Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They must have done it for a reason, for sure. All I'm saying is that I don't believe the claim that The Witcher is the most-watched series ever, when they've just made the metric measuring this massively easier before its release. 

Oh yeah, I agree with that. Was just thinking out loud

15 hours ago, coda said:

Enjoyed the first episode of Picard. Great performance as usual from Pat Stew.

Do you have to be a Star Trek fan to like/understand it? I saw a trailer for it and it looked good but I am not really a Star Trek fan although I quite like the recent films

Quite a lot of this thread now seems to be about series being cancelled, rather than series being good, which makes me wonder why so many series are cancelled so soon. Someone mentioned that Netflix contracts are often only for two series the other day, but I don't know how many series that is true for or if it's the main reason. 

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Quite a lot of this thread now seems to be about series being cancelled, rather than series being good, which makes me wonder why so many series are cancelled so soon. Someone mentioned that Netflix contracts are often only for two series the other day, but I don't know how many series that is true for or if it's the main reason. 

It must make it hard for writers too.  There probably would have been a big pay off in Mindhunter eventually with the BTK vignettes they've put in to each episode but if they never get that far then what was the point.  Then some programmes obviously get a new series they weren't really planning for and it goes to shit pretty quickly.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It must make it hard for writers too.  There probably would have been a big pay off in Mindhunter eventually with the BTK vignettes they've put in to each episode but if they never get that far then what was the point.  Then some programmes obviously get a new series they weren't really planning for and it goes to shit pretty quickly.

Very good point, yeah, I hadn't thought of that.

Watched the first 2 episodes of hip hop evolution series 4, not quite what I was expecting because they've stepped back in time again but it's in the south so NO, Houston, Memphis etc

I like it because if I'm honest I really don't know these artists and at times I'm even struggling to see where it's leading up to in modern hip hop, for example last series watching the atlanta episode I knew outkast was coming, in the NO episode I didn't know that was leading to lil Wayne 

But at the same time I'm guilty of wanting them to get on to the superstars I do know

Its a bit of a juxtaposition 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of hip hop evolution series 4, not quite what I was expecting because they've stepped back in time again but it's in the south so NO, Houston, Memphis etc

I like it because if I'm honest I really don't know these artists and at times I'm even struggling to see where it's leading up to in modern hip hop, for example last series watching the atlanta episode I knew outkast was coming, in the NO episode I didn't know that was leading to lil Wayne 

But at the same time I'm guilty of wanting them to get on to the superstars I do know

Its a bit of a juxtaposition 

I love hip hop but didn't know this series existed. Thanks. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

I love hip hop but didn't know this series existed. Thanks. 

Me and another poster have talked about it before (looking at you Dr pangloss??) 

Its good, the people they manage to put in front of the camera is really impressive, the host doesn't ask many questions on screen so he's hard to judge, would love to see some of the stuff on the cutting room floor

I'm really keen to get in to Picard. However, my interest in Star Trek evaporated in about 2002 (I can say that with confidence as it was when Nemesis came out). I didn't bother with Enterprise, the reboot movies, or Discovery. I have incredibly fond memories of TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9, though, as well as the movies.

As such, I find myself wanted to jump straight in, but my memory is patchy on some of the finer details of the lore, and Picard's story (as well as some of the other characters who will be appearing such as Data, Riker, 7 of 9 and Hugh). Fortunately, there are a number of 'essential' TNG episode lists floating around which will fill in some blanks...but as I started to look at these things, I found that I wanted to see everything that involved the Borg, Q, and Sela as well. So, I made my own list combining some of the popular 'essential' ones, plus bits of bobs I've picked up from my own research. It covers a lot of bases, so is pretty lengthy...I don't know if we have any proper die hard Trekkies on here, but if we do, suggest any obvious omissions (I have purposefully not listed 'essential' Voyager episodes, so stuff like the alleged classic "Year of Hell" is not required. I was also very tempted to include The Naked Time from TOS, as The Naked Now is a sequel to that episode (itself included for Data's character arc, plus it's tenuous link to Sela given Yar's involvement) but I may as well watch every single episode ever if I want to delve that deep). 

