Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He really struggles to read the game imo, so many times today he tried to intercept or cut out the ball, couldn't do it and Everton just got in behind us and scored, happened for 1st and 2nd goals.

He does have good spells of form but he's never going to be a great centre half, not strong enough in physical battles, not amazing in the air, struggles to read the game, can be flat footed on occasions.

Just a very average player, similar to Ridgewell in a way but we're so much poorer nowadays he just looks like a normal relegation battling defender.

And why oh why have we persevered with a player that is clearly not of the calibre....it's just complacency run riot, by management that are caught in the headlights.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played well with Okore for the most part last season which got him the new deal

On a general them though centre half does seem a position where a lot of average players suddenly mature later on in their careers. Yes you have exceptional young ones like John Stones (I get the hype now) but there's also ones who look mediocre like Smalling who  suddenly hit 25 and start to look really good. Dawson at Spurs is another one who I thought looked woeful for years and then hit a great couple of seasons.

I'm not saying Clark is ever going to be amazing. In fact he is at that age now when he should be producing good start week in week out, Just don't think he'd very good in most aspects, pace, heading, marking, strength. All faults which have cost us goals this season, Dann out jumping him for Palace goal, lens outpacing him for Sunderland goal,Dembele out muscling him for the Spurs goal.

He's probably cost us as many goals as Lescott.

• Like 2

On 22/11/2015, 8:56:43, VillaChris said:

He really struggles to read the game imo, so many times today he tried to intercept or cut out the ball, couldn't do it and Everton just got in behind us and scored, happened for 1st and 2nd goals.

He does have good spells of form but he's never going to be a great centre half, not strong enough in physical battles, not amazing in the air, struggles to read the game, can be flat footed on occasions.

Just a very average player, similar to Ridgewell in a way but we're so much poorer nowadays he just looks like a normal relegation battling defender.

We obviously see the 1st goal differently.

Clark tracked his man (Lukaku) and did not commit himself. A nice touch from Lukaku found Delofeloulololo moving into the space, not well anticipated by Richardson. Clark kept to his man throughout the ensuing play, the ball being parried off Guzan's hands into unmarked Everton midfield players.

Not sure how Clarke is to blame for that.

I can't even remember the second. I stopped watching out of disgust/frustration/depression as soon as the net bulged and I have no intention of watching it again.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

People can rant and rave about Richardson all they like.

This guy is the weak link in the defence.

yep, I thought Richardson would be the issue (and he still is to some extent) but Clark was absolutely horrendous today. Not only is he not good enough but he's a liability.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

People can rant and rave about Richardson all they like.

This guy is the weak link in the defence.

I don't think there is a single weak link because they are all shite to varying degrees, it just happens to be the case that Clark is the shittest of the lot. 

Worst Villa defender i've ever seen he's not going to get better either

Just **** shite when we got rid of Baker i thought we got rid of the shitter chucklebrother

I was obviously wrong

Edited by AshVilla

Â