Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Hand on heart loving Dracula dead and loving it. Best thing on telly so far this year. 

I also like the fact that Dracula and A Christmas Carol have both outraged  the gammons, due to the feminism, swearing, homosexuality and brown people (none of which existed in the Old Days, you know). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I also like the fact that Dracula and A Christmas Carl have both outraged  the gammons, due to the feminism, swearing, homosexuality and brown people (none of which existed in the Old Days, you know). 

My wife's nan told us she was disgusted by the opening pissing scene, fast-forwarded it, heard Scrooge swear, and switched it off in outrage. She was still livid when she told us the following day. Grandad agreed, saying that people wouldn't have said the F word in Victorian times. (Both of them swear no end, by the way.)

5 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

My wife's nan told us she was disgusted by the opening pissing scene, fast-forwarded it, heard Scrooge swear, and switched it off in outrage. She was still livid when she told us the following day. Grandad agreed, saying that people wouldn't have said the F word in Victorian times. (Both of them swear no end, by the way.)

The Telegraph newspaper TV critic felt that having it serialised over a few nights ruined a Dickens classic and they shouldn’t have messed about with the format.

I genuinely suspected it was a joke, but apparently not.

• Like 2

Well tbf there just haven't been enough traditional versions of the story since its original release almost two centuries ago. In fact I bet barely anyone even knows the story...

On the other hand, I saw the Guardian gave it five stars - think it's the only place that was so generous. Bloody papers. Truth for me is it was somewhere in the middle. Some interesting ideas but weird pacing and overall a bit meh after a largely promising first episode.

Ep 2 of Dracula loads better than the first.

Will be tuning in to see where it's going, hope I don't have to roll my eyes too much.

For these writers, some of the lines have been horribly predictable and lazy.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ep 2 of Dracula loads better than the first.

Will be tuning in to see where it's going, hope I don't have to roll my eyes too much.

For these writers, some of the lines have been horribly predictable and lazy.

My guess is that they had several ideas to how to approach it, and they've basically tried to use all of them. 

So, ep1 was a heavily camped-up tribute to the Hammer films. 

Ep2 was like a stage play, with all the action confined to the ship, and the interplay of characters like a country house murder mystery (except of course we all know whodunnit). 

I suspect ep3 will be a wisecraking, carchasing Sherlock/Dr Who mashup. 

On 01/01/2020 at 16:11, wazzap24 said:

I need one or more of you to dive in and give ‘Messiah’ a go on Netflix. 

I can’t tell if looks really good, or really shite. 

I have very limited room in my schedule for a new show - I need VT assistance with this one. 

I'm on episode 3 and leaning towards it being utter horseshit.  I'll stick with it a bit longer and report back.

• Thanks 1

No idea why I stuck with it and watched the 3rd episode of Dracula but I did.

Really wish a hadn't, that was garbage. Ended up fast forwarding quite a bit so at least it didn't take too long to get through it.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

No idea why I stuck with it and watched the 3rd episode of Dracula but I did.

Really wish a hadn't, that was garbage. Ended up fast forwarding quite a bit so at least it didn't take too long to get through it.

Yeah, I could see what they were trying to do, but in the end I thought ep3 failed quite badly. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Dracula was excellent for my money. Followed with the Soft Cell doc on BBC4. Marvellous. 

Yeah I caught the majority of the Soft Cell doc, thought it was really good.

Loved them when I was younger, I’ve had many a Marc Almond 12 inch in my time but currently they do feel a little bit dated so don’t get played too much. I did genuinely like them and the extended 12 inch singles were a great art form and a great dance night. That Soft Cell really really pissed off my ‘rocker’ of a dad was purely coincidental.

Say Hello was the an obvious fave, Torch Song was also stand out, along with plenty of others. They were a little bit of a guilty secret I suspect as we were still supposed to be solid in our Clash / Jam / whatever sensibilities.

• Like 1

Dracula. Ep 1 I thought was very very good. Ep 2 was still good, if not a tad slow.

Ep 3 was rubbish, so just like Sherlock which started brilliantly and then declined badly to utter garbage 

Mark Gatiss is not as clever as he thinks he is 

• Like 1

James May in Japan is brilliant on Prime. I basically watched the whole 6 episodes in one go on Sunday.

There's a touch of idiot abroad to it but more informative.

For anyone that does watch it the part with the travel companion calling him Bim had me in stitches, one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

Â