Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Listening to the rain beat down on my roof with a nice cup of coffee and some Mozart on the radio while editing some lesson plans. Simple things yet always cheer me up and help me get focused on the day ahead.

• Like 1

Spending a rare week in brum dog-sitting while my sister and family were off sunning themselves was a chore but I was greatly cheered with the number of villa shirts I saw out and about. What a difference a few years makes. 

Edited by choffer
  • Like 2

British Gas have had some bad rep on here lately but I've just been pleasantly surprised by them.

Due to my own inability to keep my personal finances in order I realised that I've been paying for their homecare service (boiler insurance basically) for 2 years after i sold the property that I needed it for.

So I phoned them up to cancel it and as for a refund for the months I've paid and haven't used it.

I expected a fight to be honest. I assumed they'd say it was my fault I didn't cancel it (I think i did but I have no proof) and assumed I MIGHT be able to get a refund of say half as a goodwill gesture but even that might be pushing it.

They've refunded me the lot. £955. Pretty much zero questions asked. Just checked that I hadn't actually used the service so I wasn't pulling a fast one and said it'll go through in 7 days.

Pleasantly surprised!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

(I think i did but I have no proof

I expect that they'd be on to a loser, because someone else will have taken over the house and be paying for energy, so the evidence will be there that your account for that address ended 2 years ago. But still, nice for it to be so simple.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

British Gas have had some bad rep on here lately but I've just been pleasantly surprised by them.

Due to my own inability to keep my personal finances in order I realised that I've been paying for their homecare service (boiler insurance basically) for 2 years after i sold the property that I needed it for.

So I phoned them up to cancel it and as for a refund for the months I've paid and haven't used it.

I expected a fight to be honest. I assumed they'd say it was my fault I didn't cancel it (I think i did but I have no proof) and assumed I MIGHT be able to get a refund of say half as a goodwill gesture but even that might be pushing it.

They've refunded me the lot. £955. Pretty much zero questions asked. Just checked that I hadn't actually used the service so I wasn't pulling a fast one and said it'll go through in 7 days.

Pleasantly surprised!

Good to get that back. £955 sounds a lot for 2 years cover though. Could get a brand new boiler for that much. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Good to get that back. £955 sounds a lot for 2 years cover though. Could get a brand new boiler for that much. 

Not far off, I'm having one in two weeks, £1100 with all the associated bits.

And I'm currently in a queue to cancel my British Gas homecare boiler cover as

a) new boiler has a parts and labour warranty for 7 years and

b) I've found out BG have been servicing the boiler for years in our new place but not checking the flue as it's inaccessible. And saying they have.

Edited by rjw63

14 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not far off, I'm having one in two weeks, £1100 with all the associated bits.

And I'm currently in a queue to cancel my British Gas homecare boiler cover as

a) new boiler has a parts and labour warranty for 7 years and

b) I've found out BG have been servicing the boiler for years in our new place but not checking the flue as it's inaccessible. And saying they have.

Don't think I've ever got the homecare option. Just pay for an annual service. Not overly keen on those at £60-70 a go just to say 'yeah, it's only 12 months old so it's fine'. 

Edited by Rds1983

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Don't think I've ever got the homecate option. Just pay for an annual service. Not overly keen on those at £60-70 a go just to say 'yeah, it's only 12 months old so it's fine'. 

The one in my property is 19 years old and the Homecare was only £16.50 per month. But I don't need it now.

Maybe i'm being blasé but never bothered with boiler cover or mobile phone cover. I'd have spent more in cover than the cost of a new one many times over. 

I do have car breakdown cover though, although I get it through work for £3 a month and its through a corporate provider so not available to the general public. As a result the waiting time is about 30 mins max. I've used it twice in 10 years.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

Â