Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

17 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Watched this so many times, very funny.

Have you watched Early Doors? If you like Phoenix Nights i'd say you'll like ED as well and thats on Daily Motion.

Very late to find Early Doors but yep, ranks very very highly - Definitely in the top ten, the last episode with the Coppers was amazing.

• Like 1

Finished Masters of the Air last night. It was very good, but it didn't blow me away at all.

CGI was a little naff (I do appreciate this would've been much harder to make look great), but the main disappointment was the character development. Apart from Buck, Bucky & Crosby (maybe Rosie too) there just wasn't much there at all. They nipped Crosby's story with the British spy in the bud with a phone call, the escape through France & Spain was just ended after they arrived to Paris too.

It was always going to get compared to Band of Brothers & The Pacific but doesn't hold a candle to either. We all knew that BoB was arguably the best miniseries ever but it also really does highlight how good The Pacific was.

12 minutes ago, Milfner said:

It was always going to get compared to Band of Brothers & The Pacific but doesn't hold a candle to either. We all knew that BoB was arguably the best miniseries ever but it also really does highlight how good The Pacific was.

It would have been much better if they'd done the 'missing 4th part' from the original book of The Pacific, which followed a dive bomber pilot. 

It seems I'll be going against the grain here but I've just finished Masters of the Air and really enjoyed it. Nothing will ever come close to Band Of Brothers but I thought this was on a par with The Pacific.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 08:13, Seat68 said:

Watched the first episode of The Gentlemen and I will finish it, but I felt it didn't have the pace of a typical Guy Ritchie piece. 

I thought it was great and I conclude that Vinny Jones is a better actor than he was a footballer.

• Like 1

Just laughing at GOT, when young Tommen gets his first taste of Margery and says, " This is all I want to do, all night and every day," oh! To be young again!

Edited by sheepyvillian

Hearng that beautiful Edith Piaff song in The Gentlemen makes me want to rewatch the superb French film about her life, which has one of the finest actress performances you could wish to see.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Just started The Gentlemen tonight, episode 1 was a great opener so we're looking forward to the other 7! 

I've been doing one a day and each one is better than the last. I've just finished episode 4.

• Like 1

Finished Boarders. First episode promised so much but in the end i felt it ended up nothing more than a modern day posh Grange Hill.....I don't know.....perhaps I was hoping it would be edgier or darker/sinister ?

I'm enjoying Shōgun so far. Can see the effort gone into the costuming and the show always grabs your attention in quiet and loud moments which is usually a very good sign 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

I'm enjoying Shōgun so far. Can see the effort gone into the costuming and the show always grabs your attention in quiet and loud moments which is usually a very good sign 

The series (and indeed, Clavell's excellent novel) are based on the true story of William Adams. His story is well worth a read. 

imageresize.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Toranaga is Ieysu Tokogawa, the setting is the late sengoku period 

Id go back slightly further than when shogun is set but not at the start of sengoku, just go to a guy called oda nobunaga, he's the first big character, hideoshi toyotomi being the second (he's the old guy who died leaving the young emperor in shogun) then Tokogawa, those 3 between them unified japan 

Edit - and hoping that shogun is a big global success the next one that needs the big budget TV show is romance of the three kingdoms, a semi fictional book from the han dynasty period in China (dynasty warriors if you know it - and to be fair a bit of my Japanese history comes from samurai warriors) that's got more content to cover, would be like a Chinese game of thrones, there's already been some films on it like red cliff

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â