Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah to hardy has done the same, been on screen 3 maybe 4 times and every time has been brilliant with big speeches 

His “who am I?” speech was absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

OK, so it's decided.

I've started re-watching Game of Thrones from season 1.

Watching episode 1 now. Only 70 or so hours to go.

Mrs M and I watched the first episode and didn't like it. She's now saying we should perhaps give it another try. Personally, I don't want to. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Mrs M and I watched the first episode and didn't like it. She's now saying we should perhaps give it another try. Personally, I don't want to. 

I've seen the whole series and for the most part it's great.

But since I've not read the books I've forgotten, missed or confused so much that it's wort a re-watch.

Would not do that if it wasn't a very good series.

Give it another go.

Unless fantasy is not for U, because then I'd probably skip it if I were you.

Then again, boobies...

Fantasy is not for me, and - while I like boobies as much as the next man - I thought the sex and nudity was gratuitous. The whole thing smacked of fodder for fifteen year old Warhammer fans. Yawn. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Fantasy is not for me, and - while I like boobies as much as the next man - I thought the sex and nudity was gratuitous. The whole thing smacked of fodder for fifteen year old Warhammer fans. Yawn. 

I mean, I think that the popularity of the series, including with women, suggests that it very much transcends the 'fifteen year old Warhammer fan' demographic (and I know exactly what you mean). However, I think the first episode is a pretty reasonable proxy for the rest of the series, so I'm not sure whether you would see anything that changed your mind. 

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, I think that the popularity of the series, including with women, suggests that it very much transcends the 'fifteen year old Warhammer fan' demographic (and I know exactly what you mean). However, I think the first episode is a pretty reasonable proxy for the rest of the series, so I'm not sure whether you would see anything that changed your mind. 

TBH I'm slightly surprised that Mrs M is even considering watching it. I think it's because both of our daughters are huge fans of the show - and they are both VERY right-on feminists. 

In many ways the fantasy side of Game of Thrones is window dressing, particularly early on. Most of the first 3 series is based on something approaching political intrigue with some background 'oogey boogey' that barely matters. Even the gratuitous nudity dies off quickly after the first series, as per HBO's schtick.

It has a few strong female characters that aren't just tits and arse to gawp at that remain throughout the show.

It's hardly high art but certainly for 3 series at least it's a very good well made show, wobbles a bit when the story itself does I understand in the book, and in its newest series it's still well made fun bumf.

I guess it's because I'm a history geek, but I just think that if they're going to do a War of the Roses-style political intrigue-plus -sword fighting epic, then they should do the actual Wars of the Roses, and drop the dragons (or whatever they have in GoT). 

It's why I prefer Vikings and Versailles (both of which have plenty of blood and boobies). I tend to watch with a book (and Wikipedia) to hand, to check the background stuff. Sad, I know. 

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I guess it's because I'm a history geek, but I just think that if they're going to do a War of the Roses-style political intrigue-plus -sword fighting epic, then they should do the actual Wars of the Roses, and drop the dragons (or whatever they have in GoT). 

It's why I prefer Vikings and Versailles (both of which have plenty of blood and boobies). I tend to watch with a book (and Wikipedia) to hand, to check the background stuff. Sad, I know. 

Did you give “The Last Kingdom” a go?

It contains a fair bit of violence and a little bit of nudity, but it’s never over the top, History wise, as far as I know it’s fairly accurate.

40 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Did you give “The Last Kingdom” a go?

It contains a fair bit of violence and a little bit of nudity, but it’s never over the top, History wise, as far as I know it’s fairly accurate.

I tried it, but gave up, as it wasn't a patch on 'Vikings'. Also, it's based on Bernard Cornwell's books, which I think are shit. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'd say the nudity and violence is quite gratuitous in the first season or two. But it does tone down after that.

It's still there, but it gets rarer and only pops up when it really needs to be there. Which i much prefer.
But it's not for everyone.

There are a number of strong female characters in the series which is probably why your daughters approve.

It's probably worth committing to the first season. 10 episodes. If you don't like it after that then you probably never will.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The nudity is actually made up to be a bigger deal than it is. Spread out over 70 h it's less than in any given movie.

I think you're right in not bothering if you don't like fantasy, It's a huge world with tons of characters. If you just watch casual you'll miss a lot and then it becomes a fodder for Warhammer fans series.

Perhaps you can try History Channels new series Knightfall about the templars.

Sadly after 2 episodes it looks a bit meh.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

The nudity is actually made up to be a bigger deal than it is. Spread out over 70 h it's less than in any given movie.

I think you're right in not bothering if you don't like fantasy, It's a huge world with tons of characters. If you just watch casual you'll miss a lot and then it becomes a fodder for Warhammer fans series.

Perhaps you can try History Channels new series Knightfall about the templars.

Sadly after 2 episodes it looks a bit meh.

Yeah, I saw the trailers for Knightfall, didn't fancy it. I say I like historical dramas, but actually very few of them hit the spot for me. 

Â