handle.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/01/cladding-scandal-insurance-premiums/

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Where did you go in the end?

Didn't go too far in the end - place called Inkberrow, in Worcestershire. Nice place. Gave me a chance to scope out the area as i do like the general area. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I live live in a leasehold flat. The landlord sorts and pays the insurance then bills the leaseholders their share. I've just paid mine- £221 for 12 months including terrorism cover. Thats gone up from about £95 when I moved in eight years ago, but I know less insurance companies will cover flats post grenfell. People in cladded high rises have seen their insurance increase 1000% over the last couple of years and in some cases, some blocks can't even get cover any more. Its a mess. 

Bit more info:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/01/cladding-scandal-insurance-premiums/

Are you renting or do you "own"?

When I lived in my old leasehold flat, we had some weird company set up between the 3 flats in the building (converted house) that dealt with paying buildings insurance amongst others things.  Some properly great debates on who paid for, for example, roof repairs and gutter clearing etc :D  Contents insurance obviously just sorted by you, individually.

The freeholder did absolutely nothing at all ever.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 11:32, bobzy said:

Are you renting or do you "own"?

When I lived in my old leasehold flat, we had some weird company set up between the 3 flats in the building (converted house) that dealt with paying buildings insurance amongst others things.  Some properly great debates on who paid for, for example, roof repairs and gutter clearing etc :D  Contents insurance obviously just sorted by you, individually.

The freeholder did absolutely nothing at all ever.

I own. The problem with ours, is that its a fairly big complex. I think about 64 flats in the development. Over 50% are buy-to-lets at a guess, so getting a residents run management company would be difficult. Theres always something going on here -work being done, security doors being upgraded, new gates being fitted (Ross McCormack eat your heart out!). 

The situation you describe can work well in a small block of 3 or 6 flats. Pretty sure the last place I lived (rented), the leaseholders also owned the share of the freeholding as well 

On 22/09/2021 at 14:32, Stevo985 said:

Yeah a guy I used to work with, his son went to Thailand and fell off a moped and **** his leg up. It was serious but not like massively serious. Anyway between medical bills, flying out to be with him and flying them all back, he spent about 28 grand. All because he didn't have insurance. mental

Somewhat suspect a lot of insurance policies wouldn't have covered riding a moped in Thailand anyway? I mean, I don't know the guy obviously, but living in Hanoi most westerners drove mopeds without vehicle insurance, having a licence to ride a moped in the UK, an International Driving Permit, or often even a helmet, any or all of which might invalidate his claim depending on his situation. In the rare but real cases when westerners were hurt while riding mopeds, they were mostly just **** financially in my experience.

The wife and I started riding a moped, had three or four low-speed accidents in about a week, realised we weren't very good at it and just rode bicycles the rest of the time, which I think was on the whole an excellent decision, though definitely limited mobility outside the city.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My missus has got in to this social media guff where you like and share posts to be in win a chance to win little things, bars of chocolate, pack of nappies, a baby milk bottle etc

Today it was 10 bags of haribo 

99% of them are scams too. Harvesting personal information.

My wife's aunty used to enter those compatitions they used to run in the olden days where you would write a slogan and win a proper prize.  She entered hundreds but won some decent stuff, a car, a holiday etc. 

But yeah, these days it seems getting your personal information is more important. 

10 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Got the keys to our new house today! Exciting/scary times

What have you bought.  112 Ocean Avenue? Somewhere in Cuesta Verde? 

Edited by sidcow

Â