The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What's that got to do with his performances on the pitch though?

It's a thread about him.  It's had enough comment about his performances off the pitch already wouldn't you say?  It seems positive off pitch performances get met with immediate resistance.  Funny that.

• Like 4

Just now, BOF said:

It's a thread about him.  It's had enough comment about his performances off the pitch already wouldn't you say?  It seems positive off pitch performances get met with immediate resistance.  Funny that.

Cmon that's stretching it a bit, these comments aren't resistance. Maybe you're seeing something that isn't there. 

Jack Grealish isn't good enough to play for Villa (at the moment), but he is a bloody top bloke off the field. 

Hope that sorts it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Cmon that's stretching it a bit, these comments aren't resistance. Maybe you're seeing something that isn't there.

Let's just say I've noticed a pattern to this thread.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What's that got to do with his performances on the pitch though?

probably about the same as him getting pissed 4 weeks before the season starts....

and like ive said before, not knocking him in any way but he's won this in part because the club has put him up there on a pedestal, he's doing work it the community and with kids and charities and with the club because he's the face of the club

any criticism that he should just get his head down and focus on football this is another example of where to be fair to him he cant

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

been awarded the PFA community player of the year for his work off the pitch

doubt that will get 10+ pages of people moaning about his attitude...

Interesting!  Got a link?  I have NFI what he's doing off the pitch.

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Maybe because he isn't producing consistently on the pitch? If he was like say someone like lansbury then he would be praised. Not sure why you think there is some pattern or agenda against him when the critism I feel is justified.

I just don't see what the actually adds to his performances on the pitch. If your doing silly things off the pitch and the teams losing of course fans are gonna question you. Gabby has done some generous things off the pitch should he escape critism too?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

probably about the same as him getting pissed 4 weeks before the season starts....

and like ive said before, not knocking him in any way but he's won this in part because the club has put him up there on a pedestal, he's doing work it the community and with kids and charities and with the club because he's the face of the club

any criticism that he should just get his head down and focus on football this is another example of where to be fair to him he cant

Mate he could get pissed every night if he was putting in the performances each week! 

Don't think anyone will say anything negative about that as of course that's positive. Just a shame he can't use that positively consistently on the pitch.

Edited by Demitri_C

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Maybe because he isn't producing consistently on the pitch? If he was like say someone like lansbury then he would be praised. Not sure why you think there is some pattern or agenda against him when the critism I feel is justified.

I just don't see what the actually adds to his performances on the pitch. If your doing silly things off the pitch and the teams losing of course fans are gonna question you. Gabby has done some generous things off the pitch should he escape critism too?

The post was about something positive he did off the pitch.  You brought it immediately back to his negatives on the pitch because you couldn't bring yourself to agree with a positive post about him.  You even bring him up when other youngsters play well.  Your posts are consistent at least.

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

no it was just on twitter

no story behind what he's actually done to win it i just kind of pieced together all the other snippets of positive press he occasionally gets

Oh, he's been named Aston Villa's Community Player of the Year.  I thought it was an overall thing!

Still, fair play to the lad for whatever he's been doing in the community.

Just now, BOF said:

The post was about something positive he did off the pitch.  You brought it immediately back to his negatives on the pitch because you couldn't bring yourself to agree with a positive post about him.  You even bring him up when other youngsters play well.  Your posts are consistent at least.

It's disappointing you have to single me out to have an agenda against him when I don't see you questioning other posters who don't rate other players in other threads. This is a football forum we are not always going to agree about certain players, managers, or corner flags!

I stated a point and I said the same thing about gabby (who has been crucified far more than grealish has) and has done charity work but i dont think people would say well done gabby you done well for that so you escape critism for being crap most of the season?

I think grealish is really over rated that is all. No "agenda", pattern or any other way you want to word it. 

