Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

21 minutes ago, sne said:

I imagine the 8 episodes

Do we know if they are doing the whole book in 8 eps, or are further 'seasons' (ugh) planned? 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Do we know if they are doing the whole book in 8 eps, or are further 'seasons' (ugh) planned? 

Never know considering the guys who are producing it...

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

See the thing is, I've read LotR and seen the films, and that's the beginning and the end of the fantasy genre for me. I've occasionally dipped a toe in that stuff over the years, but without exception it's left me cold. I did watch the first episode of GoT, thought it was twaddle. So I don't give a monkey's about whatever their names are (never heard of them until the last few posts) bailing on it. They get a clean slate from me. And 3BP is hard SF (see elsewhere for my antipathy to the term 'sci-fi'), so rather more to my taste. So far (3 eps) it's promising. That's all I care about. If it fizzles out, I'll drop it, and watch something else. It's only a telly programme at the end of the day. 

I think the issue people have with them is now a lack of trust. They invested years in watching season after season of the show, investing time and emotion into the characters and storyline, for a show many saw as the best ever, only to then feel betrayed at the final moment because the producer's had something better to do and phoned it in.

A bad analogy but imagine it's the last game of the season, we're challenging for 4th and only need a point. Then the lineup is announced and we have a squad full of u18s and get tonked, all because the main players all went out partying the night before. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I think the issue people have with them is now a lack of trust. They invested years in watching season after season of the show, investing time and emotion into the characters and storyline, for a show many saw as the best ever, only to then feel betrayed at the final moment because the producer's had something better to do and phoned it in.

A bad analogy but imagine it's the last game of the season, we're challenging for 4th and only need a point. Then the lineup is announced and we have a squad full of u18s and get tonked, all because the main players all went out partying the night before. 

John McGinn just sitting there, hung over with his Starbucks.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Fair enough. I can see that would be a bit disappointing, but I've never been that invested in a TV series. 

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Id say the analogy would be that we were chasing 4th, 3 games left over the course of 3 weeks and villa decided to play 3 games in 3 days instead because they didn't want to wait any longer and end up knackered and stumbling on the finish line 

Again I'm not that invested or interested in the guff as to why but I consider it a hbo business decision as much as the writers, they needed another series, not a clue if the numbers were dropping, I'm guessing not seeing as they have these spin offs so maybe they were all just fed up of it by the end

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

but I consider it a hbo business decision as much as the writers, they needed another series, not a clue if the numbers were dropping, I'm guessing not seeing as they have these spin offs so maybe they were all just fed up of it by the end

Nah, sorry, this isn't a very well informed understanding of how it played out. HBO were pushing for additional seasons. They offered D&D as much time as they wanted, with the initial offer (at the end of season six of eight) being another 3 or 4 seasons. D&D went for 2 more.

HBO wanted more episodes, and more seasons (D&D have publicly acknowledged this). GRRM publicly expressed his surprise that they were wrapping it up so quickly (thinking it would probably go to season 12-13). The showrunners unilaterally said no, this ends here. 

Presumably the contracts they had when they were initially given the IP gifted them the power to kill the golden goose.

Perhaps there was something else behind the scenes that hasn't come to light since, or maybe it was just that the showrunners wanted to go and make Star Wars.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

That's the thing Mike.

GoT at its height transcended modern culture. It was the ultimate 'water cooler' tv show and millions were that invested in it.

It was the biggest thing that has ever been on TV in my lifetime and probably ever will be.  

There was a workplace ‘Game of Thrones’ WhatsApp group to discuss it. 

Prior to the final season, we had that predictions sheet that over 80% of my office filled in. Results were then logged on a whiteboard weekly. There was a prize for the winner. 

On Tuesday mornings, people came into work early to discuss it. Even with staff coming in early, no work would get done until about 10am. 

I knew lots of people who would avoid internet and entertainment channels between 2am and 10pm every Monday so they didn’t get spoilers from the 2am American airing until the Sky airing in the UK at 10pm.

This was happening in offices and countries all throughout the western world. You simply had to be part of it to understand it. 

• Shocked 1

For 3 series Game of Thrones is in the running for best TV show ever made. Crazy high production quality, lots of excellent characters and acting (ironically not including most of the main characters), and it's exceptionally well written with multiple extremely well plotted arcs and narratives that genuinely create intriguing and smart storylines. After that it wobbles and starts to decline but is still very good for a session, then begins to nosedive until the final 2 series where it completely abandons the smart character stuff and becomes a single minded spectacle generating machine trying to finish it's central plot at double quick pace even if doing so makes no sense, requires characters to do things that are completely inexplicable but necessary to create dramatic moments and push the plot, and puts character 'development' in the bin in favour of 'they're doing this now' level writing.

It's become clear in the aftermath that the showrunners didn't want to do it anymore now they had other projects come knocking and agreed to finish it for the studio on an accelerated timescale to get out and done asap, showing they had no respect for the audience and didn't care that they were the reason they had Disney begging them to do a Star Wars show and other studios ringing them with blank cheques. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

It was the biggest thing that has ever been on TV in my lifetime and probably ever will be.  

Prior to the final season, we had that predictions sheet that over 80% of my office filled in. Results were then logged on a whiteboard weekly. There was a prize for the winner. 

On Tuesday mornings, people came into work early to discuss it. Even with staff coming in early, no work would get done until about 10am. 

I knew lots of people who would avoid internet and entertainment channels between 2am and 10pm every Monday so they didn’t get spoilers from the 2am American airing until the Sky airing in the UK at 10pm.

This was happening in offices and countries all throughout the western world. You simply had to be part of it to understand it. 

Who shot JR, so far in my lifetime that has been the biggest thing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

I mean I watched it, I read it and I loved it but that's mad

21 hours ago, ender4 said:

Obviously not a lot of work being done in those offices ;)

It passed me by, and no-one at my workplace was that massively into it (publicly, at least). Obviously I have heard of it, but never fancied it. 

I'd say Breaking Bad/24/Lost were all mentioned more at my workplace. 

Appreciate that is just my experience! We're just a bunch of bankers anyway :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Anyway 3BP is incredible so far

Yep. 3 episodes to go for us. Surely there will have to be more than 8 ? 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. 3 episodes to go for us. Surely there will have to be more than 8 ? 

Haven't finished it yet but:

‘3 Body Problem’ Creators Say Season 2 Will Be Even Better. Will They Get One?

David Benioff, Dan Weiss and Alexander Woo on how the second season will be stronger than the first, and whether Netflix will double down on its pricy sci-fi epic: "The story takes a huge leap in book two."

• Thanks 1

Should finish The Gentlemen this evening - on the whole, it’s been an entertaining watch. 

Will move onto and start 3BP later in the week (after Shogun Wednesday!)

• Like 1

Â