The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Maybe if he's totally Villa nuts, he might agree 1 year just to keep the Vultures away next season. But he's got to go next season if we don't get promoted for the good of his career. Any normal player of his promise and ability would be screaming for a transfer. 

Thank god our only really really gifted player bleeds Claret and Blue. 

I know Jack is coming of age now and is ready for the challenges of the Premier League, as well as having done his time in the Championship and proving he is a cut above.

I am aware that I have my claret and blue shades on when I approach this discussion, however I still think the following is true.

Jack will not regress like some claim by spending another season in the Championship, I would argue that the leadership role he has at Villa combined with the fact it's his club will serve up challenges for him to improve and he will have the motivation to rise up and meet them head on.

Then you consider his position at Spurs or Liverpool. Both would be a considerable upgrade no doubt. The chance to work with Pochettino or Klopp alone should be considered, not to mention the pay rise and quality of competition within the squad.

Does he get enough of a crack at the starting XI to really make a home for himself though? Is he afforded the confidence that Kane was? When you look at Spurs midfield, it's not guaranteed immediately, neither at Liverpool. Eriksen, Alli, Son, Moura, Lamela are going to be hard to displace at Spurs and as for a deeper role, equally Dier, Dembele, Wanyama, Sissoko, Winks will be too. They have one of the best midfields in the country, not to mention the youngest. Will Klopp drop one of Salah, Mane or Firminho to accomodate Jack into his XI? Not a chance at this point in time. Perhaps a deeper role will be afforded him alongside Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana or Ox.

It's the next step to see if he can cut it at the top, and it is a big step. Chance of a lifetime, as both clubs will see his potential, whether it works out for the best is something entirely different.

If I may share my own experience to highlight why I don't think Grealish remaining at Villa for another season in the Championship will be a step backwards for him, rather an opportunity to hone a different set of skills, build confidence and momentum, enjoy a leadership role within a team and gain the all important match experience.

I play basketball.

At age 11 I attended tryouts that would select the best players from the state to compete in the best competition in the country. 25 minutes in to a 40 minute selection scrimmage I was told to sit out of the game. Little did I know I was the first person selected and only player who did not complete the 40 minute evaluation. As my family could not afford to send me around the country to play the tournament, I never went, and it was only after the event that my school informed me they would have sponsored me had we come to them. The point is though I was a top prospect in the country.

At age 13 I signed up with my first professional club. When I walked in to the gym for my initial trial and greeted the coach for the first time, I was told, you have two training sessions and I doubt you will make the cut for any of our teams, he was the head coach for the junior levels at the club. I impressed and was selected to play with the Under 16's first team instead of my own age group due to this head coach wanting to put me in one of the teams he coached directly. We would play in the states second highest division. I spent very little time on court in that first season, sometimes a 30 second stint was the best on offer.

How's all this relevant to Jack? I'm getting there.

I learnt a lot about different systems involved in team tactics and training routines that were advanced for my age but had little to no opportunity to implement them in a game environment and develop my game where it counts, in a competitive fixture. The tactics I spent hours learning gave me a greater understanding for the team game but were also redundant in that they were unique to this coach and team, something I was a bit part player in. The training drills no doubt allowed my skill set to improve but I can only look back and think it was a mistake to have me in that team without any opportunity to play and develop with others my own age, in an environment where I probably didn't quite cut it. By this point I was no longer being selected to play at the national level and never would be again.

And this is what I wonder about for Jack moving to Liverpool or Tottenham. There's no doubt he's a prospect who can enjoy a career at the top level. That said, he's not going to walk in to either starting XI. It's not guaranteed that he ever will. His opportunity for minutes will come here and there, and if he works hard in a season or two should challenge the starting XI, but it's not going to come immediately. 

Without having watched a lot of fixtures outside our own, I'm going to make the assumption that Jack was the best player in the Championship last season, I could be wrong on that, in any case, it's a level he is proven at, and that will provide a platform for him to develop his game should he decide to spend another season there. I think he can cut it at the top level now, but another season in the Championship would only solidify skills further in preparation for his inevitable return to the top division.

