Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I will watch it at some point but I imagine its the same old japan travel show, he'll try sumo, he'll see a robot, he'll order dinner from a vending machine etc

Yep. Recently watched the Joanna Lumley and Sue Perkins ones. Both very good, but I don't need another one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. Recently watched the Joanna Lumley and Sue Perkins ones. Both very good, but I don't need another one. 

my problem is ive been there and I absolutely loved the place want to go back and want to see more, sue perkins showing me the workers apology camp whatever it was called was funny but the country is good enough and beautiful enough not to need the quirkiness rammed down your throat , if anything id quite like a serious (boring) show more like the wild china series (which sold me on going to china)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I will watch it at some point but I imagine its the same old japan travel show, he'll try sumo, he'll see a robot, he'll order dinner from a vending machine etc

He travels the length of the country but starts in the snowy mountains before moving into the familiar cities.

There's nothing particularly new here and yes he does try Sumo and a Robot but its more about the people he meets along the way than what he is actually seeing. (Bizarrely not a single vending machine is mentioned or seen).

I suppose it boils down to if you like James May or not whether its worth watching.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s with all the Japan documentaries all of a sudden? There was one on channel 5 not long ago. A guy from Burnley presenting it. No idea who he was. 

Olympics ;) 

there will be a general tourism push, what these programmes don't tend to say is it can be done fairly "cheap" especially compared to heading west for example (2 weeks in japan cost me nearly half of 2 weeks in Canada) they usually show the pod hotels as a cheap option but there were a lot of Travelodge style places and prices outside of Tokyo too

• Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Olympics ;) 

there will be a general tourism push, what these programmes don't tend to say is it can be done fairly "cheap" especially compared to heading west for example (2 weeks in japan cost me nearly half of 2 weeks in Canada) they usually show the pod hotels as a cheap option but there were a lot of Travelodge style places and prices outside of Tokyo too

Ha that explains it. Goes to show how much I know about any sport that isn’t football! 

Watched the Sue Perkins and Guy Martin Japan docs, both of which I liked, but James May's one seems to be better than both so far (although he does go to the same sword smith Guy Martin did...). There's a few of the Japan tropes you expect but with the more leisurely pace and less of a focus purely on Tokyo and Tokyo 'things', it's very good. Helps that May is a good presenter for this kind of thing.

And yes the bit with the robot tour guide was hilarious, largely because it seemed completely off the cuff (or it was made well enough to hide the script - May genuinely seemed to be nearly crying laughing at it).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Apart from the one that took them about 6 minutes to work out the food, the train station(briefly), sushi bar & then the food again towards the end...

Admittedly I was in and out of the room at times when watching but I don't remember any of those. Did they use a vending machine in the sushi bar? The one with the conveyer belt and the plate lottery?

I haven't finished the last episode either if something comes up towards the end of that one...

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Admittedly I was in and out of the room at times when watching but I don't remember any of those. Did they use a vending machine in the sushi bar? The one with the conveyer belt and the plate lottery?

I haven't finished the last episode either if something comes up towards the end of that one...

The sushi bar was more just the touch screen rather than a specific vending machine, There is another in the final episode but the main one was in the first episode after the snowball fight where they went to get food, couldn't work out the machine, eventually got a ticket after 6 minutes (sped up for tv), gave it to a guy who ripped it in half before sending them to the next window. Was about 3 minutes of the episode in all i think. They didn't make a whole deal of fuss about the train station in the actual episode other than groaning a bit but the last minute or so of ep 2 on the next time... shows them struggling with a couple of different people helping trying to buy a ticket.

There are plenty of more "interesting" vending machines in Japan they could have shown but they pretty much avoided entirely anything that involved idols/maids/females in general other than the obligatory geisha section so it is unlikely he would be chasing down every pair of undies available. You can pretty much get anything in a vending machine though so maybe not sure why it isn't covered more on some of these shows to show the sheer convenience of being abe to get anything whenever you want out of a machine, even a single egg if you wish.

It was an entertaining enough watch but considering that they spent about 3 months there the 5 hours or so of footage that make up the series doesn't really show a lot or go in depth on anything.

Edited by LakotaDakota

My favourite Japanese 'documentary' is the YouTuber 'hiding in my room', aka. the Japanese Onision. His videos are utterly mad. Perhaps the most infamous one is where he gets a UTI from his sex doll. 

Â