Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I just discovered, in this brilliant article that the local Arabic dialect name for the Syrian hamster (the species you may have owned as a pet) translates as "Mr Saddlebags".

Also, this rodent factoid suddenly triggered a long suppressed memory of the Richard Gere gerbilling story which was a staple of playground gossip back in the early 90s. This cheered me right up too, as the Wikipedia gerbilling page is a brilliantly dry summary of one of the all-time great urban legends:

Mike Walker, a National Enquirer gossip columnist, spent months attempting to verify the gerbilling rumors about a celebrity. "I've never worked harder on a story in my life," Walker told the Palm Beach Post in 1995.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I just discovered, in this brilliant article that the local Arabic dialect name for the Syrian hamster (the species you may have owned as a pet) translates as "Mr Saddlebags".

Also, this rodent factoid suddenly triggered a long suppressed memory of the Richard Gere gerbilling story which was a staple of playground gossip back in the early 90s. This cheered me right up too, as the Wikipedia gerbilling page is a brilliantly dry summary of one of the all-time great urban legends:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

You gonna get away for a bit?

Yeah, i'm going to try and get away for a few days. Maybe the Cotswolds. 

Nothing abroad this year. 

• Like 1

Just come out of a Loooong meeting and had a eureka moment which completely changed the direction the company was heading at the start of the meeting.

If meetings could be won, this was a 5-0 victory

Bit of a high right now!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Two years ago I embarked on a university degree with 5 women whom I did not know.

Two years on I have five friends for life, all beautiful people who have helped me grow as a man.

And now that they have completed their degrees, full confidence that they will advocate justly for youth at risk.

Â