The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

This would make sense if his England game time was any different when at Villa.

At Villa, it was two years before he got in the squad when he should have been starting.

The fact he makes it in now, sat on City's bench is beyond a joke.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The only logic I can think of would be he was hoping to win a free kick in a dangerous area. But it's a bizarre tactic.

The kind of player you bring on at that stage would be someone like Peter Crouch, who we obviously don't have. or chuck a defender up front so you can play direct for the last minute.

A player like Grealish is a weird choice to bring on in that situation

I cant remember fully but was it not when Rashford was lining up the free kick when he came on

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Not even a Manu fan would have Rashford over Grealish, completely different level of player with completely different skill sets. The game was crying out for a player who can create, if Grealish was french he would be on that pitch from the start and we would be dreading coming up against him. 

None of this is true I don't think.

ManU fans would not want their in decent form winger to be behind a man who has really never played well at the highest level. 

Where does Grealish start for France? The only argument you could make is Dembele but when you're a counter attacking team with a Giroud up front why would you want a player of Grealish's profile?

He isn't quick and isn't a goal threat. He'd only make sense if France played with Mbappe up front. But they don't.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

None of this is true I don't think.

ManU fans would not want their in decent form winger to be behind a man who has really never played well at the highest level. 

Where does Grealish start for France? The only argument you could make is Dembele but when you're a counter attacking team with a Giroud up front why would you want a player of Grealish's profile?

He isn't quick and isn't a goal threat. He'd only make sense if France played with Mbappe up front. But they don't.

This topic isn’t about Kalvin Phillips.

You must’ve missed JG’s man of the match awards for England then?

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This couldn't be further from the truth

Not sure about now but in his last season with us they were clamouring for him.  I read his thread on RedCafe a fair bit and I'm pretty sure nearly all of them would have swapped Rashford for Grealish at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Not sure about now but in his last season with us they were clamouring for him.  I read his thread on RedCafe a fair bit and I'm pretty sure nearly all of them would have swapped Rashford for Grealish at the time.

I'm sure they were. But I doubt many, if any, United fans would be saying Grealish should come on ahead of Rashford for England right now

• Like 3

It may have been because stones was injured that he came on I just find it astonishing the manager of one of the best international squads in the world had no clue what to do when chasing a late goal. 

This squad has been wasted when arguably the standard of other international teams has been at his lowest in years.

• Like 1

If JG was still playing for Villa and inform, Southgate still would not start or use him as a sub as "he doesn't play for one of the big 6"......

Now he does play for a "big 6" club, he is not picked to start as he is not playing that well.

Bringing him on for the last minute though....... what was the point?

Woulda been better than a unfit Sterling.

Maybe Southgate should have tried a bit harder to get him in form, I mean we did have the whole of the nations league to intergrate him into the squad, an there's no doubt when he's on it, he can change a game, good to pull free kicks too.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

At Villa, it was two years before he got in the squad when he should have been starting.

The fact he makes it in now, sat on City's bench is beyond a joke.

Well yeah but that still contradicts the point you made initially :D

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The only logic I can think of would be he was hoping to win a free kick in a dangerous area. But it's a bizarre tactic.

The kind of player you bring on at that stage would be someone like Peter Crouch, who we obviously don't have. or chuck a defender up front so you can play direct for the last minute.

A player like Grealish is a weird choice to bring on in that situation

The thought that crossed my mind is Southgate being Southgate didn't want to chuck Wilson on and go all out attack knowing that of we scored we would be imbalanced in extra time

Grealish coming on meant if we did score he could at least keep some sort of shape for the 30 minutes

Pragmatic till the end

Probably an unfair assumption

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The thought that crossed my mind is Southgate being Southgate didn't want to chuck Wilson on and go all out attack knowing that of we scored we would be imbalanced in extra time

Grealish coming on meant if we did score he could at least keep some sort of shape for the 30 minutes

Pragmatic till the end

Probably an unfair assumption

I think Kane was probably an issue there.

His work rate isn't cracking and it only gets worse as the game goes on. Into extra time he becomes a traffic cone but you can't take him off because he's still capable with the ball at his feet. So you leave him on, and try to make up for it elsewhere.

Â