Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I need one or more of you to dive in and give ‘Messiah’ a go on Netflix. 

I can’t tell if looks really good, or really shite. 

I have very limited room in my schedule for a new show - I need VT assistance with this one. 

I always thought Mark Gatiss would do a decent version of Dracula.

I was wrong. What the actual **** was that? An attempt to be more contemporary with a classic story by adding rolling eyes humour? Shite.

Just now, Designer1 said:

I was wrong. What the actual **** was that? An attempt to be more contemporary with a classic story by adding rolling eyes humour? Shite.

Very good production values, but camp as Stalag Luft III. His M. R. James ghost story on Xmas Eve was pretty sub-par, too. 

Enjoyed the end of His Dark Materials.

But, as predicted

Spoiler

The impact of them crossing into a new world was lost somewhat by the fact we'd already seen people crossing worlds due to them bringing forward that part of the story. 

So that was a bit disappointing.

Also I felt like the ending felt a bit low budget. Seemed very obvious they weren't shooting on location anywhere (which is obviously fine, it just looked a bit obvious to me)

Enjoyed it overall though. A far better effort than the movie and looking forward to, presumably, the next couple of seasons.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

On 01/01/2020 at 22:32, Designer1 said:

Actually, after episode 2, it's growing on me. And I wasn't expecting the reveal into ep 3 - they've done a 'Sherlock'. It definitely has something. 

On 31/12/2019 at 21:00, Bizzzle said:

Mr Robot is **** amazing! 

Mmm, not sure. Basically watched all four seasons with a mixture of bemusement, confusion and reluctance. Just got round to watching the finale and can now sum it up...

Spoiler

Inside Out (Pixar Film) for adults.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, after episode 2, it's growing on me. And I wasn't expecting the reveal into ep 3 - they've done a 'Sherlock'. It definitely has something. 

That ending...urgh...

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the historical drama series Vienna Blood on BBC2.

although similar to The Alienist (also excellent) and Ripper Street, with the story revolving around police teaming up with a doctor/psychologist, the three feature length episodes all had good plots and didn't have to rely on gore and boobs!

9 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Mmm, not sure. Basically watched all four seasons with a mixture of bemusement, confusion and reluctance. Just got round to watching the finale and can now sum it up...

Reveal hidden contents

I get what you mean about the finale but I absolutely loved the show

Just now, mjmooney said:

Well, it's Gatiss/Moffatt, what did you expect? Makes a change from yet another 'trad' Dracula, anyway. 

Gatiss is a huge fan of gothic horror and has a particular obsession with Dracula. I would have expected him to write something that didn't turn one of the most iconic horror characters of all time into a jokey used car salesman.

Such a wasted opportunity. It's well produced, nicely shot and has some great actors in it (always loved Dolly Wells) - And I really, really wanted it to be brilliant as I've looked forward to it for ages because like Gatiss I'm a huge gothic horror geek. So yeah, to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

• Like 1

I’ve only watched the first episode of Dracula so far, but it was weird and I can’t decide if I liked it or not. 

For a Beeb thing, I thought the effects were excellent and the scenes with the twisted, contorted bodies were pretty good horror fare. 

Then Dracula spoke and I thought I’d accidentally switched over to ‘Carry On Dracula’ or something. 

I don’t get why he’s so camp and comedic, when the rest of it is quite dark and serious? 

Very odd. 

13 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah i'm not keen, Mr.Robot is a big mess. Finally watched season 4 and meh, it's ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Gatiss is a huge fan of gothic horror and has a particular obsession with Dracula. I would have expected him to write something that didn't turn one of the most iconic horror characters of all time into a jokey used car salesman.

That's exactly what I did expect him to do. 

Â