Moving up a division is a huge step up in skill and competition. I took a 5 year break from basketball entirely, when I returned I was pretty average. I started putting in the work again and I currently play in the 3rd tier of Australian basketball. I have had to improve exponentially for each jump in division. To give some perspective, I play in the same division as players who are given tryouts with NBA teams who've obviously not made it for one reason or another. So I think I have an idea of the standards and challenges that Jack faces making that step up.

Writing about some of my own experience with team sport has solidified how good I think Jack is going to be. He's been involved in junior international squads and from a club perspective has basically matched the efforts of David Silva and Phillipe Coutinho in regards to first team performances for his age. They perhaps were playing for better teams but Silva didn't make it to the Premier League until 25, Jack was 18. Silva was playing in the Spanish 2nd division at 19. The significant difference between them is both Coutinho and Silva were bought for the starting XI. Something I would be slightly surprised to see in Jack's case.

You just simply have to look at the football he plays though and if he can take that to the next level then he is right among them. Should he keep putting in the work on his game and fitness he can be an absolute pearl.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I know Jack is coming of age now and is ready for the challenges of the Premier League, as well as having done his time in the Championship and proving he is a cut above.

I am aware that I have my claret and blue shades on when I approach this discussion, however I still think the following is true.

Jack will not regress like some claim by spending another season in the Championship, I would argue that the leadership role he has at Villa combined with the fact it's his club will serve up challenges for him to improve and he will have the motivation to rise up and meet them head on.

Then you consider his position at Spurs or Liverpool. Both would be a considerable upgrade no doubt. The chance to work with Pochettino or Klopp alone should be considered, not to mention the pay rise and quality of competition within the squad.

Does he get enough of a crack at the starting XI to really make a home for himself though? Is he afforded the confidence that Kane was? When you look at Spurs midfield, it's not guaranteed immediately, neither at Liverpool. Eriksen, Alli, Son, Moura, Lamela are going to be hard to displace at Spurs and as for a deeper role, equally Dier, Dembele, Wanyama, Sissoko, Winks will be too. They have one of the best midfields in the country, not to mention the youngest. Will Klopp drop one of Salah, Mane or Firminho to accomodate Jack into his XI? Not a chance at this point in time. Perhaps a deeper role will be afforded him alongside Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana or Ox.

It's the next step to see if he can cut it at the top, and it is a big step. Chance of a lifetime, as both clubs will see his potential, whether it works out for the best is something entirely different.

If I may share my own experience to highlight why I don't think Grealish remaining at Villa for another season in the Championship will be a step backwards for him, rather an opportunity to hone a different set of skills, build confidence and momentum, enjoy a leadership role within a team and gain the all important match experience.

I play basketball.

At age 11 I attended tryouts that would select the best players from the state to compete in the best competition in the country. 25 minutes in to a 40 minute selection scrimmage I was told to sit out of the game. Little did I know I was the first person selected and only player who did not complete the 40 minute evaluation. As my family could not afford to send me around the country to play the tournament, I never went, and it was only after the event that my school informed me they would have sponsored me had we come to them. The point is though I was a top prospect in the country.

At age 13 I signed up with my first professional club. When I walked in to the gym for my initial trial and greeted the coach for the first time, I was told, you have two training sessions and I doubt you will make the cut for any of our teams, he was the head coach for the junior levels at the club. I impressed and was selected to play with the Under 16's first team instead of my own age group due to this head coach wanting to put me in one of the teams he coached directly. We would play in the states second highest division. I spent very little time on court in that first season, sometimes a 30 second stint was the best on offer.

I learnt a lot about different systems involved in team tactics and training routines that were advanced for my age but had little to no opportunity to implement them in a game environment and develop my game where it counts, in a competitive fixture. The tactics I spent hours learning gave me a greater understanding for the team game but were also redundant in that they were unique to this coach and team, something I was a bit part player in. The training drills no doubt allowed my skill set to improve but I can only look back and think it was a mistake to have me in that team without any opportunity to play and develop with others my own age, in an environment where I probably didn't quite cut it. By this point I was no longer being selected to play at the national level and never would be again.

And this is what I wonder about for Jack moving to Liverpool or Tottenham. There's no doubt he's a prospect who can enjoy a career at the top level. That said, he's not going to walk in to either starting XI. It's not guaranteed that he ever will. His opportunity for minutes will come here and there, and if he works hard in a season or two should challenge the starting XI, but it's not going to come immediately. 

