Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

spacer.png

Boom! Unexpected find, turned a corner (in the car), and there it was in front of me, a 12th century church that had been very active at just the right time, mid 1700’s the village had the money for some very gothic stones.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Sarah Everard's murderer gets whole-life sentence.

Hope he enjoys himself as an ex plod in there for the next half century the absolute word removed.

Yeah, he has rather got multiple targets on his back hasn't he.  Should have plenty of opportunity to reflect on what he's done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

More boiler news.

It's packed up again. "Ignition lock". No heating, no hot water.

Did a reset. No joy.

Find manual. Follow diagnostic flow chart. "Does the boiler ignite for a short term after reset?  - No. "Is gas pressure available >18mbar"  - I don't have the kit to test, but the gas fire works, so lets assume yes. "Is 215V available at gas valve". Find multi-meter - No. "Check wiring continuity from valve to PCB". Ok,  set multimeter to "resistance", check needle. Feck! battery's flat.

Open multimeter to change battery. Corroded to feck. Damn. Dismantle multi-meter, remove gacky battery, clean out acidy muck. clean terminals, find new battery, re-assemble. Find circuit board layout in manual. Check boiler wiring continuity like the manual says. All good. Manual says "if wiring is OK then replace pcb"

Do internet search for pcb. 160 quid for a new one.!  strewth. Look on ebay instead. 36 - 39 quid for a refurbed one. Can I trust them? Find a place that's sold plenty and has positive reviews. Order one for delivery tomorrow. I hope it's not low gas mains pressure caused the fault and fingers crossed the pcb turns up and works.

Cool.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Sarah Everard's murderer gets whole-life sentence.

Hope he enjoys himself as an ex plod in there for the next half century the absolute word removed.

I know the answer is “nothing” but it always makes you think “what goes through his head?” with cases like this, all the planning and preparation and he doesn’t consider the consequences. You really think you’re not going to get caught? You really think one night of fulfilling this sick fantasy is worth what’s coming for the rest of your life?

I agree with what everyone’s said about capital punishment and so on, but if he takes matters into his own hands?

🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It isn't, though. People who do shit like this aren't doing a cost-benefit analysis in their heads first.

Fair.

I wrongly feel that we should go back to the dark ages sometimes when I hear of something like this, the monster should no longer be aloud to breathe, life means a life, she doesn't have one.

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Fair.

I wrongly feel that we should go back to the dark ages sometimes when I hear of something like this, the monster should no longer be aloud to breathe, life means a life, she doesn't have one.

I definitely understand the emotion. I have a hard time being calm about it as well, and my wife has been pretty upset by reading about it and I know it's affected her.

The thing that motivates criminals, primarily, is that they don't think they're going to get caught. That might seem ridiculous, and the fact this guy was in fact caught quite easily and very quickly before he probably did it again would suggest it was a ridiculous thing to think, but in his head he will have thought he was going to get away with it. We can see that clearly in fact, by comparing the effort he went to in preparation to commit the act (hiring a car in another town, buying hair bands to tie her up, etc) with the fact that he clearly hadn't thought of even a basic alibi or cover story and ended up first denying it and then blurting some obvious nonsense about a gang of Romanian criminals who were threatening his family, but who contacted him through mysterious ways he couldn't evidence or explain. The only possible conclusion is that he didn't think he would have to wriggle out of it, because he didn't think he was going to get caught.

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I definitely understand the emotion. I have a hard time being calm about it as well, and my wife has been pretty upset by reading about it and I know it's affected her.

The thing that motivates criminals, primarily, is that they don't think they're going to get caught. That might seem ridiculous, and the fact this guy was in fact caught quite easily and very quickly before he probably did it again would suggest it was a ridiculous thing to think, but in his head he will have thought he was going to get away with it. We can see that clearly in fact, by comparing the effort he went to in preparation to commit the act (hiring a car in another town, buying hair bands to tie her up, etc) with the fact that he clearly hadn't thought of even a basic alibi or cover story and ended up first denying it and then blurting some obvious nonsense about a gang of Romanian criminals who were threatening his family, but who contacted him through mysterious ways he couldn't evidence or explain. The only possible conclusion is that he didn't think he would have to wriggle out of it, because he didn't think he was going to get caught.

That's the big problem and I agree, if a person is motivated to do it based solely on there being no repercussions then the fear of being cut in to pieces is no deterrent at all.

Definitely the wrong thread Mr Hanoi to continue this but if the data shows that you will die a horrible death if you do get caught then it might deter enough baddies to save enough lives that it's worthwhile. It's a worthless discussion in all honesty because the stats would probably show that I am absolutely wrong in to think this is the answer and as you say, like any normal human, emotions are high.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

That's the big problem and I agree, if a person is motivated to do it based solely on there being no repercussions then the fear of being cut in to pieces is no deterrent at all.

Definitely the wrong thread Mr Hanoi to continue this but if the data shows that you will die a horrible death if you do get caught then it might deter enough baddies to save enough lives that it's worthwhile. It's a worthless discussion in all honesty because the stats would probably show that I am absolutely wrong in to think this is the answer and as you say, like any normal human, emotions are high.

It's an interesting subject, but you're definitely right that it's the wrong thread for it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Famously the United States, with its long history of cooking with electricity, hanging, shooting, and botched injections to kill inmates no longer has violent crime.

Yeah, it's pretty self evident that if you're going to murder someone many don't think of the consequences BUT do we know if there are thousands of people in the USA who have been put off trying it because of the consequences? There might be loads of divorced people alive right now because their partner thought twice about bumping them off instead. Who knows. 

33 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Mrs Lifeboats just asked me why I was looking at sextoys on my tablet. 

It was actually a car vacuum. 

I was going to say, you don't want to stick your nob in a vacuum as it sucks. Then again... 

• Haha 2

Â