The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

he is getting closer. at some point this season he is going to score one of those solo mazy goals where he jinks around 4 players in the box before slotting it home a la George Best for the San Jose Earthquakes 1981 or the one Ibrahimovich scored for Ajax in 2004. I guarantee it

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Would you put him in the world class category already. I haven't seen many players that can do what he does with the ball. 

I've seen nothing to suggest that if you put him into Barcelona or Real Madrid's starting 11 he'd look out of place.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Would you put him in the world class category already. I haven't seen many players that can do what he does with the ball. 

There arent many players like him in the world. Very rare and possibly unique combination of attributes. If he's not considered world class now he may well be when this season is done. And If Southgate pulls that lump of coal from his ass and plays him in the Euros even more so. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He is quality but I can't commit to saying he is world class till he is getting 10-15 goals, 10-15 assists a season. He has to been matching KDB stats to be world class. 

KDB is a good benchmark for a world class midfielder  

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

KDB is a good benchmark for a world class midfielder  

But sometimes your assists stats are only as good as the players on the end of them. For example Ozil had the most assists in Europe when playing for Real Madrid because he had Ronaldo on the end of his passes. 

Last season Jack was second in the league for chances created. He is heading in the right direction for eventual world class status.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He is quality but I can't commit to saying he is world class till he is getting 10-15 goals, 10-15 assists a season. He has to been matching KDB stats to be world class. 

I understand your point, but it's not all about end product is it? Grealish is the type of footballer that not only has graft and skill, but he's capable of getting the ball, retain possession and bring the entire team into play. And I do wonder if KDB had played for us, if he had been able to take control of matches to the degree Grealish does. I didn't phrase that as a question, but I probably should have. I for one am not sure about that. KDB is exceptional, but he is just a different type of footballer to me. 

In fact thinking about it I'm not sure what historical footballer to compare Grealish's style to. Zidane?  Zico?

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I understand your point, but it's not all about end product is it? Grealish is the type of footballer that not only has graft and skill, but he's capable of getting the ball, retain possession and bring the entire team into play. And I do wonder if KDB had played for us, if he had been able to take control of matches to the degree Grealish does. I didn't phrase that as a question, but I probably should have. I for one am not sure about that. KDB is exceptional, but he is just a different type of footballer to me. 

In fact thinking about it I'm not sure what historical footballer to compare Grealish's style to. Zidane?  Zico?

If you're playing as a left forward you 100% need the stats to back you up. 

15 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Interesting fact about Jack’s great grandfather Garraty was capped once by England appearing in a game against Wales in 1903. History repeating   itself?

Yep. Billy Garraty, forward. 224 appearances and 96 goals for the Villa, 1897-1908 (later 53 games, 22 goals for the tesco bags). This is a Villa royal dynasty we are talking about here. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

10 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

If you're playing as a left forward you 100% need the stats to back you up. 

But for me he's not a left forward. He's an advanced playmaker that happens to primarily work from the left wing in what only can be described as a free role. That's partically my point. KDB plays far more advanced and in a far more direct role. More focused on end product than Jack. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This is what opposition managers have to make a call on.

Leave him alone at your peril.

Yep, real interesting to see what Leeds try on Friday. They can try that high line press at their own peril. It will be Liverpool version 2. 

Â