Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Amusing considering that even by the standards of his time, Lovecraft was horrendously racist.

He sure was, and as expected the show has been getting tons of 1's and 10's on IMDB.

I thought the first ep was OK, a 7/10 maybe. I don't think they managed to get that stifling sense of dread that at least I associate with Lovecraft (then again this isn't a Lovecraft story so they might not be aiming for that). And they didn't manage to create that sticky atmosphere that for example the first season of True Detective did. Again they might have not been aiming for it.

A bit too action heavy and the use of modern music in one scene was a bit misplaced. But all in all it was pretty good, will certainly keep watching. But I was hoping for more tbh. Early days so can go either way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

He sure was, and as expected the show has been getting tons of 1's and 10's on IMDB.

I thought the first ep was OK, a 7/10 maybe. I don't think they managed to get that stifling sense of dread that at least I associate with Lovecraft (then again this isn't a Lovecraft story so they might not be aiming for that). And they didn't manage to create that sticky atmosphere that for example the first season of True Detective did. Again they might have not been aiming for it.

A bit too action heavy and the use of modern music in one scene was a bit misplaced. But all in all it was pretty good, will certainly keep watching. But I was hoping for more tbh. Early days so can go either way.

I am hoping to find time tonight to watch it. (Probably should be in the film thread) I watched Color Out of Space last night, I expected a load of rubbish considering it had Nicolas Cage in it, and was quite surprised that it wasn't complete cack. Even the wife didn't hate it.

Just now, bielesibub said:

I am hoping to find time tonight to watch it. (Probably should be in the film thread) I watched Color Out of Space last night, I expected a load of rubbish considering it had Nicolas Cage in it, and was quite surprised that it wasn't complete cack. Even the wife didn't hate it.

Yeah that one was pretty good, trippy. 

I really like the Carpenter/Clive Barker inspired low budget horror flick The Void that has a very Lovecraftian vibe to it. It doesn't have a high rating on IMDB but it's very much my type of thing.

As for Lovecraft Country, if you watched HBO's Watchmen series last year this will be a very familiar experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

I really like the Carpenter/Clive Barker inspired low budget horror flick The Void that has a very Lovecraftian vibe to it. It doesn't have a high rating on IMDB but it's very much my type of thing.

As for Lovecraft Country, if you watched HBO's Watchmen series last year this will be a very familiar experience.

The Void is excellent. Definitely one of the movies to get even close to the Lovecraft vibe. I thought Color out of Space was very good indeed. That and Mandy would make a nice, trippy, fever dream double bill.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Brilliant documentary

I’ve since discovered things like YouTube runs etc, but when my mate showed me this doco years ago it opened my eyes to this world. I had no idea this niche community existed let alone how serious it was.

2 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I’ve since discovered things like YouTube runs etc, but when my mate showed me this doco years ago it opened my eyes to this world. I had no idea this niche community existed let alone how serious it was.

I'd recommend a YouTube channel called Summoning Salt.

He does excellent mini documentaries on gaming speed runs. He himself is a speed runner for Mike Tyson's Punchout so a lot of his videos, especially his earlier ones, are about that. but he does plenty of other games too. 

It's surprisingly interesting stuff

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So has anyone seen Power? It seems highly rated I just haven’t got the desire to start watching it for some reason.

Someone on here said it was complete pony, so based on that expert review I avoided it. Far better stuff out there to explore.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Someone on here said it was complete pony, so based on that expert review I avoided it. Far better stuff out there to explore.

See everyone I speak to say it is really good. But then many of these same people also refuse to watch GoT so I can’t take them seriously. It’s got an 8.2 on IMDb though which should mean its watchable.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So has anyone seen Power? It seems highly rated I just haven’t got the desire to start watching it for some reason.

Loved the first few seasons, binge watched them.

The last couple of seasons were awful and I was glad when it came to an end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

Loved the first few seasons, binge watched them.

The last couple of seasons were awful and I was glad when it came to an end.

I hate shows like that, the "I'm invested now" variety - The Walking Dead is the worst for me, I just wish one side would win rather than just re-roll the same tripe season after season. I had to stop watching The Fall at the start of season 3 because it felt like it was losing its way. I wonder if these are consequences of binge watching TV or just long running TV shows? Having said that I never binged TWD or GoT. But Bullseye was great from start to finish!  

On 17/08/2020 at 11:21, sne said:

On 17/08/2020 at 12:23, Designer1 said:

The Void is excellent. Definitely one of the movies to get even close to the Lovecraft vibe. I thought Color out of Space was very good indeed. That and Mandy would make a nice, trippy, fever dream double bill.

Thanks for the tips, just watched The Void, although it 'borrowed' lots, I still enjoyed it. So glad it wasn't plagued with poorly done CGI. Thanks, keep the tips coming.

• Like 1

Bit of an old one, and I think you can only get it on YouTube now but Booth at the end I thought was absolutely excellent. First series more than second but if you want to watch something different watch that

Â