Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

GoT is nothing like the pulpy fantasy of Warhammer and so on IMO. It's arguably less fantasy than LoTR in many ways.

Actually, LotR is the beginning and the end of fantasy for me (mainly the book, but the films are fine, too). The only one of its genre that I ever need - much like Led Zeppelin are the beginning and the end of heavy metal, no need for the imitators. 

• Like 1

you don't need to be a fantasy nerd or pervert to enjoy Game of Thrones..... but it probably helps :)

Personally I think brilliant. Me and the missus only started watching it cos we nearly felt obliged to cos everyone was banging on about it (we live in N.I and its big news here because of filming locations etc.). The first episode or two didn't really grab us but once it sucks you in its really good. And the memorable/famous scenes are properly jaw dropping

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, LotR is the beginning and the end of fantasy for me (mainly the book, but the films are fine, too). The only one of its genre that I ever need - much like Led Zeppelin are the beginning and the end of heavy metal, no need for the imitators. 

Given how wide the genre is I find that a little sad. Tolkien was obviously highly influential on high fantasy, and genre tropes flow from there, but I wouldn't call the rest of the genre imitators. Sure there's some bad wannabes, but even just taking a small sample there's a world between Tolkien, Martin and Pratchett's stuff and I wouldn't want to cut that off at the neck stopping at Tolkien.

GoT is really a different beast to Bilbo and co. They share dragons and some other fantasy elements, but there's little shared otherwise.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Given how wide the genre is I find that a little sad. Tolkien was obviously highly influential on high fantasy, and genre tropes flow from there, but I wouldn't call the rest of the genre imitators. Sure there's some bad wannabes, but even just taking a small sample there's a world between Tolkien, Martin and Pratchett's stuff and I wouldn't want to cut that off at the neck stopping at Tolkien.

GoT is really a different beast to Bilbo and co. They share dragons and some other fantasy elements, but there's little shared otherwise.

Kind of my point. Those other books are different to Tolkien, and lose some of the stuff that I like, while adding stuff that doesn't float my boat. Same with the heavy rock. 

It will be interesting to see what Sony Pictures do with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan that is in development.

That series makes GOT appear like a short novel with it's 13 books (and 1 prequel) between 600-1000 pages each.

I really loved that series growing up and since it took so long to finish that I was 35 when the final book came out :)

By then Robert Jordan had sadly passed away it the final book was finished by another guy named Sanderson who did a pretty lousy job and didn't really understand the characters.

I don't even think Tolkien holds up particularly well, these days. It's a must read for anyone who's really in to Fantasy, or literature students; it's a hugely important piece of work, it was certainly genre defining,. But holding it up against more modern work, it's just not really very good.

I appreciate Tolkien's work, for what he created, but I don't enjoy it.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Great last episode from peaky blinders, not back until 2019 though 

I thought it was the last ever episode so was quite disappointed

Spoiler

I feel the writers bottled it by not killing Tommy or Arthur(in what was a laughable unbelievable plan)

I also thought the vendetta was over too quick

On 12/20/2017 at 22:16, sharkyvilla said:

I think my heart stopped beating for a minute I was laughing so hard at the mask bit in Taskmaster.

only discovered taskmaster last week or so - have been binging my way through them - fantastically enjoyable!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

On the last episode of punisher, this show is bloody awesome

I've only seen the first episode, but if that sets the tone, I can't wait to watch the rest. 

Love a bit of bone crunching violence me. 

On 20/12/2017 at 23:44, Zatman said:

I thought it was the last ever episode so was quite disappointed

Hide contents

I feel the writers bottled it by not killing Tommy or Arthur(in what was a laughable unbelievable plan)

I also thought the vendetta was over too quick

It’s the one problem with there only being 6 episodes per series. It would benefit greatly from being 8-10. They do have to rush the stories a bit, but it’s still absolutely bloody brilliant. 

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I've only seen the first episode, but if that sets the tone, I can't wait to watch the rest. 

Love a bit of bone crunching violence me. 

You wont be disappointed.  This is how defenders should have been

Â