The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I sincerely hope you are right Mark.

I think the reasons you put forward have validity and are generous in order to create a bit of mitigation for the lad.

I have seen many 19 year olds come through our club and have made a major impact....as you rightly point out, in much more conducive surroundings....but I detect a difference in character, sadly.

I think as a club we are desperate for Jack to mature and fulfill his potential.

I hope he can do that.

I'd agree with much of that mate. I think before even considering writing him off though or condemning his character I want to see how he goes for a sustained period under a strong manager in Bruce, a sustained period with positive influences to feed off and at a club that has some stability and that is going forward and striving for better.

He is not the first young player to lose his way but he hasn't gone past the point of no return yet. He is still only 21. Hopefully the spell out the team will do him good and we get the reaction we all want in that he knuckles down, does all he can to force his way back into the team and then produces the performances that keep him there. Ability wise he is more than capable of doing that. 

Big few months coming up for him that could shape the rest of his career, certainly at this club.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DK82 said:

Who does Jack go to? A confident team who can afford to let him come in and find himself. Barnsley, Preston, maybe even Huddersfield? He needs to get away from the pressure of Villa and grow up whilst he does. He'll learn more that way than being in and out of our team.

Why on earth would we want to loan him to a variety of teams who might plausibly be promotion rivals next season?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why on earth would we want to loan him to a variety of teams who might plausibly be promotion rivals next season?

Well if he keeps going the way he is he would help hinder our promotion rivals chances. :P

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd agree with much of that mate. I think before even considering writing him off though or condemning his character I want to see how he goes for a sustained period under a strong manager in Bruce, a sustained period with positive influences to feed off and at a club that has some stability and that is going forward and striving for better.

He is not the first young player to lose his way but he hasn't gone past the point of no return yet. He is still only 21. Hopefully the spell out the team will do him good and we get the reaction we all want in that he knuckles down, does all he can to force his way back into the team and then produces the performances that keep him there. Ability wise he is more than capable of doing that. 

Big few months coming up for him that could shape the rest of his career, certainly at this club.

Just to reiterate one on my earlier posts......I think he needs some one one dedicated work to get his game merchantable.

He is too young to write off.....I just hope we can get a pot off the potters wheel.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just to reiterate one on my earlier posts......I think he needs some one one dedicated work to get his game merchantable.

He is too young to write off.....I just hope we can get a pot off the potters wheel.

He has been doing extra work with Clemence all season, I'll let others judge what if any impact it's had on his game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I train apprentices and they are younger than Jack. You can tell very early on who will make it and who won't. I know bugga all about high level football but I like to think I know a lot about attitude and application. 

Jack won't make it. I could be wrong but I don't think I will be. 

• Like 1

The problem with Jack is that he's been hyped up since he was 15. Does anyone remember that Odegaard kid that Real Madrid bought? He's now at Herenveen finally getting some play time for the first time in 2 years and probably won't make the highest level of football. Jack needs to go to the lower divisions and graft away, life isn't going to be a cakewalk and he needs to realise that and stop with the off field antics that his short career has been plagued with. He acts like Ronaldo, but has the output of my mate Dan in our pub team. Dan scored once in 2007 and still coasts on that.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I train apprentices and they are younger than Jack. You can tell very early on who will make it and who won't. I know bugga all about high level football but I like to think I know a lot about attitude and application. 

Jack won't make it. I could be wrong but I don't think I will be. 

I don't think you have to know about high level football.......The subject of attitude and application and presides over all levels, so you will be familiar with it.

I hope they can fix Jack, but like you ,am sceptical.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think you have to know about high level football.......The subject of attitude and application and presides over all levels, so you will be familiar with it.

I hope they can fix Jack, but like you ,am sceptical.

Ive seen his type through my years.... Very likeable, a certain charm that allows them to get away with a little more than most and an instinct for what they do....... BUT they just abuse and over use these qualities and undoubtedly the fact they just can't be assed ever putting in the extra effort shines through. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

I was close to a 19 year old player at villa who went on to do great things, in relative terms......I seen his persona close up

Attitude and application is a very difficult thing to deal with.......There is an element of you either have it or you don't

I fear, Jack will find a level of football that suits him as opposed to him finding a way to deal with the level of football that we all want to see him revel in.

I hope i am wrong.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Ive seen his type through my years.... Very likeable, a certain charm that allows them to get away with a little more than most and an instinct for what they do....... BUT they just abuse and over use these qualities and undoubtedly the fact they just can't be assed ever putting in the extra effort shines through. 

The problem can be us,spectators...........We are liable to over value talent and under value attitude and application........Fact is you need both.

But usually talent gets the first reading........Application is usually nonchalantly expected. 

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

The problem can be us,spectators...........We are liable to over value talent and under value attitude and application........Fact is you need both.

But usually talent gets the first reading........Application is usually nonchalantly expected. This

Mate, you've nailed it. Id pay for attitude and application over 'talent'. Not saying you dont need talent but attitude you can work with. 

Yes he is 21 but he is also probably earning somewhere in the order of 20 times my pay at least per week to rock up late, act like a prat, do bugga all. I'm sick of it.

Green looks like a different type of attitude on the brief appearances I've seen/heard/read about. He is someone I would already rate over Grealish. 

He has had his chances, he is wasting everyone's time mainly his own. 

If I'm wrong I'll gladly admit it and I'll personally write him a letter of apology. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, magnkarl said:

The problem with Jack is that he's been hyped up since he was 15. Does anyone remember that Odegaard kid that Real Madrid bought? He's now at Herenveen finally getting some play time for the first time in 2 years and probably won't make the highest level of football. Jack needs to go to the lower divisions and graft away, life isn't going to be a cakewalk and he needs to realise that and stop with the off field antics that his short career has been plagued with. He acts like Ronaldo, but has the output of my mate Dan in our pub team. Dan scored once in 2007 and still coasts on that.

That's the thing for rme, a lot of people are judging him vs the player we were told he was apparently going to be

the clubs still don't it now, he's a marketing tool

For me to see Grealish at his best, he needs to slow the game down, then he can display his undoubted on ball skiils, he can beat a man, body swerve, stick a guy on his arse , draw a foul. Problem is by the time he has slowed the game the opposition defence has had time to regroup and for all the good work Jack has done he now has half a dozen blokes to beat so that he is is more threatening position than when he received the ball. Invariably at this point he turns and passes the ball backwards.

Throw in the fact he isn't great in front of goal and you can see where it all goes wrong for Jack. 

• Like 2

On 08/04/2017 at 09:34, TRO said:

"Merchantable". What a thoroughly modern thinking, progressive footy fan you are young TRO. You're now a fully signed up member of the Soccerball Society (President Paddy Reilly). How is Paddy? Actually has anyone ever seen TRO and Paddy in the same room...........? :huh:

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

"Merchantable". What a thoroughly modern thinking, progressive footy fan you are young TRO. You're now a fully signed up member of the Soccerball Society (President Paddy Reilly). How is Paddy? Actually has anyone ever seen TRO and Paddy in the same room...........? :huh:

Daggers have been drawn and duels proposed for lesser slights :o

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You are so kind Dave......especially addressing me with that oh so seductive word "young"........ to a 66 year old fart.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â