If you look back at a lot of my posts I have always said if he proves me wrong I'd be very happy but thus far he has failed.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's disappointing you have to single me out to have an agenda against him when I don't see you questioning other posters who don't rate other players in other threads. This is a football forum we are not always going to agree about certain players, managers, or corner flags!

I stated a point and I said the same thing about gabby (who has been crucified far more than grealish has) and has done charity work but i dont think people would say well done gabby you done well for that so you escape critism for being crap most of the season?

I think grealish is really over rated that is all. No "agenda", pattern or any other way you want to word it. 

If you look back at a lot of my posts I have always said if he proves me wrong I'd be very happy but thus far he has failed.

I have literally never used the word 'agenda' in relation to Grealish, so no need to put it in double quotes implying you're somehow quoting me.  I have only commented on the posts I'm reading in this thread.  I'll try to refrain from holding up a mirror to some posts in future.  But I can't make any guarantees because, as you say, it is a football forum.  I'm also not singling you or your posts out.  If they happen to be a part of the pattern that I'm seeing, then they're a part of the pattern.

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

I have literally never used the word 'agenda' in relation to Grealish, so no need to put it in double quotes implying you're somehow quoting me.  I have only commented on the posts I'm reading in this thread.  I'll try to refrain from holding up a mirror to some posts in future.  But I can't make any guarantees because, as you say, it is a football forum.  I'm also not singling you or your posts out.  If they happen to be a part of the pattern that I'm seeing, then they're a part of the pattern.

Pattern sounds like a variation of agenda to me but if you saying that it was not meant to be then I have no reason to question it. :)

If you look at my last two paragraphs from my previous post I have expressed my view on grealish. No pattern that's my opinion of him. Once he starts delivering  (hopefully soon) he will win me over. Thus far he has failed. 

The good things that he does off the pitch are genuinely good things and aren't asked of him or forced upon him. What he does barely anyone his age would be doing

The bad things that he does off the pitch are obviously unacceptable but is just what the majority of lads his age get up to. 

His season has been disrupted by 2 massive clearouts of the squad and a few niggling injuries here and there. These have been picked up because opposition managers pick him out as the danger man and put 2 men on him or get players to go in a little harder than necessary "leaving one in on him". Perfect example Warnock and Cardiff. He was almost literally kicked off the pitch. 

I don't understand the hate he gets. His mistakes aren't dangerous or inexcusable, they're just daft things you do when young. Bruce isn't going to phase him into being a squad player, look at the trust in Green, he'll be seeing if he fits into the current line up when people need resting and if he doesn't then he'll get a chance eventually. 

He could be our version of Adel Taarabt next season. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 4

I'd like to see him get half an hour as sub to Hourihane, just as a way of trying to get himself back into contention.  I think as the central attacking point in our midfield 3 with Jedinak and Lansbury behind him, being flanked by Green and Adomah, and providing for Kodjia, he would be in what I believe to be his best position.

I don't see where he fits into a 4-4-2 with Kodjia and Hogan up top.  He doesn't offer enough defensively to be central in that formation and he's not enough of a winger either for similar reasons.

He's in a tricky spot at the moment.  The team are flying in his absence and the midfield personnel in particular have been developing an understanding without him.

For the first time I can remember, and speaking as one of his biggest supporters, I don't see him as significantly improving the ability of the side when he comes into it any more, and that's credit to the other players and to the manager.  That's not to say he doesn't have his place though, and his time will come again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your one of his biggest fans? I never would have guessed :mrgreen:

I can see why you'd never have guessed.  I do tend to try and be balanced with him.  This lot below from the last few pages alone, in amongst my positivity *whistles innocently* :P

Firstly let me say I'm well aware of his flaws.  He has a long way to go and it's clear that the side has progressed while he has been out of it.

Whatever about what he does NOT do, which is plenty.

Yes he's his own worst enemy

• Like 1

I am wondering how long it takes before he starts shouting in the press. It will be the measure of the man methinks. See Alan Hutton circa Bomb Squad. 

Â