The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The problem is, I think the kind of money we'll get offered for Grealish will be too good to turn down. If we stay in this league I think we'll be attracting £80m plus.

That's a lot for a club at our current level to be turning down when we could be buying 3 or 4 more players with that money and breaking even (on transfer fees anyway)

I'd be as happy as anyone if we kept him. Ecstatic. 

I just don't agree with this "he's not better than Villa" narrative. He is. And that usually means the player moves on.

I can't think of anyone since Le Tissier where a club has held on to a player so much better than the level the club is at.

I don’t think our Owners will need the money. I agree he will go, with the only possible exception being if we stay up, he has another year, and somehow we make a giant leap forward. But I don’t think the money will be the deciding factor, personallly.

1 hour ago, LancsVillan said:

If we stay up - I think he will stay simple as that.

To leave will as big a wrench to him and his family as it will be to fans. He would go from being the biggest fish and Captain of a biggish club, HIS club, to being a part of something bigger and supposedly 'better' at a club currently higher up than us. 

That said IF we go down, he's gone if only to kill the FFP implications and in a way his leaving HIS club would therefore help HIS club.

I've got a funny feeling he will as well.

If it's only Utd from the UK after him, I honestly think he might sign a new massive deal. 3 years on his current one? 4 years and making £150k a week isn't that much different in terms of what we'd be asking for him anyway. 

Depends on the euros some of it. No doubt in my mind he'll be one of the stars of the tournament if he plays every game, England can definitely win it.

If that happens, Barca and Real will definitely be in having a look, that'll be harder to turn down.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I barely watch football outside of Villa as it is.

So I doubt i'm going to go out of my way to watch Jack celebrating goals for other teams, kissing badges etc.

If I was more of an individual player fan, than a Villa fan, I'd be watching Barca, Juve, Real and PSG etc to "enjoy" watching players perform at the highest level.

Neither do I. And in the case of any other player I share your views 100%.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whats to say we couldn't spend that on 3 or 4 players if we stay up, ANYWAY?

It wouldn't surprise me if our survival sparked the "2nd phase" of the owners plans, and sponsorship's either being bumped up, and/or attracting larger sponsorship and partnership fees etc.

If it wasn't for FFP I'd agree with you 100%

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I barely watch football outside of Villa as it is.

So I doubt i'm going to go out of my way to watch Jack celebrating goals for other teams, kissing badges etc.

If I was more of an individual player fan, than a Villa fan, I'd be watching Barca, Juve, Real and PSG etc to "enjoy" watching players perform at the highest level.

I would say 10 years ago I was mad for it, watched more or less any football that was on, villa being shit for so long killed off my enjoyment of football in general, im now the same watch only villa

but I would watch him play abroad most weeks if im honest, if for example he went to Dortmund with the Sancho money id happily start watching them and go to some games

if he joins another English club then I wont 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I would usually agree Rob, but losing Grealish would be such a downer, I don't think 120 or 130 would compensate. He's that special. Not only in terms of what he can do technically but from a profile, leadership and feelgood factor angle.

OK, if we go down, selling Grealish, Mings and McGinn perhaps. plus the likes of El Ghazi and all the players who might not want to play in Championship or are not worth holding onto considering their expense. We could be looking at 200m to reinvest. That should be spent on hoovering up the best youth players around and taking the long view. Tbh, I'd throw it at some of Borussia Dortmund's youth set up. That's the only way we make sure we come back stronger. Blowing it all on middling journeymen would be a complete waste.

I just hope this is all hypothetical, because the best case is still possible. We stay up, keep Jack, flex some financial muscle again and build a young talented side around Jack. That is 100% their plan in my opinion and it is possible within 2-3 years. Jack could be leading a genuine top 4 challenging Villa team by then. You can say its impossible all you like but Leicester did it. That happened. You need to be smart, lucky, brave and committed, but it is 100% doable. There's a clear top 2, and 1 of them might start fading as they've been denied the top table for 2 years. Then there's a few decent pretenders, then there's not much else to choose between.

Or we can wave the white flag and accept the box all these media idiots and clueless neutrals put us in, making them look correct. Personally, that thought makes me want to puke up my own rib cage. 

It'll upset all of us, but we'll get over it.

Currently we're often a one-man team, with Grealish being the deciding factor whenever we get a win. Part of that is down to the fact that we had to build a squad in a short space of time and with, relatively, little money.

