Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

42 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

My dislike for Gervais has stopped me even starting Afterlife 

pretty much like the sky one sports quiz hosted by the unfunny fat bloke. 

I loved The Office and liked a lot of other stuff but this was all his worst bits wrapped up in one programme imo.  Especially his acting in it, **** me.

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I loved The Office and liked a lot of other stuff but this was all his worst bits wrapped up in one programme imo.  Especially his acting in it, **** me.

I just find RG painfully plays the same gurning sad sack in everything he appears in. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

On both

With a league of their own try and start with the road trips where corden is missing for the majority of it

It’s gone a bit stale now but it was a genuinely funny show for a long time, proper laugh out loud stuff. 

I don’t get the hate for Corden to be honest, he come across as pretty inoffensive and seems like an ok bloke to me? The show is better when he hosts. 

It’s not hit the heights since Jack Whitehall left. Another marmite type that a lot of people hate, but Flintoff, Redknapp, Whitehall and Corden was peak ALOTO. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I just find RG painfully plays the same gurning sad sack in everything he appears in. 

Can't really say I agree.

I mean he makes no effort to look or sound different. But David Brent is very different to Andy from Extras who is very different to Derek who is very different to Tony in Afterlife.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Can't really say I agree.

I mean he makes no effort to look or sound different. But David Brent is very different to Andy from Extras who is very different to Derek who is very different to Tony in Afterlife.

But they're all still 'gervais' - he's the same when interviewed

I'm just not a fan sorry. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

But they're all still 'gervais' - he's the same when interviewed

I mean they look like him and sound like him because they have his face and voice... but no they're not Gervais at all.

Gervais is nothing like David Brent, or Derek.

He's probably closest to Andy Millman because he's involved in TV and has written a sitcom. But he's still not like him character wise from what I can see.

• Like 1

Ricky Gervais I can see how some might not like him.

But for me he is brilliant.I think he is very brave as a comedic writer,he often touches on issues like rascism ,suicide and disability  but carries it off because it’s very funny and is presented with care.The comedy feels very much on the edge and if he gets it wrong it could be the end of his career.

For me he is doing something different in these shows not following the accepted norms.The characterisations are very strong for example Gareth,Finchy In the office and the therapist in Afterlife and ultimately and most importantly they are funny.

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

It’s not hit the heights since Jack Whitehall left. Another marmite type that a lot of people hate, but Flintoff, Redknapp, Whitehall and Corden was peak ALOTO. 

Just let me roll a grenade into a room with them lot in. Job done. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 16/08/2020 at 22:28, Bizzzle said:

Just finished rewatching the oldish channel 4 TV show Uptopia the other day. Why they cancelled that show I'll never know! They are making an American version of it which is coming out soon but probably won't be as good. Also just finished watching season 2 of Umbrella Academy which I think I enjoyed more than the 1st tbh

Am also rewatching this based on this very post (thank you for that)

Fantastic show and some elements are eerie to watch in the current climate

• Like 1

Finished blacklist season 7, the last episode was interesting... 

Its hit and miss, perfect background TV, the swings in Liz and Red mistrusting and back stabbing each other has worn thin, season 6 when they actually explained everything was very good, season 7 when they threw that explanation in the bin was a bit shit 

16 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

It’s gone a bit stale now but it was a genuinely funny show for a long time, proper laugh out loud stuff. 

I don’t get the hate for Corden to be honest, he come across as pretty inoffensive and seems like an ok bloke to me? The show is better when he hosts. 

angry clint eastwood GIF

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean they look like him and sound like him because they have his face and voice... but no they're not Gervais at all.

Gervais is nothing like David Brent, or Derek.

He's probably closest to Andy Millman because he's involved in TV and has written a sitcom. But he's still not like him character wise from what I can see.

I remember years back when Noel Gallagher recorded Freelove Freeway with Ricky Gervais he said that Ricky WAS David Brent, he wasn't acting in the show, its how he is. He has probably worked hard to get away from perception since then.

The Office is probably my favourite show of all time. I enjoyed extra's too. I've not watched Derek or Afterlife but not sure why. They look a bit heavy.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Started Banshee. Couple of episodes in.

It's meh so far. Apart form a lot of sex I'm not sure what it's really about so far.

It's meant to be really good right?

It's kinda shit all the way through tbh, yet I found myself really liking it for some reason. It's the type of TV show that I'd watch a couple of episodes of and think it's bang average and never look at again, but for whatever reason I remained interested. Though, I've never been able to figure out why. This doesn't help you one bit 😂 - My advice is to stick with it a bit. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Started Banshee. Couple of episodes in.

It's meh so far. Apart form a lot of sex I'm not sure what it's really about so far.

It's meant to be really good right?

Yes.

Total escapism, most of it makes no sense but it's still must-watch.

Job is a great character, and The Rabbit!

And I especially like Hood's ability to come back from a savage beating and still kick arse...and later look out for his permanent Kodja-esque wrist bandage.

• Like 3

I watched a few episodes of Banshee a while back, enjoyed it, can't remember why I didn't carry on. You have to buy into the fact it's absolute trash, but it's trash done really, really well.

Also once you notice the lead has a dent in his forehead, you'll never stop noticing it.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

I remember years back when Noel Gallagher recorded Freelove Freeway with Ricky Gervais he said that Ricky WAS David Brent, he wasn't acting in the show, its how he is. He has probably worked hard to get away from perception since then.

The Office is probably my favourite show of all time. I enjoyed extra's too. I've not watched Derek or Afterlife but not sure why. They look a bit heavy.

Well I've obviously never met him, but I've listened to a lot of Gervais podcasts and radio shows and stand up and interviews and he never comes across as being like Brent. His mannerisms and appearance is, obviously. But his actual character is nothing like Brent

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I watched a few episodes of Banshee a while back, enjoyed it, can't remember why I didn't carry on. You have to buy into the fact it's absolute trash, but it's trash done really, really well.

Absolutely this.

Edited by PieFacE

Â