Spoiler

Key - E= Essential TNG, Q = Q appearance, B = Borg appearance, V = Voyager, S = Sela appearance

1. Encounter at Farpoint (Season 1, Episode 1) – E

2. The Naked Now (Season 1, Episode 2) - E

3. Hide and Q (Season 1, Episode 9) – Q

4. Skin of Evil (Season 1, Episode 23) - E

5. The Neutral Zone (Season 1, Episode 26) – B

6. The Measure of a Man (Season 2, Episode 9) – E

7. Q Who (Season 2, Episode 16) – E, B, Q

8. Deja Q (Season 3, Episode 13) – Q

9. Yesterday’s Enterprise (Season 3, Episode 15) - S

10. Allegiance (Season 3, Episode 16) – E

11. Captain’s Holiday (Season 3, Episode 19) – E

12. The Best of Both Worlds (S03E26 and S04E01) – E, B

13.  Family (Season 4, Episode 2) – E

14. Qpid (Season 4, Episode 20) – E, Q

15. The Mind’s Eye (Season 4, Episode 24) – S

16. Redemption (S04E26 and S05E01) - S

17. Darmok (Season 5, Episode 2) – E

18. Disaster (Season 5, Episode 5) – E

19. Unification (S05E07 and S05E08) - S

20. I, Borg, (Season 5, Episode 23) – E, B

21. The Inner Light (Season 5, Episode 25) – E

22. True Q (Season 6, Episode 6) – Q

23. Q-Less (DS9 Season 1, Episode 7) - Q

24. Tapestry (Season 6, Episode 15) – E, Q

25. Starship Mine (Season 6, Episode 25) – E

26. Descent (S06E26 and S07E01) – E, B

27. Gambit (S07E04 and S07E05) – E

28. The Pegasus (Season 7, Episode 12) - E

29. All Good Things (Season 7, Episode 25) – E

30. Star Trek : Generations – E

31. Caretaker (Season 1, Episode 1) – V

32. Death Wish (Season 2, Episode 18) – V, Q

33. The Q and the Grey (Season 3, Episode 11) – V, Q

34. Unity (Season 3, Episode 17) – V, B

35. Star Trek : First Contact – E, B

36. Scorpion (S03E26 and S04E01) – V, B

37. The Raven (Season 4, Episode 6) – V, B

38. Drone (Season 5, Episode 2) – V, B

39. Dark Frontier (S05E15 and S05E16) – V, B

40. Survival Instinct (Season 6, Episode 2) – V, B

41. Collective (Season 6, Episode 16) – V, B

42. Child’s Play (Season 6, Episode 19) – V, B

43. Unimatrix Zero (S06E26 and S07E01) – V, B

44. Imperfection (Season 7, Episode 2) – V, B

45. Q2 (Season 7, Episode 18) – V, B

46. Endgame (S07E25 and S07E26) – V, B

47. Star Trek : Insurrection – E

48. Star Trek : Nemesis - E

I think it's safe to assume by the time I've worked through all of that (currently on number 7) the whole of the new series will be available to watch.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 10:23, bannedfromHandV said:

Started watching The Passage earlier this week and halfway through it, pretty bloody good to be fair.

Such a massive waste. 

The source material is made for a big budget TV adaptation and it could have been one of the greats. 

Instead of doing it properly, they half-arsed it at Fox and It’s been binned after 1 season. 

I hope somebody else picks it up one day, but Ridley Scott and Fox have the rights I think, so it’s unlikely. 

If you’ve never read the books, they are magnificent - Probably my favourite books of all time. 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 14:28, Bizzzle said:

Do you have to be a Star Trek fan to like/understand it? I saw a trailer for it and it looked good but I am not really a Star Trek fan although I quite like the recent films

Try the first episode. I think you can enjoy the series on its own and if you're confused, or want more detail, there should be explanations online where geeks congregate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's definitely time for them to call an end to IASIP. It's a couple of really poor seasons in a row.

I've only watched a couple of episodes in the latest series but only really laughed about twice and that's just because of Charlie and Frank.  I'd rather they just did a spin off with those two, **** the rest.

Â