Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness consistency has been a problem with him (and the team)

If he can build on this and perform the same against Everton and Watford (providing he plays) it could be a start.

Always fear there is a mistake in him but if the midfield is setup as it is today perhaps it minimises the risk/pressure on the defence.

I think you are struggling when your best contributions are last ditch tackles.

He did well today but I still have the overriding feeling that he is weak and lacks concentration. Unfortunately Lescott is diabolical, and Okore is often injured so our options are limited.

I would prioritise a CB and striker in January and keep him around as backup.

Ciaran, I've defended you here for a long time now. Believing that you'd get it all together one day. But enough is enough. That was such a sorry display of defending today, again. Please begone.

Ahem...

The key to being a good  player at this level is consistency. They can all do it once in a blue moon, the good players do it week in week out.

Clark has proved nothing today,he has put in a performance similar before. It doesn't matter if you play like a pub player 9 times out of 10,

• Like 1

He did well today but I still have the overriding feeling that he is weak and lacks concentration. Unfortunately Lescott is diabolical, and Okore is often injured so our options are limited.

There are currently 7 senior CBs at Villa. 4 of these were bought in the summer. Add to that the two out on loan. That makes it 9 in total. One more and Villa can field a team of CBs in January and Guzan in goal.

Richards, Lescott, Ilori, Crespo.

Clark, Okore, Senderos

Baker, Donacien

Edited by momo
  • Like 1

Last ditch tackles stopping clear goal-scoring opportunities being sniffed at? No comprende! Guaranteed if it was Lescott in his place we would have leaked a couple.

There are currently 7 senior CBs at Villa. 4 of these were bought in the summer. Add to that the two out on loan. That makes it 9 in total. One more and Villa can field a team of CBs in January and Guzan in goal.

Clark, Okore, Senderos

Baker, Donacien

You are Alex McLeish and I claim my £5.00.

• Like 1

Clark, Okore, Senderos

Baker, Donacien

Haha. No. I find it comical just how many CBs this club have. It is even more comical that it is not given that three of those new CBs are as good as or better than what Villa currently have, like Clark. And we know Sanchez has played CB as well in pre season and in a cup game.

Clark, Okore, Senderos

Baker, Donacien

Haha. No. I find it comical just how many CBs this club have. It is even more comical that it is not given that three of those new CBs are as good as or better than what Villa currently have, like Clark. And we know Sanchez has played CB as well in pre season and in a cup game.

Senderboss is not in the 25 and with 2 on loan (neither of whom are good enough IMO) in reality we have 6.

As you then rightly say one of whom we've never seen play, another has clearly lost his legs, a third is probably the most naturally gifted of the lot but crazy injury prone and the other is more of a utility player, or suited to a back 3.

So we are left with 2. It's a glaring need IMO, though I've not given up on Okore and I'd be interested to see what we have in Ilori before we go and spend big.

• Like 1

With a competent manager who was also a defender, Clark should start to play with much more consistency. Last week's debacle was largely due to the fact that the entire defense was out of position. Why the CB was defending way out on the wing like that with no other defenders even near him was shocking.

Fair to say that will never happen again with Garde here.

The last ditch challenge he put in the box today was top draw, I think his only real replacement is Okore when fit, I certainly think there are better ways to be spending money in Jan

Okore is a right sided player, putting him on the left would be a gamble.

CC is good enough, personally I would prefer to use Richards at RB with Okore partnering Clark. 

• Like 1

Funny how well he plays when you put him on his favourite side. Was my MOTM today and, imo, the main reason Sterling struggled and was replaced.

Wasn't he on that side against Sunderland?

He was. Despite that shocker, he's more comfortable on that side and plays better there.

Never looked settled at all when played on the right on his last outing.

With a competent manager who was also a defender, Clark should start to play with much more consistency. Last week's debacle was largely due to the fact that the entire defense was out of position. Why the CB was defending way out on the wing like that with no other defenders even near him was shocking.

Fair to say that will never happen again with Garde here.

Garde wasn't a CB.

Funny how well he plays when you put him on his favourite side. Was my MOTM today and, imo, the main reason Sterling struggled and was replaced.

He was. Despite that shocker, he's more comfortable on that side and plays better there.

And against Palace if I recall.

And against Palace if I recall.

Richards has made some howlers this season as has Lescott and Avamai.  Given Clarks performances last season, which alot of people seem to forget may i add, i have a tenancy to sway towards the inept tactics and players out of position that Sherwood employed in front of them is mostly to blame.  I'll go out on a limn here and predict that we will see allot more clean sheets now with a lot fewer individual errors if Garde keeps the midfield he started with yesterday!

• Like 1

I think he needs to play every week; he is certainly good enough, as he showed last season, when he played regularly - he seems to struggle when he's not played for a while.

I doubt he'll ever be 'very good', but Man Utd won a lot of trophies with the likes of Wes Brown and John O'Shea in defence! He's good enough in my opinion. We have bigger problems.

Â