The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Rightly so because no national manager will ever base his side and his default playing style around one player ...... as Villa have now worked out, you shouldn't really do that at Premier level either !

Jack is not an all round player nor does he have much by way of flexibility in his style. He is what he is and he plays as he plays and unless you are prepared to work around him and with Jack at the heart of everything then you get what we've seen in the last couple of weeks which are games where he barely touches the ball. Villa players will feed Jack over and over because they have total trust in him but top flight England players will not. That isn't because Southgate is telling them not to pass to him but because top players tend to be groomed into not passing to players who are closely marked for fear of them not controlling and working the ball in close.

Jack's best role for England is as an impact substitute when we need to abandon the team style and look to game-breakers to change fortunes. Southgate knows that and is using him for that purpose.

On top of all this, for those slating Southgate, Jack is NOT fit. He is about 75% at best. If you watch the daily training videos then you can't fail to notice Jack is absent from 90% of the tougher training sessions. His fitness is being carefully managed as will be revealed after Euro2020 has finished and, as Villa fans, we should be pleased about this.  

Too many inconvenient truths here for some to accept.

Aside from that, thus far, it appears Southgate has changed setup, personnel each time, to play against particular opposition, and it has worked.

Wouldn't surprise me If Jack got an unexpected start somewhere.

I also think, this experience will make him an even better player.

People need to remember he's at the age where he can still get a few Euros and a couple of World Cups in him.

He will grow into a role and be more developed as that squad progresses.

• Like 2

For me personally it would be a shame to see England win a tournament, and essentially not use who IMO and many others is our best player. I just find it weird how little of an opportunity he is given, I know his fitness isn’t 100% but nobody can deny the fact that he hasn’t been given enough game time. 

40 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We won 4-0 on a European quarter final. Time to concede Southgate knows what he is doing lads.

While Mason Mount starts for England, there will always be doubts.

But yes, it's going well. Still, Jack should start and is the best player in the squad. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

For me personally it would be a shame to see England win a tournament, and essentially not use who IMO and many others is our best player. I just find it weird how little of an opportunity he is given, I know his fitness isn’t 100% but nobody can deny the fact that he hasn’t been given enough game time. 

I actually think that'd be pretty impressive. Most other teams rely on their game changers to carry them through the tournament.

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As a Welshman, I find some of the opinions and comments in here embarrassing and cringey.

England are on the verge of finally achieving something significant and all people can do is bitch and moan that poor Jack isn’t in the starting XI.

Lets Go Reaction GIF

This is now squeaky bum time. Southgate will show his hand (subject to injuries etc) v Denmark. i don’t think Jack will start but let’s see what happens.

The other consideration for Villa fans is that putting all the England stuff to one side, Southgate has probably been acting in Villa’s interests in safeguarding Jack’s health and also giving him a dose of reality re what it means to not be the main guy in a squad. I bet he’s thinking twice about playing Pep’s squad rotation game after the last few weeks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

We won 4-0 on a European quarter final. Time to concede Southgate knows what he is doing lads.

I will when we get to the final, beating Germany was a big result but come on the Ukraine are awful. Denmark will be a harder but a game we should be winning. Anything other than the final is failure in my eyes!

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

Foden has done nothing when he's played so far, I don't think we're crying out for him to be getting more time tbh.

I thought we needed Jack in the first half yesterday, but Ukraine were absolutely knackered. When you can play in second gear and still put 3 past them in a half, what's the need to bring on Jack?

We'll almost certainly see him against Denmark.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I was annoyed as the rest when he didn't start against Croatia or Germany. But come on, Southgate has been totally vindicated in his decision making.

This thread is going slightly insane. 

Totally insane. If another clubs fan base was talking like some in here we’d be rightly taking the piss out of them. It’s embarrassing really.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We'll see more of Jack don't worry. Although England have done incredibly well and not conceded a goal we have been a touch fortunate in that our opposition haven't given us a particularly tough time. Had we struggled a bit Jack would have had more minutes I think. That goes to show that Southgate trusts him as his number 1 get out of jail card and in my opinion is now ahead of Foden in that respect (maybe not match fitness wise). The chips are now down and we'll see what England are made of when the going is tougher. That's not to take anything away from what Southgate has done. I have more respect for him than I had a couple of weeks ago! He's explained his reasoning behind decisions and he's got things spot on so far so fair play. 

Thought it was interesting that Southgate was reassuring Jack last night. Quite telling actually and I would like to think he was reminding him that he still has a big part to play. 

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Foden has done nothing when he's played so far, I don't think we're crying out for him to be getting more time tbh.

I thought we needed Jack in the first half yesterday, but Ukraine were absolutely knackered. When you can play in second gear and still put 3 past them in a half, what's the need to bring on Jack?

We'll almost certainly see him against Denmark.

I felt we need Jack in the first half yesterday, I felt like as the first half ended that we still needed Jack for the second half.

It just so happened that our opponents switched proper off and we broke them down. 

One goal from the opposition and the game could of been changed and we would of been calling for Jack, we would of seen him as well I reckon if the game had been tighter.

1 minute ago, birdman said:

We'll see more of Jack don't worry. Although England have done incredibly well and not conceded a goal we have been a touch fortunate in that our opposition haven't given us a particularly tough time. Had we struggled a bit Jack would have had more minutes I think. That goes to show that Southgate trusts him as his number 1 get out of jail card and in my opinion is now ahead of Foden in that respect (maybe not match fitness wise). The chips are now down and we'll see what England are made of when the going is tougher. That's not to take anything away from what Southgate has done. I have more respect for him than I had a couple of weeks ago! He's explained his reasoning behind decisions and he's got things spot on so far so fair play. 

Thought it was interesting that Southgate was reassuring Jack last night. Quite telling actually and I would like to think he was reminding him that he still has a big part to play. 

Yeah that was nice to see. Must have saw he wasn't happy though.

1 minute ago, birdman said:

Two games left are you sure?

Edited by Dave-R

When I watch England, I do so as an England fan, not a Villa fan. As long as we're winning, I couldn't care less who's in the starting line up and who's on the bench (as much as the Villa fan in me would love to see Jack get the winning goal in the final)

• Thanks 1

Look, if you don't like the fact people think certain players should be starting, tough shit. It's working out anyway and I'm sure most England fans are delighted. I know I am. It doesn't mean its perfect, right?

Thinking Jack should be starting over a rocket polisher like Mount is not cringey or insane. Get off your high horse.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Â