Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

32 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Wurzel Gummidge. Lasted 5 mins.....utter shite. Jon Pertwee must be turning in his grave.

Couldn’t believe how poor it was - not only the new Worzel look but the script and acting were so stilted it was funny (but not in a good way!) 

We will not bother to watch the conclusion probably much to my kids relief! 

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

What’s ‘The Expanse’ like VT? 

I need a new thing to fill out my current TV Schedule and it looks promising. 

It's good for a ScFi fan. Held my attention for 2 seasons. Mrs isnt a fan though

Anyone else tried "Startup" ? It's gripping stuff so far and I'm halfway through season 2

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

I think it's extremely overrated, but then again I've not read the books.

For me it's a 6/10 bang average show but not poor by any stretch.

It's supposed to be gritty hard sci-fi but I just can't get into it. The world in the show doesn't really work for me, it's almost but not quite.

Apparently there is a lot of people who do like it, a lot, so it may very well be up your ally.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

It's supposed to be gritty hard sci-fi but I just can't get into it. The world in the show doesn't really work for me, it's almost but not quite.

Apparently there is a lot of people who do like it, a lot, so it may very well be up your ally.

Did you get past S1? 

Looking at the reviews on RT and Metacritic, it seems to get better and better after S1 - which has mixed reviews. 

S2/3 & 4 score really high 

Just now, wazzap24 said:

Did you get past S1? 

Looking at the reviews on RT and Metacritic, it seems to get better and better after S1 - which has mixed reviews. 

S2/3 & 4 score really high 

I'm a couple episodes into S4 but I'm at a point where I'll only watch if there is absolutely nothing else to do.

I think the high scores for S3-4 is partly down to casual watchers like myself dropping off and only the hard core fans staying on. As I mentioned some people really like it a lot.

I'd say the acting is soap opera telly level poor in many places, but perhaps that's me not understanding how future space people are expected to act.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

It's good for a ScFi fan. Held my attention for 2 seasons. Mrs isnt a fan though

Anyone else tried "Startup" ? It's gripping stuff so far and I'm halfway through season 2

I've watched Startup on Prime. Enjoyable, not amazing, but not shite by any stretch of the imagination. Great filler if there's nothing else on. When Ron Pearlman is introduced it gets a tad better.

Edited by stuart_75

2 hours ago, sne said:

I'm a couple episodes into S4 but I'm at a point where I'll only watch if there is absolutely nothing else to do.

I think the high scores for S3-4 is partly down to casual watchers like myself dropping off and only the hard core fans staying on. As I mentioned some people really like it a lot.

I'd say the acting is soap opera telly level poor in many places, but perhaps that's me not understanding how future space people are expected to act.

That’s made my mind up. 

I can’t tolerate bad, soap opera level acting - I had to give up on Altered Carbon and Manifest because of the Eldorado standard of acting/dialogue. 

4 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I love the expanse but it does confuse me a bit sometimes which isn’t hard mind

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have recently binge watched QB1: Beyond The Lights

It’s a fly on the wall documentary following some of the most promising quarterbacks at high school level in the US. It’s fascinating to see how they are basically minor celebrities at such a young age (way moreso than a promising young footballer in this country), but with that comes various pressures. 

These lads have, in some ways, already made it because of their status as a local celebrity (arguably as national celebrities in the circles of top-tier high school football) but at the same time they haven’t yet reached the big time, so haven’t made anything at all. It’s interesting to see how they handle it, conduct themselves on the field/in day to day life, and keep grounded (one or two don’t and clearly have an obvious arrogance due to their talent).

Definitely one for sports fans as a whole and not just those who watch American Football. 

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I have recently binge watched QB1: Beyond The Lights

It’s a fly on the wall documentary following some of the most promising quarterbacks at high school level in the US. It’s fascinating to see how they are basically minor celebrities at such a young age (way moreso than a promising young footballer in this country), but with that comes various pressures. 

These lads have, in some ways, already made it because of their status as a local celebrity (arguably as national celebrities in the circles of top-tier high school football) but at the same time they haven’t yet reached the big time, so haven’t made anything at all. It’s interesting to see how they handle it, conduct themselves on the field/in day to day life, and keep grounded (one or two don’t and clearly have an obvious arrogance due to their talent).

Definitely one for sports fans as a whole and not just those who watch American Football. 

Sounds interesting, must investigate - what channel?

Edited by rjw63

21 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Sounds interesting, must investigate - what channel?

Netflix.

Not as good as Last Chance U but still very watchable. Even if each season seems to have 1 or 2 arrogant clearings in the woods who you're begging to have a knee snapped ASAP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Netflix.

Not as good as Last Chance U but still very watchable. Even if each season seems to have 1 or 2 arrogant clearings in the woods who you're begging to have a knee snapped ASAP.

I’ve seen two seasons so far. Two of them in the first season (Martell and Bowers) come across as horribly arrogant whereas the three lads in the 2nd season are much more humble and grounded.

On 27/12/2019 at 14:13, sne said:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â