The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

One of the worst in the final? Probably because he was the only one who wanted to have a go and because he didn't have any support he was often crowded out and tried to do too much.

One of the first passes that went to him went under his foot, Primary school boy mistake.

One of the only ones who wanted to have a go?  His name was largely absent from the commentary for a reason.

We must do.

I remember being stuffed 4-0 and one of the most worst displays I have seen in a final.

I am quite happy to have a clearout and get a new team in, and I am also happy to get a player that may play in Grealish's position who is currently a better player.  

I want Grealish to become Villa's Bale but he has done nothing to earn an automatic slot.

• Like 1

I will be going against the tide on this BUT

Grealish is a Talent but has he really done anything to justify these expectations?

I do not see him this season as being one of the main players and if he starts 10-15 games he has done well.

So far he has played a few games and had one exceptional game (Semi vs Liverplop) but apart from that just showed promise.  He was one of the worst players in the Final though he had quite a bit of competition for that.

Going back we had players such as Shaw, Walters, Daley who made a bigger impact at that age.  Even Stefan Moore played a blinder in his first start.

I am happy if we buy players that will compete for Grealish's spot on the team as it hopefully make him fight harder and become a better player.

I agree with most of that, apart from it is probably unfair to call him one of the worst in the cup final. They were all equally useless.

I think we do need to temper our expectations on this lad, it is the notorius second season now. He will find it tougher this year, and we should try and let the lad develop without the added pressure of being our great big hope. I think it is a good thing that we have plenty of competition for those attacking slots as it will allow Sherwood to pull young Jack out of the firing line if things are not going as well as hoped.

We won't know what kind of team Sherwood wants to put out until we've signed everyone, and everyone is fully fit. Kind of stating the obvious a bit here, but I would be interested in seeing if Sherwood would start Gil ahead of Jack if they were both fully fit - or if they would both start. I think competition for places is strong in this area for once, so I for one am very excited by this!

There is no doubt jack has huge amounts of talent and could eventually become great. The good thing about this season is that we appear to have options and more importantly competition for places. It means the likes of Jack have to earn their position rather than resting on laurels.

I know it was his first season and it was v.good debut season for somebody who was thrown in relegation battle at a young age...but i feel he played it far far far too safe when he had the ball last season. I dont think he was as impressive as people make him out to be here. I think his passing stat kind of shows that aswell. He got us a lot of fouls but there were so many times where he could have been more direct/threatening but he just decided to cut back and play a 5 yard pass. Feel like it was missing quite a bit but sure it will change this season as experience/confidence grows/playing with better midfield

Sure he will have an awesome season for us but i dont want him to be first name on the teamsheet every week. Please dont burn him out/destroy his confidence like united did with janauzaj. Manage him right and he will be awesome. (Although he does seem the type to not give a shit but still rather not risk it)

Edited by gharperr

I know it was his first season and it was good debut season for somebody who was thrown in relegation battle at a young age...but i feel he played it far far far too safe when he had the ball last season. I dont think he was as impressive as people make him out to be here. I think his passing stat kind of shows that aswell. He got us a lot of fouls but there were so many times where he could have been more direct/threatening but he just decided to cut back and play a 5 yard pass. Feel like it was missing quite a bit but sure it will change this season as experience/confidence grows/playing with better midfield

Sure he will have an awesome season for us but i dont want him to be first name on the teamsheet every week. Please dont burn him out/destroy his confidence like united did with janauzaj. Manage him right and he will be awesome. (Although he does seem the type to not give a shit but still rather not risk it)

Totally agree with this.

I think he will learn from the French contingent who appear to be more attack minded.

Need more forward passes, killer passes and would like to say more attempts on goal.

Still think he has a great future and will grow into his role this season.

He's a better player than Jansuzai. Sometimes I'm unsure whether I watch the same game as others :)

There are a few performances in particular that stand out for me. QPR, Liverpool and Everton, West Ham and Man City. He may not have always gotten the direct stats that people crave these days, but he was an absolute terror and he did what you are asking him to do, he embarrassed players years his senior.

He didn't *just* run at people then pass the ball back 5 yards, what he absolutely didn't do was give the ball away. He picked the right pass almost every time. What they couldn't do in return was make the right runs or do something with it when they did. The pass to Gabby against West Ham is amongst the best I've ever seen, if only it wasn't Gabby on the end of it.

As the quality around Jack improves so will Jack. If people want to see more statistical end product, bearing in mind sample size is extremely important when it comes to stats, then he needs to play. He's not going to learn anything else from the bench.

Whether he can handle 40 games a season yet is not a judgement call I can make, but I doubt it will be a problem.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Agreed he probably could do more kill passes, but every ball doesn't have to be a killer ball, he picks the right pass most times. I'm not comparing him to Xavi in any way, but every time he got on the ball he didn't have to play a killer ball everytime. Also, didn't he play a 40yard ball to gabby against Stoke? To score... Doesn't get much more direct than that...

Agreed he probably could do more kill passes

I agree that we do want that from him more regularly, but he has what, 10 starts under his belt? We should be judging him on ability at this stage, like a scout might. In that sense I see plenty to lead me to believe he could go on to be one of the best we've ever had.

Everyone was rightly jizzing over him towards the end of last season but in classic Villa Talk fashion, time muddies the mind.

(I am aware I took your quote out of context there Lord, agree with everything you say)

• Like 3

Â