If we could add another 2-3 match winners to our side, then we could be in a much healthier position. Just imagine our side with 2 new 'Mings quality' defenders, a new 'McGinn quality' midfielder and 2 'Benrahma quality' wingers (for example). That's the kind of investment we could see if Grealish was sold.

No-one will replace him, but football moves on, and so will we. On one hand we could be gutted to see him in someone else's shirt, but on the other hand, the sale of this academy product could turn us into a Top 10 side.

• Like 1

If Jack wanted to leave and an offer of 80m or so came in we’d have to sell him.

Firstly I don’t think you should keep a player at a club if he wants to leave. Secondly I think with FFP the only way we can continue to grow is by selling to buy.

We’ve pretty much spent all our revenue for one season trying to stay up and thats with Jack in the team. We can’t continue to rely on one player and if we stay up we will need to spend a lot more money again to improve massively. 

edit: Obviously the ideal scenario is Jack signs a new contract and agrees to stay. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Jack wanted to leave and an offer of 80m or so came in we’d have to sell him.

Or we say no, get ****. Not even answering the phone unless we're at 9 figures.

So, to recap:

We stay up. The answer is get ****.

We go down. The answer is get **** unless we're talking 9 figures.

• Like 1

I dont think I have ever seen an opposition defence so scared of a Villa player like yesterday. Aurier didnt even get a booking for his 4 or 5 fouls on him 

Only problem was he went back to the old Jack of not pulling the trigger himself

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think I have ever seen an opposition defence so scared of a Villa player like yesterday. Aurier didnt even get a booking for his 4 or 5 fouls on him 

Only problem was he went back to the old Jack of not pulling the trigger himself

He did pull the trigger a couple times though, but they were in the early parts of the game. Maybe that's what you meant, went back (during the game) to the old ... :)

12 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Or we say no, get ****. Not even answering the phone unless we're at 9 figures.

So, to recap:

We stay up. The answer is get ****.

We go down. The answer is get **** unless we're talking 9 figures.

I think chances are high that Jack will want to leave regardless of what happens in terms of survival. 

He's turning 25 soon, this is his moment and I'm sure he and his agent/family know it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think chances are high that Jack will want to leave regardless of what happens in terms of survival. 

He's turning 25 soon, this is his moment and I'm sure he and his agent/family know it.

I think chances are low that he’ll want to leave if we survive, he’ll know about the project the owners have and will want to go on that journey for at least another season.  

If the options to go are the likes of Man U then he’ll pass because those clubs are at best in transition and a graveyard for talent at the moment.

If Barca or Liverpool come in then it is likely to be different but I’m not sure they will come in this close season, they’ll want to see him do it more than one season at top level to pay top dollar.

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think chances are low that he’ll want to leave if we survive, he’ll know about the project the owners have and will want to go on that journey for at least another season.  

If the options to go are the likes of Man U then he’ll pass because those clubs are at best in transition and a graveyard for talent at the moment.

If Barca or Liverpool come in then it is likely to be different but I’m not sure they will come in this close season, they’ll want to see him do it more than one season at top level to pay top dollar.

If we survive, our project next year will be a mid table finish. Why would he choose that over the offers that will clearly come in for him?

People are viewing Jack with the claret and blue glasses they wear. He is a fan but this is also his career and he's got another 6/7 seasons playing at his best. I can't see him wasting one of those to help us finish 12th. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

Whether he stays or goes we need to sign some top level players, more so if he leaves (obviously that's if we still are in premier league).

We will have plenty of money to play with so that's no excuse.

This is a club who effectively replaced Benteke with Rudy Gestede and Tammy with Wesley which really downgraded things in the final third so the warning is there.

If you lose a top class attacking player you sign another one. Atletico Madrid is a good example of this over last decade when you look at the strikers they've sold.

I'd be looking at Luiz Alberto at Lazio. Had a magnificent season there in number 10 position, previously played for Liverpool so knows England aswell.

People will say he's unobtainable but I'm pretty sure Watford signed Roberto Pererya a few months after he'd played in the CL final for Juventus. They were newly promoted at the time.

• Like 1

Yes he's a Villa fan but he also loves the game in general, and will be desperate to play at a top club, playing with better players, experiencing those special European nights etc. He'll be off in the summer no matter what IMO, and good luck to him as he deserves it.

• Like 1

Â