The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

20 hours ago, BOF said:

It's a thread about him.  It's had enough comment about his performances off the pitch already wouldn't you say?  It seems positive off pitch performances get met with immediate resistance.  Funny that.

Including the sarcastic comment about it not sparking 10 pages of debate about his attitude? 

He's great in the community sure. Delighted. You can be several things at once.

He's certainly at a crossroads in his career now. The Liverpool cup semi final was pretty much two years ago, hopefully he won't spend the rest of his career living off that game.

I said at the start of the season he was capable of being PFA team of the year standard this season, as influential as the likes of Shelvey and Matt Ritchie or Knockeart have been for their respective teams.

He's been miles off that standard. Decent at the start of the season then had his off the field issues again, Bruce came in and gave him starts but he still flatters to deceive away from home for impact.

I'd still keep him but whether he'll ever become as good as he was threatening to be in the run in of 14/15 is very much open to debate I'd say.

46 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You know he was a prat again a week or so ago, turning up late for an England U21 squad meeting and thus losing his starting place in the team?

He made such a big fuss over picking which country he was going to play for, then he can't get his arse in gear when the chance comes to impress. 

It's really disappointing. He's consistently disappointing.

I agree, I don't think it should be seen as bagging him or anything, factually he is a disappointment to himself, his club, and country. He is not getting the most out of himself and serving those who pay him poorly. 

He could go on to be the greatest player that ever lived, but that won't change the fact that right now he is just plainly and simply disappointing as a football player. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You know he was a prat again a week or so ago, turning up late for an England U21 squad meeting and thus losing his starting place in the team?

Yes I do know. I don’t know the circumstances behind that though and whether he would have a good reason for rocking up late or not.

Maybe I am being too soft on him. I just see a young lad who came in to the side regularly a couple of years ago. He initially made a positive impact and I think he was almost certainly overhyped and that hype went to his head. What he could have done with was a strong manager and some good senior influences to quickly reign him back in. What he got was 4 managers in 8 months and senior figures such as Gabby, Richards and Lescott.

Whilst I accept that even at 19/20 he has a responsibility to himself, and the club, the club had done nothing to aid his development for much of his time in the first team squad. Quite the opposite.

As others have said  he is now approaching a bit of a crossroads. Hopefully he does have some stability around him at the club now. Bruce is a strong manager, in Jedinak, Chester, Elphick etc he has some good senior influences and leaders around him. In addition for the first time ever for him he is now part of a squad and club that is actually striving to progress. It is now very much up to him to embrace all that and knuckle down and show us consistently the kind of performances we all know his ability can produce.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are there reports about this? I must've missed it. What were the circumstances around it?

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are there reports about this? I must've missed it. What were the circumstances around it?

51 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

there was a bit of column inches over it, i think the manager planned to make 11 changes between the 2 games but jack turned up late for a team meeting so didnt get picked, he came on after 38 minutes or something like that due to an injury and got an assist, i havent seen any reason / excuse as to why he was late

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He made such a big fuss over picking which country he was going to play for, then he can't get his arse in gear when the chance comes to impress. 

It's really disappointing. He's consistently disappointing.

And the most disappointing aspect is that he does have the talent.

His performance in the semi-final against Liverpool was outstanding and he's done outstanding things in sporadic patches since.

It's beyond frustrating

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DK82 said:

I'd like to see him go out on loan for a season, away from his boyhood club - he needs to find himself as a player.

He's already done that though.

Might just be me but I always think when players properly break through into a team and then 18 months later suddenly get farmed out on loan is a signal they're being eased out of the door.

That's what is happening with Wilshere and Arsenal.

What level would we loan him out to aswell, it's no good just letting him go to a league one club as he showed 3 seasons ago he could excel at that level so I really don't know what it would prove.

I doubt England under 21s would call him up if he was in league one for example.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's already done that though.

Might just be me but I always think when players properly break through into a team and then 18 months later suddenly get farmed out on loan is a signal they're being eased out of the door.

That's what is happening with Wilshere and Arsenal.

What level would we loan him out to aswell, it's no good just letting him go to a league one club as he showed 3 seasons ago he could excel at that level so I really don't know what it would prove.

I doubt England under 21s would call him up if he was in league one for example.

Albrighton is an example of a player who had a breakthrough season and then we didn't do the right thing, he is now worth 15-20m and a premier league winner.

Wilshere is 4 years older than Jack and played just over 100 games before his 25th birthday. Jack has taken part in less than 60 and is only 21. Albrighton played less than 100 for us and was deemed not good enough.

Who does Jack go to? A confident team who can afford to let him come in and find himself. Barnsley, Preston, maybe even Huddersfield? He needs to get away from the pressure of Villa and grow up whilst he does. He'll learn more that way than being in and out of our team.

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes I do know. I don’t know the circumstances behind that though and whether he would have a good reason for rocking up late or not.

Maybe I am being too soft on him. I just see a young lad who came in to the side regularly a couple of years ago. He initially made a positive impact and I think he was almost certainly overhyped and that hype went to his head. What he could have done with was a strong manager and some good senior influences to quickly reign him back in. What he got was 4 managers in 8 months and senior figures such as Gabby, Richards and Lescott.

Whilst I accept that even at 19/20 he has a responsibility to himself, and the club, the club had done nothing to aid his development for much of his time in the first team squad. Quite the opposite.

As others have said  he is now approaching a bit of a crossroads. Hopefully he does have some stability around him at the club now. Bruce is a strong manager, in Jedinak, Chester, Elphick etc he has some good senior influences and leaders around him. In addition for the first time ever for him he is now part of a squad and club that is actually striving to progress. It is now very much up to him to embrace all that and knuckle down and show us consistently the kind of performances we all know his ability can produce.

I sincerely hope you are right Mark.

I think the reasons you put forward have validity and are generous in order to create a bit of mitigation for the lad.

I have seen many 19 year olds come through our club and have made a major impact....as you rightly point out, in much more conducive surroundings....but I detect a difference in character, sadly.

I think as a club we are desperate for Jack to mature and fulfill his potential.

I hope he can do that.

• Like 1

He's one of those lads who is naturally talented, handsome and very well paid... and it's all happened in a flash, before he can work out what is going on... None of which would be a problem if he also had the self awareness to realise that 'promise' only gets you so far, but unfortunately, he's just not very bright, so his talent will most probably go to waste. Happy to be proved wrong.

47 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Albrighton is an example of a player who had a breakthrough season and then we didn't do the right thing, he is now worth 15-20m and a premier league winner.

Not really the point of the thread but no chance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

At this stage does it matter? 'We' keep giving people like Jack chance after chance and they've always got a good excuse - I was on holiday, it was a mate not me, it was my 21st and it got out of hand but I didn't do anything honest, my alarm didn't go off boss etc etc.

I've been a supporter of Jack's and a critic when it's warranted, but my patience is wearing thin now. Ultimately Steve Bruce is a lot closer to the situation and will have his own ideas, I'll back him on it because I trust he won't stand for bollocks, no matter how talented the player. But personally I can no longer hide my disappointment and, unfortunately, my disinterest. 

Â