The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Christ, that's ridiculous.

Obviously I had hoped he was over his disciplinary issues, clearly I was wrong. 

Not sure where we go from here with him. 

It was the England Under 21 rather than Villa but I agree.

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It was the England Under 21 rather than Villa but I agree.

I know, but at this stage it doesn't really matter. It points to a wider issue with the lad which demonstrably still exists. 

I'm kinda done defending him now, basically. 

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I know, but at this stage it doesn't really matter. It points to a wider issue with the lad which demonstrably still exists. 

I'm kinda done defending him now, basically. 

I agree, I passed that stage some time ago.

Like a lot of young players now, you do question his motivation/determination to succeed.

Even Zlatan alluded to it yesterday when he said "I am a lion, surrounded by pussy cats" - and that's at Man Utd.

I just hope that making a handful of 1st team appearances for Villa isn't his ultimate goal, and that he's got the will to try and win a cup and play for Englands 1st team.

At the moment it seems like he's happy being a local lad in the squad.  I'd hope for a bit more than that from someone with his talent.  He really now needs to think about what he wants, and whether he has the motivation to go and get it - like Debbie Allie at Spurs..  He's got a nasty bastard in him, but sometimes, that's what it takes to become a winner.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Like a lot of young players now, you do question his motivation/determination to succeed.

Even Zlatan alluded to it yesterday when he said "I am a lion, surrounded by pussy cats" - and that's at Man Utd.

I just hope that making a handful of 1st team appearances for Villa isn't his ultimate goal, and that he's got the will to try and win a cup and play for Englands 1st team.

At the moment it seems like he's happy being a local lad in the squad.  I'd hope for a bit more than that from someone with his talent.  He really now needs to think about what he wants, and whether he has the motivation to go and get it - like Debbie Allie at Spurs..  He's got a nasty bastard in him, but sometimes, that's what it takes to become a winner.

Debbie Alli? :D

I think you are correct with what you are saying though, I think he has found himself comfortably well off at a young age as per a lot of young British players from Premier League teams, a few have the desire to really push themselves on but lots are happy thinking they have made it when in reality they have not.

It is a catch 22 situation for teams like us, pay the money to keep a potential star or lose them to the bigger teams who can afford to pay the wages.

Think you are all being a bit harsh. He's got talent but deserves to be where he is right now. It will do him good to be trying to force his way into a successful team rather than being a key figure who is relied on in a very unsuccessful team. 

• Like 1

If he hasn't kicked on yet in a mid-table Championship side that has, at many times this season cried out for some creativity then I doubt he'll make it here at all. In 10 years time, he'll be telling people that he once played for Villa in a "Do you know who I am?" kind of tone.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Can we just ... a little perspective here.  Firstly let me say I'm well aware of his flaws.  He has a long way to go and it's clear that the side has progressed while he has been out of it.

But, he is still our joint 3rd highest scorer in the league this season AND our joint 3rd highest assister as well.  This despite 18 starts, 9 of which he finished the game.  Whatever about what he does NOT do, which is plenty.  It is simply not true that he rarely impacts games.  It is his ability to unlock a defence either with a pass or a shot that makes him the exciting player he is.

Where and how (and whether...) we use him as we progress is up for discussion but he is effective in the final third.

That says more about the season we have had.. and our reliance on Adomah/Kodjia in creating and scoring goals. 

I was hoping he would be taking out of the side as he is a massive liability at this stage. I was proven correct. Our run has been amazing since hes been out of the side. Doesnt impact games enough and doesnt work hard enough. Good luck in league 2 if you keep it up Jack. I am sure you are a nice kid but you need to work hard on and off the pitch to get the success. 

1 minute ago, KSV said:

That says more about the season we have had.. and our reliance on Adomah/Kodjia in creating and scoring goals.

That's as may be, but if we are somehow discounting our 3rd highest scorer and assister as being an ineffectual/ineffective player, then it's a criticism that can surely be reasonably levelled at anyone in the squad who has an attacking responsibility and who hasn't met his numbers as well, and to be honest I don't think we can make that criticism.  Not fairly any way.

I know he's not flavour of the month.  But that doesn't mean the only conversations can be negative ones and it doesn't mean we should dismiss the positive aspects of his game in the process.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's as may be, but if we are somehow discounting our 3rd highest scorer and assister as being an ineffectual/ineffective player, then it's a criticism that can surely be reasonably levelled at anyone in the squad who has an attacking responsibility and who hasn't met his numbers as well, and to be honest I don't think we can make that criticism.  Not fairly any way.

I know he's not flavour of the month.  But that doesn't mean the only conversations can be negative ones and it doesn't mean we should dismiss the positive aspects of his game in the process.

Does the same apply for Ross McCormack?

Another with apparent attitude problems.

10 hours ago, BOF said:

Can we just ... a little perspective here.  Firstly let me say I'm well aware of his flaws.  He has a long way to go and it's clear that the side has progressed while he has been out of it.

But, he is still our joint 3rd highest scorer in the league this season AND our joint 3rd highest assister as well.  This despite 18 starts, 9 of which he finished the game.  Whatever about what he does NOT do, which is plenty.  It is simply not true that he rarely impacts games.  It is his ability to unlock a defence either with a pass or a shot that makes him the exciting player he is.

Where and how (and whether...) we use him as we progress is up for discussion but he is effective in the final third.

When you put it like that then yeah it sounds like I'm being somewhat unfair. My counterpoint is, you say joint 3rd highest goalscorer and assists - ok it's true but (and I had to look this up because I didn't know) the stats are: 3 goals and 2 assists. That's somewhat indicative of the poor team we had until after January but personally I was hoping that Grealish would have really kicked on and lit up the Championship this season.  2 assists is poor for a player of Jack's position and supposed talent.

That said I've hardly watched any games this season due to being very busy and them simply not being broadcast, so all I'm going on are goals and assists which maybe doesn't reflect his true contribution (as you say, defence-unlocking passes).

I don't rate him..... Have watched and waited for his potential to materialise. I know he is only 21 but his attitude for me is just not there. Plenty of 21 olds with less talent but better application, and hence more 'potential' to become better footballers. An opinion only. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

been awarded the PFA community player of the year for his work off the pitch

doubt that will get 10+ pages of people moaning about his attitude...

What's that got to do with his performances on the pitch though?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

been awarded the PFA community player of the year for his work off the pitch

doubt that will get 10+ pages of people moaning about his attitude...

Fair play to him and good on you for posting it but I'm only questioning his attitude towards his football. I don't think myself or anyone has said anything about his personal life other than when he is daft enough to let things become public news. 

Basically I genuinely think what he has done in the community is fantastic,

However I genuinely don't want him in the first team and by next season possibly not on the bench either. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Â