Without having watched a lot of fixtures outside our own, I'm going to make the assumption that Jack was the best player in the Championship last season, I could be wrong on that, in any case, it's a level he is proven at, and that will provide a platform for him to develop his game should he decide to spend another season there. I think he can cut it at the top level now, but another season in the Championship would only solidify skills further in preparation for his inevitable return to the top division.

Moving up a division is a huge step up in skill and competition. I took a 5 year break from basketball entirely, when I returned I was pretty average. I started putting in the work again and I currently play in the 3rd tier of Australian basketball. I have had to improve exponentially for each jump in division. To give some perspective, I play in the same division as players who are given tryouts with NBA teams who've obviously not made it for one reason or another. So I think I have an idea of the standards and challenges that Jack faces making that step up.

Writing about some of my own experience with team sport has solidified how good I think Jack is going to be. He's been involved in junior international squads and from a club perspective has basically matched the efforts of David Silva and Phillipe Coutinho in regards to first team performances for his age. They perhaps were playing for better teams but Silva didn't make it to the Premier League until 25, Jack was 18. Silva was playing in the Spanish 2nd division at 19. The significant difference between them is both Coutinho and Silva were bought for the starting XI. Something I would be slightly surprised to see in Jack's case.

You just simply have to look at the football he plays though and if he can take that to the next level then he is right among them. Should he keep putting in the work on his game and fitness he can be an absolute pearl.

I don't think staying here is a step back @A'Villan but if he does move I agree it's not best to go to Liverpool or Spurs.

It's an unfortunate sign of how far we've fallen that it will be a mid table team, a club we would ordinarily have considered to be a smaller club than us, but who unfortunately now have resources far greater than ours. This will be his proving ground before worldwide dominance beckons for him. 

• Like 2

Given Leicester's late move for Maddison, I wouldn't be surprised if Southampton now made a similar £25m move for Grealish. I also wouldn't be surprised if we sold him for that either, and personally I think it would be a good move for him. Far better than Liverpool or Spurs, which others have already mentioned on here.

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I play basketball.

Interesting...you play basket ball....?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rosenthal said:

If he goes Spurs, he'll get England caps in the fall.

Agreed but he might also run the risk of sitting on a bench more often than he would like. 

Edited by John

I don't think anyone will match our valuation, he's a season away from that sort of money and he won't go straight into any top 6's first 11. It was said early on by a journo or two that Tony will sell him as a last resort to meet FFP - which means if he is sold it will be at the absolute last minute of the window. Sadly if the money is needed then at that point someone will get a bargain.   

I believe that spurs are trying to snap him up for 15m. But id be suprised if the likes of Liverpool or Spurs took the risk of spending 30-40m on a player that may not even get straight in to the team. 

Could see a mid table team trying their look with a 20M bid. I think his a top player with bags of potential just not as good as Villa fans like to believe. I’d be amazed if 30-40m was spent on potential. 

Any other examples of that kind of money spent on player that have only really proven themselves in the championship?  I suppose big money get spents on players from places like  Brazil when they have only proven themselves in a league that is weaker than the championship. But maybe clubs come under a lot less scrutiny because they are Brazilian and watched by top team scouts from around the world wheras Grealish maybe isn’t.

Spurs IMO don't actually want him - they just think they might be able to get him cheap - if he thrives they have a bargain - if he doesn't make the first 11 they will recoup £15m. Grealish will realise he isn't going to get much game time so can't imagine spurs would be his first choice.

Liverpool - I think would be an even worse move for him. I feel liverpool have peaked under Klopp, and they will be looking to pin that one someone as they did with Collymore, Dean Saunders and Benteke. Should VAR ever be introduced in the prem I feel this will hit liverpool harder than any other club. Massive outlay on players (£75m for a CB) but still only finished 4th - where do they go from here .....????

I wonder if Everton might be tempted - they have the money, the fans want a change of style , hence the da silvia appointment - he would get game time - no links so far though 

17 hours ago, rosenthal said:

If he goes Spurs, he'll get England caps in the fall.

But he ain't.  ;)

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Expect him to be sold eventually for 20m plus add Ons. It’s inevitable.

Not a chance pal.

10 hours ago, thabucks said:

£26mill plus add on’s and Ryan Kent from Bin dippers be aceptable.... ? 

Absolutely not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â