The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

£30m for Grealish? I'd snap their hand off. He's done nothing to suggest he's worth half that, we'd be mad to turn it down.

Maybe but we spent (not including signing on fees) over £30m on Gil, Tonev, Sinclair, Makoun, Ireland and Nzog.
I'd have taken a player for a decade that played well instead. 

6 minutes ago, KHV said:

4-3-2-1, Adomah and Grealish either side of Kodjia up top. Midfield 3 of Bjarnason, Lansbury and Hourihane is how I think we will go. We may get another wide player in too and get rid of Grealish?

I think that's a nice balance with winger and wide/hole player (Grealish reminds me of Lallana in that respect), though I think Jedinak will end up playing a bit as he will actually be able to concentrate on being a defensive player and nothing much more. He's worked hard for Bruce, I think loyalty will be rewarded.

I guess I just worry that the lack of width will hamper us and Bjarn will be a versatile enough to play the wide forward which will inevitably see us going narrow again. Too many teams play deep against us, we need some width to pull them out of position.

1 hour ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Not sure you can say that at this moment. We've been playing a narrow front 3 for a while now and it seems our managers still like it. 
We only have Adomah to play wide so someone else will have to and has been. Why not a hard working all action player?

If Hour sits along Jedinak and Kodija plays up top who goes out wide? I can't see us playing a narrow formation with 2 up top.

We didn't play narrow front three last game... plus Bruce has said he is fond of 442

Edited by mikeyp102

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

There's definitely a bit of that. It's why Traore got torn to shreds and some people still take delight in the lesser developed aspects of this game. They're almost the same age.

But then, that's just the nature of football, I guess. The fans always like to see their own youth players doing well, and they'll always be a lot more defensive of them, too. 

It doesn't influence me one way or the other....I do not stop to consider where they came from before delivering my verdict on them.I just appraise them as a footballer

The paradox is some of the most troublesome have been homegrown of late and players from elsewhere better dedicated, so I'm not sure what can be gleaned from that.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

There's definitely a bit of that. It's why Traore got torn to shreds and some people still take delight in the lesser developed aspects of this game. They're almost the same age.

But then, that's just the nature of football, I guess. The fans always like to see their own youth players doing well, and they'll always be a lot more defensive of them, too. 

I think there is a difference though in that they are completely different players. I agree that a villa youth player will always be given a bit of extra time and get a bit more support. But for me, Grealish gets more time simply because he has a football brain and the technique to become a good player. Traore is just another Agbonlahor type player IMO. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's harsh on Gabby, don't you think?

Gabby scored 9 goals and had 6 assists in his first full PL season, from the wing, aged 20. 

I meant in terms of their play style. It's just head down and run. But I agree that Gabby put his strengths to effective use, Traore is just highlight runs with no end product.

12 hours ago, KHV said:

Bjarnason wont be played wide

I don't know where you got that from. This is Brum mail recycled bio of him

6) What is his best position? As a defensive midfielder or attacking midfielder?

He is comfortable in all the midfield positions but has mainly played on the wings.

He is right-footed, but enjoys playing on the left, which is his position in the Icelandic team.

But he always performs well when shifted to central midfield, both attacking and defensive.

42 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't know where you got that from. This is Brum mail recycled bio of him

6) What is his best position? As a defensive midfielder or attacking midfielder?

He is comfortable in all the midfield positions but has mainly played on the wings.

He is right-footed, but enjoys playing on the left, which is his position in the Icelandic team.

But he always performs well when shifted to central midfield, both attacking and defensive.

I thought I read that bruce said he would play him centrally

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

We didn't play narrow front three last game... plus Bruce has said he is fond of 442

I know that but you have to consider what player you're playing. 

Adomah loves to stick wide and burst forward but others go wide and then cut inside looking for an overlap or inside run. Too often than means the play stops and players end up holding their position and not being on their heels. Imo that's been a big problem for the last half decade and one of the reasons some of us have shown appreciation for Hutton's endeavour. 

Â